• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Demo Team

eyemgh

Booting up
Skier
Is the Demo Team only PSIA? Is there a USSA equivalent? Do they compete like the Japanese and Koreans do? Just curious as a lot of Japanese tech skiing has been hitting my ‘Tube feed these days.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think any of them could choose to do tech skiing competitions, but as a team, no they do not. They are really focused on education more than anything else.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think any of them could choose to do tech skiing competitions, but as a team, no they do not. They are really focused on education more than anything else.
Have you watched the tech comps and the vids from psia tryouts?

I've worked with a lot of the demo team and skied with Japan tech skiers, the tech comps are a completely different level.

TS
E

eyemgh

Booting up
Skier
Maybe I made an incorrect assumption, that the demo team competes in Japan style tech competitions.

First, if that’s wrong, what does the demo team do?

Second, are its members restricted to PSIA instructors, or can USSA instructors be involved. After all, both methodologies teach the technical aspects of skiing.

Third, is there even a USA equivalent to technical competitions in Japan and Korea?

Lastly, is the US represented at Interski? Is it a graded competition or just a demonstration?

Phew! So many questions! I was just never aware that this niche aspect of the sport existed. Thanks for edifying a clueless noob! ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe you should go to the next one.
They even have telemarkers and snowboarders.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe I made an incorrect assumption, that the demo team competes in Japan style tech competitions.

Second, are its members restricted to PSIA instructors, or can USSA instructors be involved. After all, both methodologies teach the technical aspects of skiing.

Third, is there even a USA equivalent to technical competitions in Japan and Korea?

Lastly, is the US represented at Interski? Is it a graded competition or just a demonstration?

Phew! So many questions! I was just never aware that this niche aspect of the sport existed. Thanks for edifying a clueless noob! ;)
Asian tech champs are more of a professional sport, yes most of them also instructors, but they train like athletes, have coaches, techs, sponsors etc. There's not an equivalent in the US (Or Europe). It's probably the most popular form of skiing in Japan, they don't pay much attention to racing.

Interski is more of a congress of ideas, one year there was a GS race, but in general it's focused on teaching rather than competing. Most countries with ski associations attend, except France because they are too cool.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

They do not.

They educate and share information with the national membership via on hill events, presentations, etc...

Several have membership/affiliation with and in both. Ron Kipp, LeMaster(RIP), are involved in both.

No.

Yes. It's a demonstration and sort of instructional industry international conference.

The folks who are selected for the demo team are fine coaches, and I've yet to ski with one that doesn't ski pretty lights out. As a ski culture, both the US and Canada value versatility over 'forms' driven skiing.... more MMA, less martial arts 'kata'. It's a reflection of the idea of 'anywhere, anytime, any condition' that most people striving to be well rounded experts are generally trying to achieve in the N.A. ski world.

This isn't meant to diminish national systems that are tech comp driven... it's really just another way to get to a similar outcome, but arguably with a more 'controlled environment ' focus.

Years ago, I was well acquainted and taught telemark camps with a gentleman who was a member of Japan's national alpine demo team. Great guy, great skier both alpine and teley, and was a bit unique in that he had several backcountry and ski touring articles published in their local media-verse. The guy could ski, and the tech comp thing was only part of his ski experience.

Another fun one, an old friend who was on the German development team (Europa Cup with some WC starts, pro race tour) went to Japan to do their pro race tour. He ended up making several free ski films with some of the Japanese publications that were pretty popular. I just dug up one of his films:

These kind of films were/are still big there. We're more into Warren Miller, MSP, etc.... I know for sure there's way more support ($$$) for tech skiing than racing there, that's for sure.

Last edited:

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
The folks who are selected for the demo team are fine coaches, and I've yet to ski with one that doesn't ski pretty lights out. As a ski culture, both the US and Canada value versatility over 'forms' driven skiing.... more MMA, less martial arts 'kata'. It's a reflection of the idea of 'anywhere, anytime, any condition' that most people striving to be well rounded experts are generally trying to achieve in the N.A. ski world.
Can you describe the last part? Do other countries' culture value form over versatility?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Can you describe the last part? Do other countries' culture value form over versatility?

The tech comp scoring is subjective like figure skating. The average rec skier in Japan doesn't spend much time off piste, nor is it a goal for the majority. Again, think more 'controlled environment '.

(And yes, there are fine off piste skiers in Japan... it's just a different and smaller audience there.)

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
The criteria for judging those comps is pretty vague even if you understand Japanese, but if you watch the videos it's abundantly clear how skilled the skiers are at short turns, long turns and moguls. They are not judged on other disciplines, but it seems a bit unfair to call them not versatile just because you haven't seen them outside those environments.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The criteria for judging those comps is pretty vague even if you understand Japanese, but if you watch the videos it's abundantly clear how skilled the skiers are at short turns, long turns and moguls. They are not judged on other disciplines, but it seems a bit unfair to call them not versatile just because you haven't seen them outside those environments.

No doubt, these guys and gals are great, versatile, skiers... they're performing within the criteria of the comps. There's much more to the skiers than that. Hopefully my thoughts weren't interpreted as painting them somehow as 'lesser'.

Sponsor

Staff online