• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks Doug, SR 95 and SR 107 are already in the rotation, just trying to nail down more of a front side carver to replace the Z90, a great ski, just looking for a front side that’s a bit more lively.
Thanks for the reviews

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 190#, 5' 11". I tested using a Fischer Vacuum RC4 Pro 130.

My history: I grew up skiing in NH, started racing at 13 or so and raced until I was 19. Skiing then became purely recreational and social until I tore an ACL and my recovery efforts got back into better shape than I'd been in a few years. At that point I started skiing more with my brother, a dedicated and experienced slack- and back- country skier. I followed him around and learned by watching the subtleties of recreational skiing on ungroomed. Until then I was basically a piste and powder skier. I returned to racing when I moved west in 2000 and have been racing since. My heart is off piste now, though. Which isn't to say I don't love a good groomer with a sweet turning ski. My quiver contains race skis, frontside favorites like the MX 88 and E83, a large variety of skis in the 80s and 90s as well as a veritable fleet of powder skis.

I love to feel the g-forces of carved turn as well as the softness and challenge of off-piste. As racing is still a big part of my skiing, I really appreciate the wide range of capabilities of modern front side skis. It is all about turning them left and right and experiencing the dance with the mountain. I like to lay my skis over for carved, slarved and brushed turns. I like big turns, I like little turns and tend to really mix it up on the groomer, imagining a course where there is none so that my runs are mixed bag of turn shapes, fall lines and terrain.

OK, since this thread is all about Doug, I will chime in and say I had the pleasure of skiing with Doug for a mourning in Breck when I took my family there this past March for a ski vacation. Doug was gracious to offer to show us around "his" mountain and it was much appreciated. Doug is a very good skier and skis with a lot of precision and "race" skill. He is very comfortable and skilled on skis. We skied the upper peaks and bowls of Breck and a decent amount of the trees a little lower down. If you like to carve your skis, you will like any ski that Doug enjoys as well.

I have to have a little fun now and tease Doug. Since I am 6'4" I thought Doug was a somewhat short when I met him. But now that I learn he is 5'11", I realize my perspective is the one that's off. Here are some pic's of my family and then Doug and my son at the top of Imperial bowl, Peak 8. My son is 5'10", for what is worth.

IMG_20180312_124327717.jpg
IMG_20180313_102952381.jpg

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Do you like the Mx84? I loved the 83 but the demo day with the 84 had a terrible tune and I hated it.
I had 2 pair of the MX83 and I was on the MX84 this season. Maybe it was that mt 83”s were dead (100 days on them); or that my technique has improved, but it’s pretty amazing the performance I can get out of this ski. It’s my daily driver on and off piste.

gardenmary

Late-in-life ski bum
Skier
Völkl Deacon 76
Dimensions: 122-76-103
Radius: 18.3m@176cm
Sizes: 171, 176, 181
Size tested: 176
Design: All New

The Völkl Deacon 76 is a fun ski for those who like to charge on the slopes. It has an easy-to-find sweet spot, but does require more input than skis like the Rossi Hero Elite MT Ti. Grip is good, and the ride is exciting.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who like a performance ski with plenty of snap.
  • Who is it not for? Anyone who won't take charge.
  • Insider tip: The ski requires input; you need to stay centered.

I love Volkl skis and since I am a deacon IRL I pretty much need to get these skis. Though I prefer a 163 length - so it looks like I would need the Deacon 74 for that. @Trish any take on the 74 for women who love to carve?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug or @Doug Briggs -- Do you know the difference between the Liberty VMT line and their women's V line?

I love my Liberty powder skis and am (still) looking for a hard snow, front-side carver. The VMT 76 looks great, but it doesn't come in small sizes for the likes of me. (I'm barely bigger than @SkiNurse)

I'd prefer the narrower 76, but would consider the V80w if it's in the same category as the VMT.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug or @Doug Briggs -- Do you know the difference between the Liberty VMT line and their women's V line?

I love my Liberty powder skis and am (still) looking for a hard snow, front-side carver. The VMT 76 looks great, but it doesn't come in small sizes for the likes of me. (I'm barely bigger than @SkiNurse)

I'd prefer the narrower 76, but would consider the V80w if it's in the same category as the VMT.
The VMT and V are different animals. Can you wait until say 1/1? :popcorn:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I love Volkl skis and since I am a deacon IRL I pretty much need to get these skis. Though I prefer a 163 length - so it looks like I would need the Deacon 74 for that. @Trish any take on the 74 for women who love to carve?
Sorry I missed this.
I really enjoyed the Volkl Flair UVO SC, as well as a few other skis in the top end or the Volkl line up.
This year the ski in that category that blew my mind was the K2 LuvMachine 72 Ti.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The VMT and V are different animals. Can you wait until say 1/1? :popcorn:
@Jerez , the VMT is more all mountain. The V line is more off piste, fun to play around but not as stable at speed.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Liberty skis says they are going to introduce a women's 76 carver around Christmas time. Did ya hear that Santa!?! :golfclap:
I will not admit nor deny that I heard of this news and am eagerly anticipating the arrival of such ski. :popcorn:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia Am pretty much ready to go with the Liberty when they come out with the narrow model, but your review of the DPS Trainer has me thinking.

I am an advanced, somewhat technically competent, small person, looking for a hard-snow ski that is still fun in the moguls but tenacious in icy conditions. Would you recommend I wait to demo these skis (if that's even possible)? Or, what would be your recommendation, one of these or something else?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia Am pretty much ready to go with the Liberty when they come out with the narrow model, but your review of the DPS Trainer has me thinking.

I am an advanced, somewhat technically competent, small person, looking for a hard-snow ski that is still fun in the moguls but tenacious in icy conditions. Would you recommend I wait to demo these skis (if that's even possible)? Or, what would be your recommendation, one of these or something else?
Hmmmm, both the Liberty and the DPS are phenomenal in that department, keeping in mind that I haven't been on the new Liberty yet, but have experience on theVMT 76 and 82 this year.
The DPS will be lighter, because its the alchemist construction.
If I had to pick between these two, it'd be tough.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

I didn't ski a DPS so I can't compare the two (VMT and DPS). The VMT was rock solid on hardpack, which we hade in spades during SIA. Of the skis I skied that I'd consider for a front side carver for myself, the VMT was a contender as were the Stöckli Laser AX and SX. I have a special place in my heart for Stöckli but the VMT gave them a run for the money. Basically a 3 way tie for fun and performance. Sorry, that didn't help much, I know.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, very helpful. The Laser AX was the third on my wish list to compare. Problem is, hard as heck to find any of these skis to demo. Sounds like any would be fine and since I already like the Liberty powder ski, unless PSIA makes a smokin' deal on one of the others, I'll likely just go with that.
THANK you both @Tricia and @dougBriggs

Sponsor

Staff online