• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crappy video for MA

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Finally got a video, sort of. Wasn't planning to be filmed and was on a gentle blue trail, so technique is on the sloppy side. But since the videographer managed to catch 5 turns, might as well use it.

As usual, no hold backs, I've got thick e-skin. :duck:

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's good skiing. It really depends on what you are working on and where you want to take your skiing.
One thing that I would be working on is that you get the maximum pressure pretty late and sudden in the turn.
Sudden is ok, but then you want it earlier. Continue angulation earlier and throughout the turn and flex more through transition would probably help.
You are a bit heavy on the inside ski sometimes. Tip and lighten the inside foot more.
I'd try to use the wrist more than the arm when pole planting.

How stiff is your boot? What boot is it? Aligned?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
DIRT refinement...Just curious, but why pole plants with the right hand, but not the left? (This loops back into DIRT.)

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I like markojp DIRT reply. I would turn shape more, if you want too.

TS
jzmtl

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
That's good skiing. It really depends on what you are working on and where you want to take your skiing.
One thing that I would be working on is that you get the maximum pressure pretty late and sudden in the turn.
Sudden is ok, but then you want it earlier. Continue angulation earlier and throughout the turn and flex more through transition would probably help.
You are a bit heavy on the inside ski sometimes. Tip and lighten the inside foot more.
I'd try to use the wrist more than the arm when pole planting.

How stiff is your boot? What boot is it? Aligned?

Boots are Technica Bodacious 130, boot cuff canting screw adjusted but no alignment otherwise.

DIRT refinement...Just curious, but why pole plants with the right hand, but not the left? (This loops back into DIRT.)

What's DIRT? The arm/pole plant thing is mostly due to my technique getting sloppy on easy terrain, they are better when I'm on black (or expecting to be filmed).

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't see DIRT in the linked article, although searching finds it on a page near the middle.
Anyway, it stands for duration, intensity, rate, and timing -- the idea being that they modify universal fundamentals.

TS
jzmtl

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Got your feet apart since Christmas!! Pole plant by extending that arm further down the hill.

Are you coming back up to Tremblant soon? I can work a bit with you.

Yeah, inside leg is something I'm working on this season. I'm there Sunday usually, maybe on other days too, when are you coming?

I don't see DIRT in the linked article, although searching finds it on a page near the middle.
Anyway, it stands for duration, intensity, rate, and timing -- the idea being that they modify universal fundamentals.

Sounds right, I know I lack some fundamentals and they show when I'm not paying attention.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
'Paying attention' isn't really an issue. If you see a skier with really solid fundamentals, you won't see missing components in their movements/timing even if they're dialed back to low energy-easy mode. I'm confident we'd see many of the same patterns even in your 'A-game' skiing. You'd be great to coach as there are many good things happening in your skiing as well.ogsmile

(Fwiw, the Tecnica Bodacious boot is very very stiff.)

Last edited:
TS
jzmtl

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
'Paying attention' isn't really an issue. If you see a skier with really solid fundamentals, you won't see missing components in their movements/timing even if they're dialed back to low energy-easy mode. I'm confident we'd see many of the same patterns even in your 'A-game' skiing. You'd be great to coach as there are many good things happening in your skiing as well.ogsmile

Thanks, that's interesting, at least in my mind I can do better if I tried (although I won't be surprised if I'm wrong). Hopefully I can get a new video next week to see what's up.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DIRT refinement....
So... refine the skiing ;)

Agree with @Jamt

I see you being thrown up from the turn and then landing on an already long leg, with a thump! That is very little edge control, as you can only control your edge angles and snow interaction with the hips as opposed to the lower body (I.e. feet).

You are developing some ski bend there, so you have to soften your release by flexing the outside leg... or at least "use all your joints" - as a friendly higher level instructor may say.

You are in fact flexing the outside leg a bit just when the skis are flat - it looks like you are working on that, but just before you do start to flex, you get a quick power hit - it's more like you're forcing it with a late and extra angulation (that's actually a drill I used with racers that never felt a bent ski). Smooth that out - like jamt said - get the power earlier in the arc and don't force it - the "power" develops naturally as the skis turn across the direction of travel - be more worried with absorbing that and releasing it. If the flex does not absorb that power and allows you to release ski smoothly, it's kind'a pointless. Look how often you end up in the air even though you are flexing.

If you decide to work through that, initially you will have speed control issues (that move is part of how you control the speed today) but you will figure out how to get that control back and with less effort.

I would not worry about a wider stance, unless you want to slow down the engagement in the next turn even more than the late power hit and excessive up and down do already. Your boots are reasonably far apart already - your knees close are likely indicative of alignment issues... or at least that you need to pay more attention to the inside leg.

Having said all that.... good skiing though! I think I especially like the separation through the end of the arc. You ski at a level where I can afford to talk about the timing of things (the T in DIRT) the good news is that a lot of these things are present - that's I think what markojp was saying.

Cheers

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Exactly! Just pressed for time.

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
I would love to ski with you someday. You look like you're really enjoying the sensations. You have improved so much from your Epic days!

Like Jamt mentioned, the pressure arrives somewhere around the fall line, and you get heavy on the outside ski from that point on. For most of us recreational skiers, especially those of us who ski a lot of flatter hills, this sensation of lots of pressure on the ski is a lot of fun! The downside is it blocks our steering into the new arc, and causes us to accelerate too fast on steeper pitches. You see that your turns tend to start with an up-and-over shoulder-check, which moves you away from the skis. You actually see that you pop off the snow on one turn. This greatly reduces your ability to manage your change of direction, and without gripping at the top of the arc, you'll be stuck doing some braking down the hill when you get to steeper terrain.

What I would work with you on is getting earlier balance more toward the outside of the arc. Ideally you'll start to feel heavier at the top of the arc, and less heavy (than you do now) at the bottom of the arc. To start with, I'd suggest:
  • Get off the old edges earlier
  • Enter the turn a bit more two-footed
  • Build balance by progressively lightening the inside leg and hip
  • Use less active range of motion for that turn shape (e.g. only 4cm)
All this by going back to the green pitches to start with, then building up to the steeper terrain. If you feel light at the top, it's a cue that you're moving away from the outside ski (bad). If you feel the pressure happen throughout the turn from the top, you're progressively balancing against the outside ski (good).

The risk is in crushing early onto the outside ski, rather than letting balance build by relaxing the inside half. Crushing early will result in a park-and-ride turn.

For what it's worth, I've been working on this in my own skiing for the past two seasons. It's also one of the thing I noticed in a lot of the level 4 candidates at the exams this weekend. Those who were balanced to the outside at the top of the arc with progressive movement were pretty successful.

I take no credit for these ideas.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier

If you have to focus or pay attention, you don't own it. I tell the athletes to practice until they can't do it wrong. If you have to pay attention, that is like having to study to pass a quiz or can only pass multiple choice. If that is the case, you don't own it yet.

You ski well. You tend to drop your hands some. This might be contributing to you not getting the pole plant down the hill enough and your left pole swing not making it to the front. You can see the arm movement but it is from aft to center. You should always be able to see your hands in the bottom of your goggles. Keep your elbow in front of your body and your arms won't have to travel so far to get your pole swing down hill.

As noted, you need to make your turns more dynamic. You don't "park and ride" but most of your leg extension and flexion happens on each side of transition. It needs to carry all the way through the turn as well. It could be the video or my tired eyes, but it looks like from the start of the turn to the completion, there isn't that much movement; at least when compared to the transition. Your legs should be shortest at transition and longest at the apex and never in the same spot. It is constant movement.

Please keep in mind, these things are little little nits. The video shows good skiing.

TS
jzmtl

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
I would love to ski with you someday. You look like you're really enjoying the sensations. You have improved so much from your Epic days!

Thanks, two seasons at Tremblant did force me to change quite a few things in my skiing. Last year I was working on my fore/aft movement and this year it's managing inside leg and upper body alignment throughout the turn.

Are you coming to Tremblant this season? I'll probably change home mountain next season due to sublime pass losing three more weekends.

If you have to focus or pay attention, you don't own it. I tell the athletes to practice until they can't do it wrong. If you have to pay attention, that is like having to study to pass a quiz or can only pass multiple choice. If that is the case, you don't own it yet.

Definitely agree, I still struggle to get everything right and quite often forget a few elements here and there. As a weekender skier there's always so much to work on and so little time.

L&AirC

Skier
Definitely agree, I still struggle to get everything right and quite often forget a few elements here and there. As a weekender skier there's always so much to work on and so little time.

Ditto. The nice thing about being a weekend coach is I decide what the athletes need to work on. Somehow it magically ends up being what I need to work on :D

L&AirC

Skier
I'd sure like a lesson from L&AirC.

Sorry. I draw the line snow sharks.

439.jpg

Their why I have my arm in a sling
:armsling:

Sponsor

Staff online