• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

• Bear

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Mountain Lion (Cougar), Bobcat

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Rattle Snake

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Farm Animal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skunk

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Wolf

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Coyote

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Bugs (mosquitos, ticks, and other tiny nuisance)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a beautiful story about this ^ in a book called Animal Dialogs. Highly recommend it.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not super savvy about how these situations are usually handled, but I wonder if it would make sense to give the puma a mild tranquilizer to make this a little easier and cause less trauma for everyone involved including the cat.
According to the story within which the video you responded to was embedded, that's essentially what is done when possible.

"While many of the large cougars are able to pull out of the traps and can free themselves, sometimes help is required to safely release the animal. Ekins said they prefer to use animal tranquilizer darts when possible, but that tranquilizers have to be kept in a main DWR office and he can't always get some when he is called to remote areas."

This incident occurred somewhere in the Pine Valley Mountains north of St. George.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Winterpark had to close a lift for a bit because this fella was taking a nap near the lift maze

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, what about sea mammals (Galapagos), guess where I was....the neatest part was scuba diving with hammer head sharks the day before.

1708837056398.jpeg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I mostly like to avoid animals that want to eat me.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I usually carry (concealed) and am most concerned in urban crowded areas than in the woods hiking. I'd never take public transportation without being armed.
This is a very old post but the thread came up recently and I was scanning it out of interest. As a public service announcement, particularly as we get closer to tourist season, remember that concealed carry permits often do not apply across state lines. Every year, tourists come to NYC not understanding this limitation. It usually comes up at museums or other areas with security scanners. They are caught carrying, then get a nice tour of the NYC court system and a criminal record as a souvenir. And no weapons of any kind are permitted on public transportation. Yes that includes your pocket knife. If you feel so unsafe that you need to carry, stay home or take a cab. Not interested in any debate, just a notice since dozens of people are arrested and convicted under these circumstances every year, quite often with a felony conviction.

To answer the original question - bugs. Specifically mosquitos and ticks. Responsible for more deaths worldwide than any other creature.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
o answer the original question - bugs. Specifically mosquitos and ticks. Responsible for more deaths worldwide than any other creature.

So would you rather be in a room with a tick and mosquito or a bear and mountain lion?

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
I mostly like to avoid animals that want to eat me.
Same here. The two critters I hope never to encounter again are a polar bear and a saltwater croc. First encounters respectively were about 5 kilometers south of Churchill, Manitoba (Canada) approximately 30 to 40 meters inland from Hudson Bay and a few meters from the water's edge at Yellow Water Billabong, Kakadu National Park, Northern Territory, Australia.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
So would you rather be in a room with a tick and mosquito or a bear and mountain lion?
That wasn't the question. The question was what creature I'd most like to avoid on a trail. Since my chances of coming across a mountain lion or a bear are statistically very low (and the chances of being injured or killed by one are even lower), I'd rather avoid mosquitos and ticks. The chances of coming across them are much higher, and the death rates don't even come close to comparison (about 1 million mosquito deaths worldwide per year versus 27 mountain lion deaths in the past 100 years and about 3-5 bear deaths per year in North America). Given the statistics, I'll take my chances with the bears and mountain lions.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
and the death rates don't even come close to comparison
I wonder what the death rates per encounter are though? I mean, I can come across 100 mosquitos during a short hike. But if I come across 1 mountain lion, which is more likely to be harmful? Might be closer that the overall death rates would indicate...

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wonder what the death rates per encounter are though?
Certainly. I can’t step outside without being attacked by at least 1000 mosquitos and I’m still alive. If there is a mosquito within a 10 mile radius, it will somehow find me. I’ve also seen my fair share of bears without issue (black bears are generally very docile unless guarding a cub). But never a mountain lion. The probability of encountering a bear or cougar is relatively slim. But certainly more dangerous if it does occur.

I just really hate mosquitos and ticks.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If there is a mosquito within a 10 mile radius, it will somehow find me.
Ah... I'm lucky to not be one of those people... but get my fair share. I've only had one experience where a short morning hike left me with something like 15 mosquito bites on my lower legs. Never experienced that other times hiking that same trail ... something about that season/day I guess.

Sponsor