• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Driving from SLC to Jackson Hole

Which is the best route, considering 1-2 hours of driving after sunset?

• 1) SLC to Evanston, then take 89 to 191 all the way up

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 2) I-15 to Soda Springs, then 34-89-191

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3) I-15 through Idaho Falls, then to Driggs and over the Teton Pass

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • 4) I-15 to Idaho Falls, then 26 through Swan Valley/Palisades, and 89 to 191

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 5) Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi all,

I'm excited to make my first trip to Jackson Hole. The current gameplan is to land at 1:15 PM in SLC on Tuesday (1-29-19) and then drive from SLC to Jackson. I'm starting to get pretty concerned about this drive, especially since it looks like the last two hours may be in the dark.

I have a "Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar" reserved with Budget, and after a lot of pestering, they were able to confirm it would be either AWD or 4x4.

It looks like there's three common routes from SLC to Jackson:

1) SLC to Evanston, then take 89 to 191 all the way up: This one's been described as a "back road" that's rarely plowed, with almost no service and desolate traffic. I'm thinking "absolutely not" unless someone has other input.

2) I-15 to Soda Springs, then 34-89-191: Interstate for half the drive, then another "back road" which is often unplowed with packed snow. Locals like this because it's the fastest, but I believe one forum member described this route as "some of the most white knuckle driving I've ever experienced." I'm also thinking no for this one.

3) I-15 through Idaho Falls, then 20 to 33 through Driggs, and over the Teton Pass: This seems the most appealing of the three because the interstate and Teton Pass look to be serviced more. That said, I've also seen Teton Pass described as one of the longest, steepest mountain passes in the country, so weather could be an issue. It's also occasionally closed due to weather.

In looking at the map, I'm wondering about a fourth route that I've never seen discussed:

4) I-15 to Idaho Falls, then 26 through Swan Valley/Palisades, and 89 to 191 to enter Jackson from the South: It looks like this might add 15-30 minutes compared to other routes, but it seems to avoid the steeper mountain passes while still spending most of the time on the interstate. The google street views from Idaho Falls to Alpine look fairly straightforward. From there it's mostly following the Snake River, so it doesn't look like much elevation change. But I've never seen this route mentioned before, and I have my concerns about blazing my own trail, especially since the 26 to 191 leg will be at night.

Any thoughts on all this? Obviously a lot depends on conditions.

(http://wyoroad.info/highway/webcameras/WYO22TetonPass/WYO22TetonPass.html looks to be a great resource)

If things look too bad, I may just say in SLC. But I really want to make it to Jackson! Preferably in one piece!

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I alternate between #2 and #3. If it snowing and the pass is open I would go that way. If it is not snowing and roads are not snowpacked, I like the Soda Spring route.

I voted for #2 based on your stated preferences.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I'd do option 3. More interstate gets you closer. Teton Pass, as long as it's open, is not too bad. Just drive slow. If you can't get over the pass, just ski Targhee.

Different question: why flying to SLC if you want to ski Jackson? There are daily MSP-JAC flights, either direct or through SLC, and wouldn't need car rental that way.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Option 3, going all the way up to Driggs and then back down adds some miles and time. By the time you get gear, vehicle and on the road you'll only have a few hours of daylight left. I'd go with the most direct route getting there.

Then consider doing a day at Grand Targhee to get a run through the pass. I don't know your return timing plans, but when doing Big Sky and Jackson trips in the past, I'd do Targhee the final day and then head back to SLC quite happy.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Flying in from the East Coast, I've made the drive a few times and once in sketchy weather, once in very sketchy weather. I'd guess the locals will have better information, but here's my take.

I'd suggest weather is the factor that may ultimately influence your route. Be flexible and make the call the day you land.

Despite the assessment of route #1 in your OP, this is the route I voted for as most likely to make it in any weather. Before I get to that, the other routes...

Clear weather, good roads, take Option #2, the I-15 interstate will get you north the fastest and it's a decent 2.5 hr drive from the Interstate into Jackson.

Bad weather, as in they are closing I-15, but you can squeak through I-80 before they close it. I suppose the best option is to stay put in SLC and make the drive the next day, but if you want to charge hard, Option #1, the drive up 89 isn't terrible. Yes, it will be snow covered, but it's pretty darn flat most of the way. There are a few low passes north of Geneva that I recall being a bit of a challenge, but nothing the 4WD Tahoe couldn't handle with ease.

I can't offer personal experience on Option #3 beyond I've driven I-15 south from Big Sky as well as the drive from Driggs to Jackson. I guess that is a reasonable route into Jackson, BUT if you're choosing that route due to inclement weather I'm thinking the pass most likely to close on any of these routes is the Teton pass. It wouldn't be a terrible option if you were forced to stay west of the pass (Driggs, Victor) for the night before crossing into Jackson in the morning. It will close for periods of time.

I also cannot comment on #4.

Have fun. I love Jackson. Easily in my Top 5. Get over and check out Grand Targhee if the opportunity permits. On occasions, GT will get significantly more snow that Jackson. It's a bit of a through-back gem to get you out of the high-end bro-bra culture @ JMHR

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Different question: why flying to SLC if you want to ski Jackson? There are daily MSP-JAC flights, either direct or through SLC, and wouldn't need car rental that way.
SLC was $300 cheaper, and I'm meeting up with 3 other skiers who couldn't find reasonable flights to JAC. By the time you charge 4 round trip shuttle costs, even if flying from JAC, the rental car was still cheaper.

In hindsight, I'm thinking the savings wren't worth the risk of the drive.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
i did a similar trip last year but went to GT first i went up to Idaho Falls- option 3, but i would not go this way right to Jackson Hole, it seems longer. and Rt. 33 is through a big plain, exposed to high winds, so even if there is not storm, any recent snow blows right across the road, causing snow packed sections, probably not a big deal if you are paying and attention and going slower.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
In hindsight, I'm thinking the savings wren't worth the risk of the drive.
Don't sweat it. Like I said, I've done this a few times and only had really bad weather once. Stay positive and take what comes to you. Missing a day sucks, but could be a lot worse. I always figured Snowbasin or PowMow were convenient enough if I ended up "stuck" in the Salt Lake area. Push for the 4x4 over the AWD, but you know that.
I once skied Snowbasin until 2 and then drove up to Jackson that afternoon/evening. Weather was good and I pulled into Jackson by 8.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Weather dependent- you can take US26 east out of Idaho Falls and turn north on ID 31 at Swan Creek- over Pine Creek Pass and drop into Victor. This is right at the base of Teton Pass on the Idaho side. Turn right at the light in Victor and you are on the road. I commute every two weeks for work in eastern Wyoming and this is the way I go. There is a very short 200-300- feet on ID31 that is under construction- rebuilding a bridge- automatic light- never have to wait more than one /two minutes. The ID hwy boys do a pretty good job on this road- quite a few folks that work in Jackson or in Teton Valley will use this. ID 33 north of Rexburg can be a bitch- drifts over pretty good sometimes- last week it was closed for a day but so was US 26 from Ririe to the state line.(I live between Ririe and Rigby). Driving along the Palisades and turning north at Alpine is a lot farther than you have estimated -more like an hour and 15 minutes or more from Swan creek. Much of the route along the Snake going to Jackson has a reduced speed limit and some slow traffic. Watch out for critters- 3 moose crossing the road at various points on my trip over last Tuesday and deer are numerous. Echoing others Ski the Ghee!

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you have an inkling, Kelly Canyon is a small local area just off US 26 to the north about 10 miles outside of Ririe. They have night skiing Wens- Sat. Family owned small area 4 doubles 1000' vert They have been getting good snow this year but we did get some rain snow mix at the house according to the better half so snow quality may be iffy. Since you mentioned something about night driving...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you decide to go up 89, be aware of the speed trap in Afton. The trooper is there 24/7. They use a mobil instant on unit.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't sweat it. .

I agree with Matt. Don't sweat what you can't control. Last year I did a couple thousand miles of driving in the northern Rockies with no snow delays
[ https://www.pugski.com/threads/northern-rockies-road-trip-part-1-utah-and-jackson.12568/ ]. If you get snow on your arrival, a 4wd will get you through most anything except conditions no one should be trying to drive through anyway. Your reward for snowy roads will be great skiing - eventually. I took your first option early last March. The trip was uneventful on flat, rural US-89 through a pretty, if desolate, section of western Wyoming. We did much of the drive at twilight, and the constant meandering of mule deer beside the road made me somewhat nervous. There were caution-animals-crossing signs for many miles along this route, but not much car traffic on a Sunday night.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January