• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

East Coast Skinning on Full Rocker Ski

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
We all skin with visions of powder and soft snow but my reality in Vermont is that it often is on hardpack to avoid crowds and get some fitness in. My current setup is Volkl 90Eight with Atomic Shift bindings. I have some Volkl 100Eights currently mounted with traditional alpine bindings and I am thinking of moving the Shifts to these skis. I find the 100Eights really versatile and would be even better for those VT power days when skinning.

My reservation is the traction/bite I'd get with the fully rockered 100Eights when on hard, groomed snow. I know they'll be fine when there is soft snow and/or fresh skin track but what are opinions on East Coast hard? It is a mild full rocker design but likely enough that the top/bottom 1/4 of skin wouldn't be doing much.

Thanks!

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ski's only one piece of the equation. The type of skins you have also matters, as does the length relative to your height/weight, and your level of experience with uphill travel influences whether you've developed the balance/finesse to work through the tricky spots. You've got width working in your favor, which increases your underfoot surface area.

Terrain also matters. On a groomer, you're probably not moving through ridiculously steep terrain and have room to make switchbacks if you do start to slide. I'd be more concerned about the well-trafficked skin tracks that compact and get icy, especially if they wind through tight trees.

If it really comes down to it, there's always the option to add ski crampons.

TS
T

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thank you for the help! I’m going to give it a try and keep fingers crossed for a good bounty in VT this winter. It’s coming......

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
As long as your hikes are not too long, they will be fine. That's a lot of weight (skis + bindings) to haul up the hill. Hiking one full bottom to top lap on any VT mountain will be fine. Multiple laps will start to get noticeably harder.

Sponsor

Staff online