• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I'm so sorry for the CB locals. I woke up still super sad about this. I only ski there a couple days a year. I can't imagine how bad the mood is in the town.

I get CB is a business that needs to draw more skiers. When I first skied there you had to hike to the North Face terrain. I think that was over 30 years ago. I love the North Face and High lifts so I'm no total purist.

It's hard to overstate that the steeps CB is famous for are only served by two T-bars. Those already get crowded on good days, mostly by locals and a front range powder chasers like me. The visiting Texans and Oklahomans stick the Beaver Creek like groomers as @nay described.

CB is perfect for last minute powder chasing trips from Denver. 3.5 hour drive the night before. A cheap hotel in Gunnison is always available, and you're in the powder chase with the locals the next morning. Epic Pass holders are going to quickly figure that out and the lines at the T bars will be insane.

There are many who have moved to Crested Butte and/or bought homes there for what it was. I almost did. I wish I had because those days are gone.

Note the "long-term alliance" language in the press release.

I’m going to buy a cheap hotel in Gunnison. And yes, that’s exactly how you do it.

My wife has been lamenting about how far our son is going to be from home, and my response:

“It’s hardly longer than a day trip we do now and hotels are cheap in Gunnison.”

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Haven't they used that language for every new partner, including Telluride and RCR? How long do you think these places are actually locked into the Epic Pass?

5 years min. Probably longer like A-Basin.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Haven't they used that language for every new partner, including Telluride and RCR? How long do you think these places are actually locked into the Epic Pass?

I think it varies. I think the deals vary.

Here's how I look at this. Vail, until Telluride, has been very vocal about owning and controlling the assets, and NOT doing these types of pass partnerships as a preferred thing. Necessary, probably. Preferred, no.

Consider that you have Triple Peaks, which operates three VERY different area/resorts. I think the Muellers have a pretty strong reputation as operators. I have NO IDEA what their leases on CB and Okemo look like. If they are anything like CNL agreed to with Boyne {and I suspect they are} they are of real value. Och-Ziff, the hedge fund owns the hard assets, having bought the CNL portfolio as the clock ticked down on their need to liquidate, and insistence that they sell the entire deal.

Since that deal, there has been a lot of speculation that O-Z bought it to then break it up and sell it off. The sum up the parts worth 25% or more than the whole. We've just seen them see the seven properties back to Boyne. So, I think it's fair to presume that they are ALL for sale, or in play.

Now, a "hook" in the process that's been discussed a bit, since O-Z first made this move {it's HIGHLY unusual investment for a $50Billiom hedge fund}, is that the Ziff brothers and Och all are Aspen home owners {I think one of the Ziff brothers owns something like three homes}, and "legit" life long skiers. One speculation is that they make this move to make some money for their investors, but to also end up with the one property they wanted to own in the end.....Crested Butte.

If they end up with it, they could keep the Muellers as operators. They could buy out the lease, at who knows what cost. It would not be cheap. If O-Z sells it to anybody else, they need to honor the Muellers' lease or buy it out. Gets sticky.

So how does VR fit in? Does VR want to buy it? If that is the intimate game plan, they need to deal with the lease. If Och and the Ziffs buy it personally from O-Z, do the Muellers stay? Would Vail ever operate it? Doubt it. Would the Muellers buy it back?

Back East, they operate Sunapee, which is largely a day trip or weekend area in NH. Gets good traffic. 250K or so skier days. The "problem" is that it's owned by the state. it gets real sticky as local state reps debate why the state has outsourced the operation of this to "some group that is partners with a $50Billion hedge fund." It's increasingly not passing the sniff test. Peak has invest money into the place {which is always confusing as they do no own it.....}. Could well be that they are no longer there for long.

Okemo would seem to fit hand in glove with MTN. It's 750K skiers a year. Extensive and recent base development. Groomer's heaven. They draw for weekend home owners in the Metro NYC area up through CT, MA, and mid-state NY. I have never seen hard data, but based on the families that I know who own there, and spend most weekend there, the demographic is exceptionally attractive. These are no tight non-spending "Yankees." These people spend. I have to imagine that if Vail could ever buy it, owning both Okemo and Stowe in VT would be a really nice pairing. Just a hunch.

The Muellers have been at this for a long time, and know the business. They may also see the handwriting on the wall. Assuing that Sunapee will not last forever, I think they need to make some chess moves. Do they sell the Okemo and CB leases? Do they buy either? One theory I have heard is get out of CB and buy Jay Peak and Burke. Sell Burke to a group connected with BMA. Or do they sell the lease at Okemo.....to Vail who simultaneously buys the hard assets from O-Z?

Just saying.......I think there is a lot in play here. I keep hearing that two or three groups want to buy CB, and until a week ago, the name Vail was never among them. At all. I'm not convinced that the interest has waned on any of the others. I also feel that the soul and feel of CB changes significantly less with the others. I just don't see that with MTN. I'm not a "Vail sucks" guy, and militant. But I don't see a fit there, at all. I hope this is a co-marketing deal with the pass, and no more. And that maybe it will be short lived.

I have a daughter who lives in CO and works in the business. My son and his GF lived there until a year ago, and also work in the business. They love CB, as do my wife and I. I've skied there for 30+ years. I just don't see Vail Resorts bringing anything positive to the table. This is one that needs to retain it's own soul, community, skiing, everything.

They have had a brutal season, so that may have lead to entertaining pass deals. I'm trying to get a handle on how some of these deals are structured, detail wise.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
No 8 K filings:
http://investors.vailresorts.com/sec-filings

Hard to believe these deals are not entering into material agreements that need to be disclosed.

Feel free to dig into it. I'm not. My eyes will glaze over. I'll wait for somebody in the know to tell me. I don't think this is a big financial deal for MTN. More marketing sizzle than anything, other than if it does sell more passes.

It would be great to know, just for curiosity sakes, the details. Not a lot of money to be split up. I guess RFID would enable them doing it. Of course pass partnerships never existed for Epic until they followed the other guys.

I have no idea how the numbers work on Ikon, either. I think that Ikon is working with some if these partners for other reasons. Boyne for example. Some of the big name Iconic Western resorts.

Dunno......

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At least being on the Epic Pass is better than a neutron bomb going off in Crested Butte:

Former CBMR president and current Gunnison-Crested Butte Tourism Association executive director John Norton was also pleased with the partnership announcement. “The alternative is living in a ski town that feels like a neutron bomb went off,” he quipped. “This is a really good move.”
http://crestedbuttenews.com/2018/03/cbmr-strikes-deal-to-get-epic-pass/

Looks like a neutron bomb went off on CB's facebook page.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I also feel that the soul and feel of CB changes significantly less with the others. I just don't see that with MTN. I'm not a "Vail sucks" guy, and militant. But I don't see a fit there, at all. I hope this is a co-marketing deal with the pass, and no more. And that maybe it will be short lived.

I didn’t grow up with any of these resorts, so I don’t have the history of what things used to be. Unfortunately, I think it makes sense.

I don’t know if Alterra is still doing this, but on release the tag line was something like “We are the MTNs”, which was clearly trolling Vail and I bet generated a immediate cease and desist letter.

But it is still “26 Iconic Mountains”, and the idea is that IKON is the group of cool kids. Vail needs some of its own, and CB and Telluride fit the bill perfectly while consolidating the Colorado market. It’s the perfect anti-Aspen move.

CB OTOH cannot afford to lose a material number of customers to Alterra, but it competes with mountains like it (remote single destination resorts) that are on the IKON pass and so Epic is a better fit.

It’s nice to talk about retaining soul, but it’s about retaining customers. CB is a resort, not a ski area. There’s quite a bit of land in that cul-de-sac for real estate development.

How many people think of CB and this is what comes to mind? Looks a lot like some other places with really expensive second homes who have their own little ski on lift area that goes under the road to their house. How does that not look like what Vail does?

E271107D-42B8-4DE3-BD88-CACA29FFFBEF.jpeg

I have a daughter who lives in CO and works in the business. My son and his GF lived there until a year ago, and also work in the business. They love CB, as do my wife and I. I've skied there for 30+ years. I just don't see Vail Resorts bringing anything positive to the table. This is one that needs to retain it's own soul, community, skiing, everything.

There’s a difference when we talk about the town vs. the resort. The resort itself already doesn’t have the feel of its own soul or community. If CBMR was a dirt parking lot ski area, it would be one thing, but it isn’t. Rooms there are already $300-400 a night.

Epic is going to bring skiers who stay on resort and keep those rooms full. That’s a boon for CB who most likely has been losing business to Epic.

Hell, Aspen was losing business to Epic. That’s why they are here, too. It’s why they are all here. MTN didn’t start clearing hundreds of millions of dollars in free cashflow without taking skin from everybody else.

Do IKON’s ikonic mountains really want to be here on a cheap pass? What are they getting and why do they need it?

MTN was clearly ready for this and they have a ton of money to spend. Saving your own soul usually has a cost, and it’s rarely small or easy to accomplish.

Last edited:

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
How many people think of CB and this is what comes to mind? Looks a lot like some other places with really expensive second homes who have their own little ski on lift area that goes under the road to their house. How does that not look like what Vail does?

View attachment 41805

It's missing an interstate, and the narrow canyon that reflects the highway sounds quite well.
CB locals complaining about the "lost soul" and pending doom and gloom by going to Epic. Yeah, I can sympathize with them for a bit, and it's a bummer, but you know what? It's a total white upper class first world problem.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Vail and Alterra companies are just loving all the attention that this commodity is providing their multi-resort pass products. Word of mouth publicity inside of a targeted client base is priceless just what they want to support the marketing campaigns.

Not sure of the current arrangements are, and not asking either, but would be proper to provide a couple of passes to @Philpug and @Tricia and the Pugski tech team for the free marketing.

Should even think about kicking @wallyk a pass for pointing this out!!!!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It's missing an interstate, and the narrow canyon that reflects the highway sounds quite well.
CB locals complaining about the "lost soul" and pending doom and gloom by going to Epic. Yeah, I can sympathize with them for a bit, and it's a bummer, but you know what? It's a total white upper class first world problem.

Yes it is, and harder to access. But it doesn’t lack drunk a$$holes keeping you up all night by standing under your $350 room and taking as loud as possible. You might find yourself googling “Crested Butte curfew” in hopes it will end at some point.

And I’m going to say again, if you can ski under a road built to access some super rich person’s house with a lift to their neighborhood, then some of that soul was long ago sold.

F67EC3A6-E122-496A-93E5-2A59F1DACFA7.jpeg

The monkey is Wasabi acquired from Pooh’s Corner.

FFE15F48-CEEC-457C-AE71-82A9DEAE7879.jpeg

I recommend a don’t ask policy. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hell, Aspen was losing business to Epic. That’s why they are here, too. It’s why they are all here. MTN didn’t start clearing hundreds of millions and dollars in free cashflow without taking skin from everybody else.

This pretty much sums up the entire dynamic. Alterra, the principals of which are smart investors, noticed too and hopes to create its own free cash flow spigot. Sorry but the “spirit of the iconic mountains” pales into oblivion against that objective!

It's a total white upper class first world problem.

Well, those are the sorts of problems that preoccupy white, upper class, first world people, who have a hell of a lot more money than non-white, lower class, third world people!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
This pretty much sums up the entire dynamic. Alterra, the principals of which are smart investors, noticed too and hopes to create its own free cash flow spigot. Sorry but the “spirit of the iconic mountains” pales into oblivion against that objective

Right. It’s a bit like being Apple, who last year sold something like 12% of all smartphones but made 87% of all smartphone profits.

Iconic.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
A couple of selected comments from the Crested Butte Facebook page:

"Way to sell your soul to the devil, CBMR. So disappointed. Was hoping you would go with the IKON pass."

"This is an embarrassment. You could have joined the Ikon Pass or Mountain Collective, but instead you sell your soul to the devil."

Would partnering with Ikon or Mountain Collective really be selling out any less than partnering with Vail? If the main problem with having Crested Butte on a multi-resort pass is the increased skier visits, having CB on Ikon might not be that different than having CB on the Epic Pass. To be fair, there might be more CO skiers with the Epic Pass than the Ikon Pass (which brings up the question: will Alterra share the number of Ikon passes sold? They're private, so they're under no obligation to), but I would venture that the average CO skier with the Ikon Pass is more likely to visit CB than the average skier on the Epic Pass.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
A couple of selected comments from the Crested Butte Facebook page:

"Way to sell your soul to the devil, CBMR. So disappointed. Was hoping you would go with the IKON pass."

"This is an embarrassment. You could have joined the Ikon Pass or Mountain Collective, but instead you sell your soul to the devil."

Would partnering with Ikon or Mountain Collective really be selling out any less than partnering with Vail? If the main problem with having Crested Butte on a multi-resort pass is the increased skier visits, having CB on Ikon might not be that different than having CB on the Epic Pass. To be fair, there might be more CO skiers with the Epic Pass than the Ikon Pass (which brings up the question: will Alterra share the number of Ikon passes sold? They're private, so they're under no obligation to), but I would venture that the average CO skier with the Ikon Pass is more likely to visit CB than the average skier on the Epic Pass.

This is exactly the point. Ikon is somehow fine and Epic is the devil, when they are the exact same thing.

I’ll say it for a second time.

The Ikon Pass is ruining skiing. If it isn’t, then neither is Vail.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Epic and Ikon are not the exact same thing. There will be WAY more Epic Passes sold than Ikon passes. Especially now in Colorado with CB on Epic.

CB was on the Rocky Mountain Super Pass+ for years along with Steamboat, WP, Copper, and Eldora. That was the predecessor to Ikon. RMSP+ hordes didn't overrun CB because the numbers were much smaller than Epic. And it only included 3 days at CB. Epic Local has 7 days at CB next year.

The Vail resorts in Colorado are also far more crowded than the Ikon resorts. Epic hordes will look at CB as an easy way to escape the VR crowds and descend upon CB. That's why so many CB locals are posting on Facebook they would rather be on Ikon.

I can't claim Epic or Ikon are evil, since I've bought RMSP and/or Epic every year since the first. I'm not evil, I just want to get to the powder before you do. ogsmile

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Epic and Ikon are not the exact same thing. There will be WAY more Epic Passes sold than Ikon passes.

Alterra has made an awfully big bet that you are wrong. Both Epic and Ikon are huge passes that give you unlimited access at certain premiere mountains and limited access at others. Both have a full pass and a base pass. They are priced the same.

What is different right now is MTN has a lot more season pass market share than the pieces that make up Ikon. Unless MTN has better mountains, this should begin to change. That doesn’t mean Epic has to shrink - both Epic and now Ikon will continue to take overall market share.

MTN in CO for top skier days is Vail, Beaver Creek, Breck, and Keystone. Alterra is Winter Park, Copper, Steamboat, and Aspen Snowmass. All 8 of those rank top 20 in skier visits in North America.

Alterra exists for the sole purpose of being another MTN. It is a carbon copy business model with a carbon copy pass.

Epic is surely worse now, but Alterra is only in this game to change that. Empires are empires. There is no evil.

Sponsor

Staff online