• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DIN setting versus DIN max on binding

SkierGolferNH

Putting on skis
Instructor
I ski with a DIN of 7, can I use a binding with a max DIN of 10? Is that enough cushion?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You don't need 'cushion'. You just need a binding that can be set and calibrated to your required release setting. It is a fallacy that you need to be in the middle of the range of your bindings settings. Bindings work pretty much the same at any setting for which they are designed.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome to the site. We have talked a lot about bindings, settings and what "range" is acceptable. When you are considering a binding, you are not just thinking about spring but the housing. A binding that will have a 3-10 range tends to be designed for juniors and light weight skiers, most adults can overpower it and compromise it's functions. As a golfer, think about swinging a junior or womens shaft, it will flex all over.

Take a look here at some indepth binding discussion.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
If you are at a lower setting on a high DIN binding , the binding has more ability to recenter in a near release according to Phil.
I like my Excel 16 clamps set at DIN 7 but the real reason I chose them is the Excel 16 is a much better built piece than the Excel 12.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a light freak and bindings are heavy. Really heavy for high din bindings. So I use plastic low din bindings to keep the weight down. @Philpug gives me a hard time about my Fisher-Price bindings.

Modern bindings seem much better than older bindings. I rarely release with a setting of 7 on a max 10 binding as there is lots of recentering to keep the ski attached in chatter. There's a lot of design that is independent from how strong a spring is.

Higher din bindings running at light settings should last longer - but I buy new bindings for most of my new skis (and hopefully I'm mostly skiing and liking my new skis).

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online