• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cure for leaking and cold 2016/17 Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 boots

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Have had the Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 boots for a year and a half and think they are great. Had them heat fitted and were fantastic right from the first day. The only issue is they have always had a slight leak on one boot and found them cold with a noticeable draft on windy days. Noticed on the 2017/18 Atomic Hawx Ultra boots they added a much more substantial weather seal/strip under the flap on the bottom 2 buckles and my GF's Atomic Hawk Ultra 80W boots have this improved seal and don't leak.

Bugged Atomic and my local dealer for this weather strip last winter to no avail although they did sent a buckle mod to increase pressure on the bottom 2 buckles. Found this made a very little differences but found putting in house door weather strip cured the issue but the glue and foam lasted only 2 days and then made a glue residue mess. lol

This year I again bugged my retailer for the weather strip and this time Atomic sent some to me within a few days. The weather strip is much more substantial and longer in length than the original, useless flat strip. Today I super glued the new strips on top of the old and is a MUCH better seal and this should finally solve the leaking issues of these boots as well as being warmer.

So if you have the Atomic Hawx Ultra boots from the first year, contact your local dealer to get a replacement strip and while you're at it check the tightness of the side cuff adjustment and back spine bolts as they loosen over time.

Old flat strip, New strip and installed.
g7vF6BFRRCSJYjt3dP+TGw.jpg
gUsOPTCMRlC03Rg+7Cthlw.jpg
d55v71H0T8+DXyAFkRn4Mw.jpg

KTN

Booting up
Skier
Cool, nice job...I'm looking into these as a one quiver solution

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Cool, nice job...I'm looking into these as a one quiver solution

You’d love them! Light, powerful boots that are very comfortable if they fit your foot. All the newer versions of this boot(2017/18 and the 2019 models) would already have this and more weather seals improvements from the factory in addition to a few mods to stiffen the boot a touch. Highly recommended!

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Nice one Greg, thanks! I've had a few weather issues with mine as well...the shells are ever so slightly distorted due to my Zipfits, just enough to allow a little draft/moisture. Will get those weather strips.

p.s. Fantastic boots BTW, just emailed John at One Stop Ski Shop in Steamboat last week to let him know they are the best fitting boots I've ever owned. The Zipfits are outstanding.

matthew s

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks so much for this website! I thought I was losing my mind after finding how much water was in my boots after a day out. My socks were dry, put enough water was in the shell that I had to pour it in a sink. Does anyone know if there is a way to get the buckle clips (that push down on the seal) or new weather seals? You mentioned you went through your dealer (mine isn't the best/most responsive) does anyone else know where you can get them? I've emailed Atomic directly but unless they are better than most other dealers my faith isn't strong that I will hear back. Looking at duct tape options for this weekend.
Again, thanks for all your help!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks so much for this website! I thought I was losing my mind after finding how much water was in my boots after a day out. My socks were dry, put enough water was in the shell that I had to pour it in a sink. Does anyone know if there is a way to get the buckle clips (that push down on the seal) or new weather seals? You mentioned you went through your dealer (mine isn't the best/most responsive) does anyone else know where you can get them? I've emailed Atomic directly but unless they are better than most other dealers my faith isn't strong that I will hear back. Looking at duct tape options for this weekend.
Again, thanks for all your help!

If I were in your (soggy) shoes, I'd take them to the dealer and literally show him how you pour water out of the shell. That's just unacceptable (and the newer versions don't seem to have this problem).

My old Fischer boots leaked a bit, but I never thought much of it. My new Raptors are bone dry, and warmer feet have been the result. At least that's where I'm laying the credit.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
My Raptors leak, just like my Langes did.
Duct tape fixed both....just like the racers!

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I've taken to leaving the bottom two buckles loose on my Tecnica Mach 1s. Don't need them tight for fitting purposes but they do tend to get snow wedged inside the boot that way. My solution was to get a pair of neoprene boot gloves that keep my feet much warmer and completely solved the water issue. It's supposed to be -20 on the summit here at WMR tomorrow morning, the last thing I need is wet feet.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My solution was to get a pair of neoprene boot gloves that keep my feet much warmer and completely solved the water issue. It's supposed to be -20 on the summit here at WMR tomorrow morning, the last thing I need is wet feet.

I bought a pair of the neoprene boot gloves on a whim. I cannot believe how well they work.

Sponsor

Staff online