• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Custom made ski pants

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
I've given up trying to find 36 X 36 ski pants. I did find a company called Burgess Custom that makes custom sizes. Awaiting the quote. I saw where they had a following in the Jackson Hole area.

Anyone have experience with this outfit or any suggestions on any other companies that do the same thing? Thx!

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am on my second pair of custom Cioch Direct pants. I wore out the first pair (in northern MN, working outside a lot I wear them almost daily all winter, first pair I had ordered superlight fabric).
very good service, they did just what I asked, including several options that were not stock, like triple lining the seat(always get cold there).

They pants and ‘salopettes’ (bibs):

But mine mine are ‘semi bib’, basically a very high rise pant, like 1950 suit pants. So, they can do whatever height waist style you want.

Note that, since they are shipping ,outside of the U.K., you won’t have to pay the 20% VAT Included in the listed price, so substract about -15% off the listed price, then convert to USD.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
I’ve had Sara from Burgess Custom make my custom bib pants. Couldn’t find what I wanted in stores: (I get hot in my core so wanted lower in front...but high in back to keep snow out) got her to make what I wanted exactly to my specs. We worked out everything over phone and via email. Totally bespoke...built to my measurements with pockets, zippers and vents exactly where I wanted them. Inner pocket leashes/key clips/beacon or accessory webbing loops/tabs firmly sewn inside pockets, extra side cargo pockets where I wanted them, heavy duty cordura on lower leg cuffs etc. Full choice of materials.

She does great work. Very happy with mine.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Nice. Thx for the feedback. Burgess would probably be my first choice since they are a bit closer. Still awaiting a quote from them. In the mean time guess I need to figure out exactly what I want and where I want it.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Got the rough quote from Sara. Just a couple of small details to work out. Figured I'd run it by the community and seek feedback on a couple of items:
Rear pocket: It's optional and at first thought I would want one for my wallet but then thought, what's the chances I'll need my wallet on the slopes? Maybe more for after ski activities?
Dual snaps on waistband: Optional again but seems like it would help keep waistband straighter and provide a bit redundancy. Nothing like loosing you pants on an icy mogul run.
Cargo pockets on outside of thigh just above knees: Comes with standard config but not sure what I would use them for. Trail map, snacks??

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I never use my rear pockets for anything.

I rather have a metal button than snaps. Never pops open.

I use my cargo pocket for a pack of tissues and eye drops that I need constantly. Also good for a phone if taking a lot of photos on a run.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Thx for the feedback.

Think I'll go with a rear pocket but probably won't use it much.

A couple of metal buttons does sound a better than snaps.

I normally keep my phone in the inner pocket my insulated jacket, but I could see using the cargo pocket if you're taking it out frequently.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The cell phone battery doesn't like to get cold. The charge is shortened. Keep it warm.

Look for cell phone tethers. About the day at Whistler when I saw a guy sliding head first down a slope frantically trying to reach his phone that was sliding down the hill faster than he was....

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Yeah, don't think any batteries like the cold. That's why I keep my phone inside my jacket in a zipped pocket. I've seen where folks will attach a hand warmer to their cell with rubber bands to keep the batt happy if they are using it to video a run.

A tether/leash is probably a good idea too, especially if you take it out on the chair.
I was wondering what poolskier was talking abt when he mentioned accessory webbing loops/tabs firmly sewn inside pockets. Makes perfect sense now.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I like buttons better than snaps. Make sure there are enough belt loops to keep the waist from sagging down. I use the cargo pocket for my phone when I'm not skiing. I keep it in my coat while skiing. I've never used the butt pockets as my wallet, such as it is, goes in my front pocket. I do like a tether for my keys.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
The custom pants have some type of adjustment for the waistband accessed from inside. It's not really clear exactly how it works, just hope it's reliable. I really don't want to wear a belt, but there are loops in case I need one. I count 5 loops and the rear one appears extra heavy duty. The wallet pocket won't be used while skiing. Here's a low res example pic I received.

Attachments

• Burgess.jpg
    Burgess.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 73

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like a thigh pocket. Better to have and not need need, than need and not have.
When it warms up and I start taking off gloves, hats or neck gaiters, they need somewhere to go. Also have goggle lenses, sunglasses, trail map, camera, snacks, phone, 2 way radio, Kleenex In pockets.
You may not want to put some of those in a thigh pocket, but having the thigh pocket frees up a jacket pocket for something like a phone and camera.

These day, with RFID passes, it‘s even more important to have enough pockets, and have them spread out, since you can't have electronics next to the pass.

Last edited:

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Out of curiosity how do their prices compare to the off the shelf options from companies like Arcteryx, Patagonia, Stio, and others?

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The custom pants have some type of adjustment for the waistband accessed from inside. It's not really clear exactly how it works, just hope it's reliable. I really don't want to wear a belt, but there are loops in case I need one. I count 5 loops and the rear one appears extra heavy duty. The wallet pocket won't be used while skiing. Here's a low res example pic I received.

Are those zippers on the inner side of each cuff?

I don't think I've ever seen that. Given the potential for ski edge contact to that part of the pant leg, it seems like those zippers would be susceptible to damage there.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Out of curiosity how do their prices compare to the off the shelf options from companies like Arcteryx, Patagonia, Stio, and others?
~ $400 depending on materials and options.

Are those zippers on the inner side of each cuff?

I don't think I've ever seen that. Given the potential for ski edge contact to that part of the pant leg, it seems like those zippers would be susceptible to damage there.

I was curious abt that too but wasn't sure how susceptible to damage they would be. I will see if she can move the zippers to the outside.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Looks like I got an old pic that that showed zippers on inside of lower legs.
With the present offering, there is no zipper on bottom of legs which is fine with me. 1 less thing to go wrong.

Attachments

• current.jpg
    current.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 51

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Some things to think about:
Zippers: mine are all waterproof...really like them.
Back pocket: I didn’t get one as I didn’t want to sit on anything..
Hand/side pockets: As I mentioned previously you might want to consider getting some leashes and/or webbing loops/tabs sewn in.
Leg/thigh cargo pockets. I got my 2 done internally so as to not detract from my design. I wanted the functionality/storage capability of the pockets (for cable lock/ski lock/phone/granola bars/wallet etc) without the cargo pocket look. (All you see on mine on outside is the zipper.)
Pocket openings: Make sure zipper openings will easily fit your handsize.... mine just barely fit.... and are deep enough to easily accommodate the things you want in there.
Drying/hang loop: I had her sew a loop onto inside of the waistband. (the center of the inside of the waistband.) Great for threading a hanger or hook thru it to dry your pants.
Waist band closure: I wouldn’t do snaps as they’ll pop open when bending over etc. I’d go with a double metal hook closure... or buttons but the button holes really need to be sewn and reinforced as they’ll wear and eventually fray. (I had this happen and so I had double hooks retrofitted after)
Waistband/side strech: Id ask her to add an stretchy/elastic panel/panels in waistband or sides. I had that retrofitted after getting them home. With the number of times your bending over buckling/ubuckling/flexing it really makes things waaay more comfortable (I’m pretty fit but would still get them put in if I was getting another set of new custom pants)
Cuff: Depending on how much you knock your skis together/hit your bottom cuffs... I’d make sure the reinforced cuff area was big enough/wraparound...and double thick/extra heavy duty.
Suspenders: mine are semi-bibs so I had her make some completely removable (via velco) suspenders-which i really like.

Cheers!

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I like having the suspender option also. I hang a multi tool on my belt and also use suspenders. I sewed my own buttons inside the waistband and use an old pair of tuxedo suspenders that I had floating around in the closet. the reason I like suspenders is that I can keep the waist a little looser for comfort and the pants won't then fall to my knees.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I like having the suspender option also. I hang a multi tool on my belt and also use suspenders. I sewed my own buttons inside the waistband and use an old pair of tuxedo suspenders that I had floating around in the closet. the reason I like suspenders is that I can keep the waist a little looser for comfort and the pants won't then fall to my knees.

I use a cummerbund on powder days instead of a powder skirt.

Sponsor

Staff online