• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Early april recommendations, Oregon

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi all

I will be in Oregon the first week in April, during the week. I never skied there. Any recommendations for a place to ski a few days?

My son will be with me. He likes bumps and groomers, not a big fan of offpiste but he'll grow into that. He just hasn't skied too often. I prefer bowls with natural snow and glades but not too tight. No need gor over the top expert terrain.

We prefer mom and pops rather than mega resorts. We have no megass, though we might have an ikon by then if things work out and they go on sale for next year.

Many thanks for any recommendations!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Ski bowl, Timberline or Meadows/North
Hoodoo, Bachelor, Willamette Pass/Central
Ashland/South.
Anthony Lakes/Eastern.
Depends on your location.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ski bowl, Timberline or Meadows/North
Ashland/South.
Anthony Lakes/Eastern.
Depends on your location.

yes, great point. We'll be visiting Universities, at Corvallis and Eugene. I am thinking we might want to base off Bend? I think that's a ski town?

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

So, I checked these three. Looks like Bachelor has much higher altitude and a lot more vertical than the other two, so in principle we would be staying in Bend and skiing Mt Bachelor. They have reasonably priced multi-day tickets. Is this looking like a plan? Thanks much!

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can vouch for Bachelor in May being absolutely awesome... I bet April's good, too. Ooops, I thought they were on Ikon, but @Jwrags is right, they're not.

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Just got back from Bachelor. Don't use my ph on the mt. Easy drive from Willamette Valley in April to Bend. You'll go right by Hoodoo/Santiam Pass. Enjoy the senery of the Cascades.
20190110_101827.jpg

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I can vouch for Bachelor in May being absolutely awesome... I bet April's good, too. They're on Ikon, but sounds like you'll need to wait and see whether an Ikon purchase this spring will get you days this spring there.

Bachelor in April should be good. I am pretty sure they are neither on Ikon nor associated with any of the other multi resort passes out there. However, they usually will start offering some spring passes that start after spring break, which is the end of March in Oregon.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Given your description of your needs, I would also recommend Bachelor. Very convenient to Bend, a big mountain, and great spring skiing.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Given your description of your needs, I would also recommend Bachelor. Very convenient to Bend, a big mountain, and great spring skiing.

Yes, high altitude is awesome in general, but particularly in Spring, the snow hold on much better!.

However, they usually will start offering some spring passes that start after spring break

@Mike Rogers posted a great deal for Spring, above. It's valid since March 31st. Perfect for us !!! That's that. I think I'm done with the search but I appreciate stoke, tips, and I might have some questions on Bend lodging later. You guys rock. No question my son is considering PNW beside CA for School :)

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Weather Update for Bachelor. +30" next few days which puts their snowpack over 100".

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
@Mendieta , when exactly are you going to be in the area and planning on being at Bachelor. I may be able to make you a great deal on lodging at my place in Sunriver, near Bend/Bachelor, depending on the exact datesogsmile

Also, depending on what your son wants to study, there is an Oregon State Campus in Bend he may want to look at, or rather you may want him to look at. My son has a friend heading there next year.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
@Mendieta , when exactly are you going to be in the area and planning on being at Bachelor. I may be able to make you a great deal on lodging at my place in Sunriver, near Bend/Bachelor, depending on the exact datesogsmile

Also, depending on what your son wants to study, there is an Oregon State Campus in Bend he may want to look at, or rather you may want him to look at. My son has a friend heading there next year.

Still working on the dates, thank you, will PM you. Also about camp, etc :)

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you're down around Corvallis and Eugene, then Bachelor will be the place to go. Willamette Pass and Hoodoo will likely not have enough snow in April. Bachelor is great in the spring, you should be able to find a clear day to take the Summit lift and ski any of 360 degrees of the volcano.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Bachelor seems to be a great spring choice. Spring passes are pretty affordable too.

https://www.mtbachelor.com/info/springtacular/

These are on sale now! Got one for MendietaJr and one for myself :thumb:
https://www.mtbachelor.com/sunchaser-spring/#ticketspasses

They print them out at the window on your first day. But we'll save some time by having already purchased them. Can't wait! Many thanks to all of you, and in particular @Jwrags for some additional tips offline!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ those are good deals, and they are planning to operate until Memorial Day. I might have to plan some spring skiing weekends after things close around here.

Last edited:
TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
After the mid-morning coffee break, we went up to the Summit. The bowl to skier's right was a lot of fun. We rode most of the lifts. I'll check tomorrow what we missed. Some more pictures.

Top of the hill:

20190331_114445.jpg

Coming down

20190331_115605.jpg
20190331_145354.jpg

The summit as viewed from mid-mountain (lunch place)

20190331_135219.jpg

And finally some tree fun, lower, where trees actually grow :D :

20190331_123859_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• Photos.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

Sponsor