• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Electric edge tuners (Razor Tune, Rhombus, Swix/Toko): looking for advice

skimantech

Booting up
Skier
I guys, here’s a review of 4 Electric edge sharpener I’ve tested in race and recreational application. (I'm a very experience ski tuner, coach and father that require fast and effective ski tuning, time is important)
  • Razortune
  • Swix Evo
  • SnowGlide Rhombus
  • SnowGilde AF-C

• Razortune: Great machine, Recreational skiing, and Club racing,
    • Pro: Sit on the base of the ski thus simple to use and provide a very decent sharp edge, less prone to error, cheap, portable battery possibility, easy to change stone, spring loaded.
    • Con: Doing the extremity of the ski is tricky, changing angle is longer than other machine (different angle plate), no ability to see or to influence the stone pressure (less or more) on the ski, lower quality stone

• Swix Evo: Good machine Recreational skiing and light club racing,
    • Pro: Decent sharp edge, very cheap, light for transportation, easy to change angle, easy to change stone.
    • Cons: Sit on the side of the ski therefore easier to do error by a not handyman person. Many ski racer burr the edge by slipping the machine. No ability to influence stone pressure, lower quality stone.
  • Snowglide Rhombus: Good machine Recreational skiing and club racing,
    • Pro: Sit on the base, very simple to use and less prone to error, easy to do the extremity of the ski, easy to change angle, easy to convert to battery pack (little work to do) gravity do the pressure on the stone, ability to influence the stone pressure with your finger. Mid-price range.
    • Cons: Good finish but could be sharper.

• Snow glide AF-C: “The ultimate Machine”, Recreational through World Cup racer.
    • Pro: Sit on base and extremely easy to use, very less prone to error by young racer (my 11year old daughter is using it), by far the easiest one to do the extremity of the ski, easy angle adjustment, edge are extremely sharp (best one by far), many stone offering, very high quality "CBN" stone, easy to convert to battery pack (little work to do), ability to influence stone pressure with finger, for me the cord is not an issue on my bench, I very appreciate the fact I could see the stone grinding over the transparent plastic cover it really help, can even work without vice but not recommended, no depth adjustment required because it's spring loaded.
    • Cons: Buy once cry once, “But you will smile after first use.”
Recap Review
Sharpness
/ 10​
Easiness of use
/10​
General
/10​
Razortune
8​
8​
8​
Swix Evo
8​
6​
7​
Rhombus
7​
9​
8​
AF-C
10​
10​
10​

Remember : Ski can only be has great has great the tuning is. This apply for recreational skier and world Cup racer...

Last edited:

gwat

Putting on skis
Skier
^nice reviews. That snowglide looks unreal!

I’ve just started using the Swix Evo. I find it pretty easy to use and gives a nice finish, my only gripe is that there is interference between the machine and the brakes on a lot of my skis. This would not be a problem at all with bindings mounted on a plate but most of my skis are Look Pivots mounted flat to the ski. I have to finish the edge underfoot by hand. That is not the end of the world buut..
My hand tools are Sidecut 88 degree tools. The Swix Evo set at 88 is much more acute. Set at 89 it is closer to matching the angle of my hand tools but not perfect. Perhaps if the machine could do half degree increments I’d get a better match. Long story short my edge angle is not consistent underfoot with the hand tool finish.
I don’t see a solution to this problem other than switching to Razortune. Can anyone confirm the RT machine will not interfere with flat mounted Look Pivots?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
^nice reviews. That snowglide looks unreal!

I’ve just started using the Swix Evo. I find it pretty easy to use and gives a nice finish, my only gripe is that there is interference between the machine and the brakes on a lot of my skis. This would not be a problem at all with bindings mounted on a plate but most of my skis are Look Pivots mounted flat to the ski. I have to finish the edge underfoot by hand. That is not the end of the world buut..
My hand tools are Sidecut 88 degree tools. The Swix Evo set at 88 is much more acute. Set at 89 it is closer to matching the angle of my hand tools but not perfect. Perhaps if the machine could do half degree increments I’d get a better match. Long story short my edge angle is not consistent underfoot with the hand tool finish.
I don’t see a solution to this problem other than switching to Razortune. Can anyone confirm the RT machine will not interfere with flat mounted Look Pivots?
People pay extras for variable edge tuning!

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
I guys, here’s a review oAFf 4 Electric edge sharpener I’ve tested in race and recreational application. (I'm a very experience ski tuner, coach and father that require fast and effective ski tuning, time is important
Great first post! Thanks.

Snowglide AF-C sounds like a terrific sharpener. I'm very happy with my cordless Razor-Tune, which is way less than half the price of the AF-C.

Have you tried the Snowglide Rhombus sharpener, which is their entry level product and closer in price to the Razor-Tune?

skimantech

Booting up
Skier

skimantech

Booting up
Skier
I have the sidecut sharpener, before sidecut starting selling them. https://www.sidecut.com/product/ELC_EDG_SHRP_WC.html

The AF-C looks like a much better version.

I have always been curious about the Carrot edge sharpener too.

This year I have gone back to manual edge tuning.
Dear Dwight,

I've never used the sidecut machine, can you tell us why you went back to manual edge tuning.

On my side, going back to manual edge grinding is only and only when it is impossible to use the AFC.

Have a great ski day!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Dear Dwight,

I've never used the sidecut machine, can you tell us why you went back to manual edge tuning.

On my side, going back to manual edge grinding is only and only when it is impossible to use the AFC.

Have a great ski day!

1. I have to file by hand first to set the angle. Though for regular maintenance of edges, it works well.
2. A little cumbersome.
3. Manual is therapeutic and I have it down to be fairly quick.

Some day I will take the time to make point 2 disappear, but not now.

PeterMN

Booting up
Skier
My Snowglide AF-c was delivered the other day. So far I've only used it on old skis to get the hang of it.

This thing is AWESOME!

It is almost un f-up able... and like I said I'm a new user, although I have quite a bit of experience hand tuning, and I can get my kids race skis extremely sharp by hand.

The AF-C does not seem to take very much edge off on a pass... some of the skis I've been practicing on were very dull and it takes multiple passes to get them sharp... so I am guessing that a hand file would remove more edge on average than the af-c, I say that because I was surprised that I had dull areas when I ran the machine down the edge multiple times I would have expected a file to have them sharp by then, but it would be difficult to know for sure.

Anyway my concern was that I would be taking off a bunch of edge and potentially reducing the life of the skis. I am not concerned about this at all anymore.

One more thing... the af-c does not seem to leave a hanging burr on the base edge, as I believe that the cutting is down or cuts towards the topsheet.

I expect that I will be saving a lot of time with this thing.

wow awesome product!

good luck

pmn

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
My Snowglide AF-c was delivered the other day. So far I've only used it on old skis to get the hang of it.

This thing is AWESOME!

It is almost un f-up able... and like I said I'm a new user, although I have quite a bit of experience hand tuning, and I can get my kids race skis extremely sharp by hand.

The AF-C does not seem to take very much edge off on a pass... some of the skis I've been practicing on were very dull and it takes multiple passes to get them sharp... so I am guessing that a hand file would remove more edge on average than the af-c, I say that because I was surprised that I had dull areas when I ran the machine down the edge multiple times I would have expected a file to have them sharp by then, but it would be difficult to know for sure.

Anyway my concern was that I would be taking off a bunch of edge and potentially reducing the life of the skis. I am not concerned about this at all anymore.

One more thing... the af-c does not seem to leave a hanging burr on the base edge, as I believe that the cutting is down or cuts towards the topsheet.

I expect that I will be saving a lot of time with this thing.

wow awesome product!

good luck

pmn
No hanging burr, but I still run a hardstone down the base edge since it is so easy, fast and no risk of ruining a ski day!

PeterMN

Booting up
Skier
Another update regarding the Snowglide AF-C.

After a week of practice I feel very comfortable with the results and have started to use the AF-C on my kids race skis with success.

Including set-up and take down/clean up I am able to save significant time, over a progression of hand tuning with diamonds (I would save even more time if I were to be using a file and then diamonds).

Regarding angles -

For hand tuning I have always exclusively used the SVST Pro Stainless Steel machined guides... found here - SVST SS Pro
I feel as though SVST SS guides are the standard by which other guides should be compared.
The AF-C angles match my SVST SS guides exactly, I spent considerable time comparing/testing angles with the machine and by hand. I ran the machine down a side and then used the hand guide with a 400 grit to check the evenness of removal of the pattern, angles line up perfect, I cannot tell a difference.

Regarding dust -

Yes there is some dust, and it is fine dust, but its not all that bad and the dust seems to stay fairly close to the work area... after a couple minuets I wipe down the bench and vacuum up the rest. I also use compressed air and the vacuum to clean up the machine.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another update regarding the Snowglide AF-C.

After a week of practice I feel very comfortable with the results and have started to use the AF-C on my kids race skis with success.

Including set-up and take down/clean up I am able to save significant time, over a progression of hand tuning with diamonds (I would save even more time if I were to be using a file and then diamonds).

Regarding angles -

For hand tuning I have always exclusively used the SVST Pro Stainless Steel machined guides... found here - SVST SS Pro
I feel as though SVST SS guides are the standard by which other guides should be compared.
The AF-C angles match my SVST SS guides exactly, I spent considerable time comparing/testing angles with the machine and by hand. I ran the machine down a side and then used the hand guide with a 400 grit to check the evenness of removal of the pattern, angles line up perfect, I cannot tell a difference.

Regarding dust -

Yes there is some dust, and it is fine dust, but its not all that bad and the dust seems to stay fairly close to the work area... after a couple minuets I wipe down the bench and vacuum up the rest. I also use compressed air and the vacuum to clean up the machine.
I suggest you wear a respirator. I do, with 3m filters https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000152114/

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wear a respirator, its a must.

AF-C, have they made a battery version yet?

as for edges/burrs, I run the razor tune with a medium, and leave it as is, dont bother even with a gumi.

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
You could also use the vacuum attachment with the AF-C. I have mine hooked up to a shop vac with a HEPA filter and a HEPA bag (while also using a respirator).

PeterMN

Booting up
Skier
Yes I am using a mask... I will consider that respirator.

Attaching a vacuum seems like a lot of stuff that could catch on something and cause a disruption potentially leading to damage.

Deadslow is using the attachment,... anyone else use the vacuum attachment with success?

What vacuum and hose are you using... I would think that the flexibility and weight of the hose would be very important.

Good Luck

PMN

Sponsor

Staff online