• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Edge angles Ranger 102 ?

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just bought Fischer Ranger 102. Shop said edge angles; base 1 degree and side 3 degrees. I would usually side tune at 2 degrees, 3 seems a little more groomer and or race tune. Anyone know what factory tune is or recommendation ????

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Just bought Fischer Ranger 102. Shop said edge angles; base 1 degree and side 3 degrees. I would usually side tune at 2 degrees, 3 seems a little more groomer and or race tune. Anyone know what factory tune is or recommendation ????

Believe it or not, Fischer does send those out the door with 1 & 3. I think they just like keeping the machines at one setting for all the consumer skis they sell.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had some Ranger 115 that I confirmed had a 1/3 tune using magic marker and diamond stones when new, and then by the shop I use for season tunes. I just couldn't believe Fischer would put that on a powder ski!

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I had some Ranger 115 that I confirmed had a 1/3 tune using magic marker and diamond stones when new, and then by the shop I use for season tunes. I just couldn't believe Fischer would put that on a powder ski!
I am confused on your comment - what difference does a 1/3 tune have on a powder ski? Help me out here.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am confused on your comment - what difference does a 1/3 tune have on a powder ski? Help me out here.
Thats what I thought, are still using 1/3?
using for 2-6 in days and on piste too but you are probably right on powder use. Demo'd yesterday and was amazed how good this 102 ski was on groomers. At 81 have given up backcountry etc. and use lifts to find my powder places.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I kept them at 1/3 while I owned them, and they skied well on groomers despite their size. We don't get much deep powder here, but were fun for the few times I could put them through their paces. At 115, really more of a big mountain western ski, but I'm a big guy and always liked the Rangers I demoed.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
3 degree side edge on my Enforcer 100 & 110's and my sons 115 Pro, You will appreciate it when hitting the groomed between powder runs and if icy or packed bumps are under the POW. No drawback in powder & crud, but big gains on groomed and ice! Leave em at 1/3

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
3 degree side edge on my Enforcer 100 & 110's and my sons 115 Pro, You will appreciate it when hitting the groomed between powder runs and if icy or packed bumps are under the POW. No drawback in powder & crud, but big gains on groomed and ice! Leave em at 1/3
Thanks Atomicman have always valued your opinion

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I really so not remember when I last tuned my DPS Pagoda 112 touring skis. New wax, for sure. I might use my edges with a falling leaf entering a icy or wind scoured steep slope. Other than powder conditions, I might encounter a skim crust or short sections of breakable crust. Clearly I am in the minority on skitalk.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agree I have always used 1/2 in my skis except groomer/hard snow skis
I had a former mogul coach at Killington recommend leaving skis at 1/2 if I planned to use them a lot in the bumps, and did so with some Dynastar Legend X88 and M-Pro 90. But if a ski comes at 1/3 like the Rangers then I leave them alone. Also some Brahma 82 and Rossignol Hero Elite LT. Just keep them all sharp!

Sponsor

Staff online