• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Does anyone keep/share their GPS Tracks of their Skiing?

James_T

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi,

On my bigger trips (and sometimes smaller) I record my runs with whatever app or GPS device I have with me. When I get home a can import into Google Earth and view in 3D, etc.

I'm wondering if people share their tracks much. I would be interested in some tracks of Sun Peaks, esp. the Gil's area. I would load it into my GPS device so I could find the exact places that people found amazing!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

James

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I would request that folks do not share this on Facebook indescriminately. Learn to set up lists of interested parties and share with them. Because ultimately I turn you off entirely. I have a skiers list. The rest of my friends are not subjected to skiing. And you can ask to get taken off the list.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I used to on the first winter or three that I had my GPS (purchased for using charts on canoe trips, after getting tired of every island with green trees looking identical to every other island in the St. Lawrence River 1000 Islands National park), but the novelty soon wore off.
It was fun for a while seeing my track in Google Earth, and plotting colour-coded lines for slope angle and speed.

TS
J

James_T

Skier
I used to on the first winter or three that I had my GPS (purchased for using charts on canoe trips, after getting tired of every island with green trees looking identical to every other island in the St. Lawrence River 1000 Islands National park), but the novelty soon wore off.
It was fun for a while seeing my track in Google Earth, and plotting colour-coded lines for slope angle and speed.

I agree with the novelty part, but it would be cool to mark spots that you find that are amazing, and be able to find that exact spot again, or share with others. I have found sites that share GPS tracks, but seems more for hiking and some biking...

TS
J

James_T

Skier
I would request that folks do not share this on Facebook indescriminately. Learn to set up lists of interested parties and share with them. Because ultimately I turn you off entirely. I have a skiers list. The rest of my friends are not subjected to skiing. And you can ask to get taken off the list.

Ok. Anyone interested?

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
I'm wondering if people share their tracks much. I would be interested in some tracks of Sun Peaks, esp. the Gil's area. I would load it into my GPS device so I could find the exact places that people found amazing!

I imagine that you won't find too much support for this idea among locals, as locals everywhere tend to like to keep their stashes private. But sites like Fatmap are taking the mystery out of it. There's nothing yet for Sun Peaks, but Fatmap is great for Stowe, for example.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You do whether you want to or not, via photo (depending on your settings), your cell phone if its on and so on. So the question becomes, are you going to share it willing or share it unwillingly? :geek:

TS
J

James_T

Skier
I imagine that you won't find too much support for this idea among locals, as locals everywhere tend to like to keep their stashes private. But sites like Fatmap are taking the mystery out of it. There's nothing yet for Sun Peaks, but Fatmap is great for Stowe, for example.

Yes...I get the "keeping it private" part. I wouldn't want to so much broadcast it either...more wondering if anyone wanted to share between a few people, I guess...

Thanks!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I use my Garmin watch everyday. I don’t share it with anyone. I use it more to just roughly keep an eye on my vertical feet skied, but really like seeing max speed when Im cranking turns.

-Chris

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Me too. I saved and plotted them for a few years, examining speeds and slope angles, then lost interest.
But I find that I actually care more about them years later. I organize ski trip photos separately from other photos, and some of the older ones have a GPS-track map snapshot saved with the photos. They are worth saving as a reminder of a ski day.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree with the novelty part, but it would be cool to mark spots that you find that are amazing, and be able to find that exact spot again, or share with others. I have found sites that share GPS tracks, but seems more for hiking and some biking...

I don’t find it all that difficult to simply remember where the good spots are in ski areas that I’ve visited more than once. And if I feel the need to make notes, then I can just scribble on a trail map.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I keep all of mine in Ski Tracks... I like having it to refer back to occassionally, when trying to remember a run, or going back to a resort I was at before. As far as sharing, I wouldn't really care one way or the other. Anything I found noteworthy is probably in my trips reports on here (or the one's I saved from EpicSki) anyway.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On one trip all the people in my condo enabled Google Maps location sharing with each other. It helped us find each other (vs the usual 'meet you at lift A', 'where were you?', 'I got tired of waiting and took a run' shuffle), but the typical limited cell reception on ski mountains made it less than perfect. A few months later I realized I was still sharing my location with them! Glad I didn't go anywhere embarrassing.

Sponsor

Staff online