• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

End of Season Ski Care?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hi

I just did a search in this Fourm using the words "end of season wax" and searched back to last season and didn't see any results.

Does anyone have a recommended process or link to one?

I know about waxing and not scraping as well as backing the bindings off. Just wanted to know what else might be a good idea to do.

As for the side edges would it be better to take the bar of wax or even a candle and rub it on the side edges instead of letting the hot wax run / drip over onto the side edges?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I know this will probably start a debate but I wouldn't mess with the bindings. I also don't think you'll get enough wax on the edges by rubbing it on. :huh:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
As for the side edges would it be better to take the bar of wax or even a candle and rub it on the side edges instead of letting the hot wax run / drip over onto the side edges?

The biggest issue i have had with storage was not with the bases but really with the edges rusting. So, in the last few years I started tuning my skis, and I always make sure to go through the edges before storage (gummy stone for the base edge, and both gummy and diamond stones on the side edges). Then I wax as usual. (+/- scraping, I don't pay a lot of attention to that)

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wondered if this topic would come up. I'm putting our skis into hibernation (doesn't look good for any more use this season) and here's what I do:
Sharpen the edges then wax with Ch/UR 10 after cleaning the bases with a brass brush. I make sure the bottom edges are covered with wax then while the edges are still warm I rub the side edges with the same wax making sure to get a good coating on them. I don't back off the bindings. Stored upright in the basement (no room upstairs, although I'd find a spot if my wife wouldn't complain). I may try @Scotskier's advice on the wooden block.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
For wax during the season (Lake Tahoe) I have been using Purl Purple. Should I put this on for storage? Or should I put on a cheaper general purpose wax? If so any recommendations?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For wax during the season (Lake Tahoe) I have been using Purl Purple. Should I put this on for storage? Or should I put on a cheaper general purpose wax? If so any recommendations?
Just use whatever wax as long as it is nonflouro wax, as there are tales that flouro will dry out your base. Plus flouro is pretty much a no no now for enviro reasons.
There is little point in using cheaper wax, unless you have a fleet of 1000skis, how much money do you think you will save?
even if you had a fleet of 1000 skis, how much are you saving vs the labor?

Reactions: Ogg

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I work outdoors so the first nice spring day I do a full tune, then hot wax them with Purl Purple. (My son gave me a lifetime supply of Purple, I have no idea what that costs.) If I can't get them flat and sharp they go to the shop for a base grind, but that usually has to wait until October. I store them upstairs with some wax paper or silicon tape between them at the contact points to prevent rusting. I'll put them out in the sun some hot day in the summer once or twice to soften the wax to help absorption. That last step is silly but I like doing it. I scrape and brush them the last nice day in October.
I really look forward to having perfectly prepared skis for the first day. After that it's sharpen as needed + liquid wax.

dm

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My shop guy told me not to overwax for summer. He said it was inevitable that moisture would creep in and then get trapped on edges. He says that then he has to spend time removing rust from people's edges before he can do a pre-season tune.

Seems like decent advice for edges...but not for bases, which I want to keep from drying out. Thoughts?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Live in Nevada. Dry the edges, separate them with two Pugski straps, and no rust. I love the dry climate for metal longevity!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My shop guy told me not to overwax for summer. He said it was inevitable that moisture would creep in and then get trapped on edges. He says that then he has to spend time removing rust from people's edges before he can do a pre-season tune.

Seems like decent advice for edges...but not for bases, which I want to keep from drying out. Thoughts?
It makes sense in the NE. It gets quite swampy here in the summer.
Live in Nevada. Dry the edges, separate them with two Pugski straps, and no rust. I love the dry climate for metal longevity!
I haven't really found a way to keep my edges completely rust free. I'm watching the bed of my 10 year old truck rust away. :nono:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Keep wax off the edges. After waxing, and of course not scrapping, go with scraper over edge (both base and side edge) to remove any way and leave skis in dry place. This way you have way less chances for edges to get rusty then if you leave wax on edges. Personally I was never bothering with bindings. I left them like they are, either they were my racer's skis that were used on world cup or my own, and I still never bother with that. I still think this is more myth then anything else.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I live in the Northeast, used to do storage wax, but stopped doing it about 3 years ago. Skis stored in the garage. No rust, no problems.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I live in the Northeast, used to do storage wax, but stopped doing it about 3 years ago. Skis stored in the garage. No rust, no problems.
Mine will rust in the garage but I live close to salt water. The basement is actually worse even with a dehumidifier.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Block of wood between the skis to keep the camber......:popcorn:

I still do that.:roflmao:

20180506_132344_Silverthorne Lane.jpg

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
My storage area at the Condo at Schweitzer is pretty cool and dry. In the past I have done what all others are saying: Edge work, clean base, was as usual, leave was on edges, store, come new season you scrape and go. But this year I am going to skip it all and check on them thru out the summer and see if the storage wax is needed at my place. If I see an issue I will wax em up.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

This ^^^

Someone is inevitably going to mention oiling their edges. That is a no-no, too. You don't want oil getting close to your bases.

As far as bases, your bases are plastic and won't 'dry out'. Waxing them for the summer won't hurt them but my recreational skis don't usually get put away waxed. They also don't get put away with base burn which is what most people call 'drying out'. Base burn is from abrasion with sharp snow crystals. If you put your skis away with it, they'll come out of storage with it. If you wax your skis with it and put them away, when you scrape, they'll still have it. It won't be as obvious but after a few runs, it'll be there. Base burn can only be physically removing it. This is commonly done with a stone grind, but a metal scraper can do it too.

The only thing that can happen to your bases whether you wax or not (if they are stored in a not too hot, dry space without undue amounts of UV light) is that they get dusty. Wax will protect from that and give you the same benefits as repeated waxing/scraping/brushing of new skis or newly ground skis, which is a very minor performance/speed increase. I only do that for my race skis.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
An abrupt end to the season meant my skis are "as is" in my locker in the basement of the SP Village Day Lodge which is quite warm and dry.

I don't back off the binding DIN setting.

Isn't that camber preserving block of wood between the skis left over from the 60's when most skis had little or no fibreglass or metal? IMO. a block of wood is right up there in usefulness with a boot press.

Sponsor