• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dressing for long lift lines

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I've been lucky enough to ski midweeks for the past 25 years. With no lift lines I have my layers pretty dialed for me. Light Merino base layer, thin baggy jersey (so I don't look like a sausage), Nano-Air hoody or vest and a shell. Worked well for a wide temperature range to keep me warm and not to sweaty.

The pandemic crowds combined with Epic's reluctance to open more lifts have created 20+ minute lines at Hunter on Wednesdays. By about 15 minutes of standing still, I'm pretty chilly. Makes the lift ride no fun at all.

I'm trying to determine what to add or change. I own way to many layers. While wearing a down sweater or Nano Puff will keep me warmer, I've learned that I tend to sweat those out from the inside so they far from comfortable.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I would attack that by changing your base layer to something with better wicking. Your original post ("not to" sweaty" "sweat those out from the inside") makes me really doubt that merino base + baggy jersey combo is doing the job for you.

After you find the base layer that keeps you dryest with that Nano Puff, start changing mid layers.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I'm right there with ya.

Im used to skiing onto the chair or maybe waiting 5 chairs. Im really limiting my weekend skiing this year because of the crowds. 15-20 wait, 10 minute lift ride. 30 minutes between runs and I'm all stiff again. For me, on those days I've been overdressing. I normally wear a base and mid layer then add a puffy vest once it got down to 25f, then switched to a puffy jacket once it got down to 10f. On days I know it'll be busy Im adjusting that by 10-15 degrees. I always started wearing a balaclava under my helmet when it gets below 20.

If it's a groomer day and Im not working too hard I do alright, but if its off-piste and Im working hard I use my helmet, pit and pants vents ALOT when Im skiing, then close them up on the lifts.

-Chris

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Run, bike, xc. Not my preference, but it's what I'm doing. Long lift lines were a no-go even before Covid. Now ... non starter.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You could replace the thin baggy jersey with a quarter zip fleece that is not very baggy.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are getting that cold in the line, maybe you need to go electric. There is a vest thats electric, Shut it off when you ski, turn it on in line

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
If you are getting that cold in the line, maybe you need to go electric. There is a vest thats electric, Shut it off when you ski, turn it on in line
Not that motivated to invest in electric clothing for this (hopefully) one season. Only have to deal with this for a few more months then the mountains should be empty again during the week.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I wear an Arctica warmup coat when I think it may be too cold. It is big enough to wear over my regular gear. It only comes out for extreme cold but makes layering easier as my usual coat and layers are good to 10° F or so. Rather than change my usual layers under my coat I wear the warm up coat over. The other day when it was 0° F I did add another layer under my pants. But I ski at BlowinFridge and needed to be sure I stayed comfy.

I'll add a picture after I have lunch and access to the coat.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
1611954742290.png

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been lucky enough to ski midweeks for the past 25 years. With no lift lines I have my layers pretty dialed for me. Light Merino base layer, thin baggy jersey (so I don't look like a sausage), Nano-Air hoody or vest and a shell. Worked well for a wide temperature range to keep me warm and not to sweaty.

The pandemic crowds combined with Epic's reluctance to open more lifts have created 20+ minute lines at Hunter on Wednesdays. By about 15 minutes of standing still, I'm pretty chilly. Makes the lift ride no fun at all.

I'm trying to determine what to add or change. I own way to many layers. While wearing a down sweater or Nano Puff will keep me warmer, I've learned that I tend to sweat those out from the inside so they far from comfortable.

I used my red sox hat under my helmet and it was a huge difference last weekend. Maybe go with the Giants or Devils. Handwarmers. Coffee in the lodge ( maybe not great for ny). I got a spyder mid at dick's outlet for $20 its really warm. I am either slow or more efficient because i dont get too sweaty unless i wear a t shirt.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My warmup coat, worn over my everyday coat. It is long, has a hood that goes over a helmet and is otherwise minimalist. It has light insulation and big non-zip pockets and a two way zip.

IMG_20210129_143005581.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
What type of ski pants do you use? Maybe a pair of bib ski pants that come up high under your jacket in the front and back might help with out over heating you when skiing.

Sponsor

Staff online