• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Echo Mountain Saved!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Saw this Denver Post article and, well.....
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/09/echo-mountain-sells-peter-burwell/

Sadly, this story is going to get buried by the VR- Whistler thing.

Snip from article.
Burwell, 27, is the son of Rod Burwell, the renowned Minnesota entrepreneur and philanthropist who died last year. Burwell Enterprises developed a reputation for reviving flagging businesses, investing in a hotel in Madison, Wis., a fishing resort in Ontario, a water park at the Mall of America in suburban Minneapolis and, years ago, a satellite television venture that became DirecTV. The Burwell family was well-known in Aspen and once owned the Silvertree and Eldorado hotels in Snowmass Village.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Who has skied Echo Mountain?

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I think all the re-purposing has kept everyone off balance. It's a terrain park. Now it's a family area, No, it's a private race training facility. Now it's a public area. People might go there if they knew that it was going to be a public, family oriented ski area and could count on it being the same year after year. I might try it if I knew it was going to be an ordinary ski area and not some specialty place with a narrowly focused market.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
We stopped there on our way home from a ski trip to Breckenridge (March 2009). Distance is a little deceiving -- we could see it from the Interstate in Idaho Springs and it seemed like it would be a short drive, but once we exited in Evergreen it took a bit of a drive to get up there. At that time it had a terrain park vibe.

IMG_8170.JPG
IMG_8167.JPG
IMG_8168.JPG
IMG_8175.JPG
IMG_8169.JPG

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ahh, Minnesotans! That explains the appreciation for a 600 foot ski hill in the shadow of behemoths,

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied then Squaw Pass when it opened in the '60's. Think it had a T-bar and a rope tow, 3 or 4 trails all running down from the parking lot and tiny building that had heat and some food. The Creighton family owned and ran the place. Tommy was the on hill guy and his wife ran the ticket sales and food (hot chocolate and hot dogs at least). I'd go up during the week and ski with Tommy, carrying my daughter on my back in a Gerry Pack. Worked in s ski shop so had demo skis for him to use, while I used his 215cm wooden brutes. Straight running as I couldn't turn'em. Night skiing was the rope tow and regular light bulbs in sockets hanging over the trail in maybe three places.

Long ago.

James

Out There
Instructor
Bunch of eastern schools used to train there early season when it was recently a race hill. They had some webcams up also.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wasn't this the mountain bought a few years ago by some ski families to use for training?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We stopped there on our way home from a ski trip to Breckenridge (March 2009). Distance is a little deceiving -- you can see it from the Interstate in Idaho Springs and it seemed like it would be a short drive, but once we exited in Evergreen it took a bit of a drive to get up there. At that time it had a terrain park vibe.

View attachment 12172
You would think they would have one of these...
images

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January