• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cooler Comparison

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
We have an Orca and like it well enough. My son has medicine he needs to get nightly that has to be kept cold and we have taken it up to a week camping and its been ok, but it helps to add ice as it melts to keep the temps low. Its also key to prechill and not overstuff with food, which is some of our problem because the ice to food ratio is always too low. My friends have a double RTIC system where they keep a big one with a moderate amount of ice and their food and use the smaller oine to just fill with ice and top the other one with and that seems to work really well for a longer term solution.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
th

• The YETI TANK® is a highly portable party machine designed for advanced beverage distribution :roflmao:
To late to get in on the auction ? I like advanced beverage distribution
Silent auction is Saturday evening, starting bid it 200.00 (I think retail on this is 250.00) All proceeds go to the National Ski Hall of Fame.
I could place a bid for you if you want in on it. Text me :D
:popcorn:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil and I picked up a couple Yeti ice blocks for our road trip. Frankly, I've been amazed at how long they stay frozen and how much they freeze the stuff that gets next to them. So much so that I have had to be careful what I put near them in the cooler.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
you have one of these:

FIGY3WHFGWIQYYK.MEDIUM.jpg

Yes, the bike powers the blender. No, its not really mine. But I do know somebody who has one. And if you are willing to pedal like a maniac for 3 minutes, you can get Vitamix like results
I once say a chain saw that was taken apart for the motor and a blender was attached. Pull the starter rope and the most awful noise ever occurred.
Damned if it didn't stir perfect Margarita's.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
What is the purpose of a cooler? It's to keep the cold stuff cold, right?

A couple of months ago, my cousin's sports group were selling these insulated tumblers. The ad for the tumbler states that it will keep hot drinks hot for 6 hours, and cold drinks cold for 12 hours. I've seen these claims for other drink containers and I often puzzled why it would make a difference if the liquid is hot or cold? Wouldn't the heat transfer from the liquid to the air (or vice versa) be the same regardless if the container is resisting heat flow in or out of the container?

So I decided to do some analysis:

First I had to define a few things:

Hot drink = boiling water = 100C
Cold day (when you would want a hot drink) = 0C

Cold drink = 0C
Hot day (when you would want a cold drink) =30C

Room temperature ~= 23C

Definition of when a hot drink is no longer hot? 23C
Definition of when a cold drink is no longer cold? 23C

Then I made a spreadsheet using the heat transfer equation for the change in temperature of an insulated substance over time. I graphed this for both cases (Hot drink, cold day ; Cold drink, hot day)

Not surprisingly, the hot and cold drinks reached room temperature after the same time, about 5 hrs in my example.

So I thought a bit more and I added ice to the cold drink. Well when changing ice to liquid water it takes 80 calories per gram. While the ice is melting the temperature remains at 0C. So for a good amount of time, the drink remains cold while the ice is melting, once all the ice is melted, then the drink can warm up at 1C per gram per calorie added.

The graph shows this (green line) where the cold drink now reaches room temperature after 10 hours.

My conclusion is that there is no magic in the container. It will keep cold drinks cold for twice as long as keeping hot drinks hot, but only if there is a significant amount of ice.

thermos.jpg

cold-hot.jpg

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier

A couple of months ago, my cousin's sports group were selling these insulated tumblers. The ad for the tumbler states that it will keep hot drinks hot for 6 hours, and cold drinks cold for 12 hours. I've seen these claims for other drink containers and I often puzzled why it would make a difference if the liquid is hot or cold? Wouldn't the heat transfer from the liquid to the air (or vice versa) be the same regardless if the container is resisting heat flow in or out of the container?

Cold drink = 0C

Room temperature ~= 23C

Then I made a spreadsheet using the heat transfer equation for the change in temperature of an insulated substance over time. I graphed this for both cases (Hot drink, cold day ; Cold drink, hot day)

Not surprisingly, the hot and cold drinks reached room temperature after the same time, about 5 hrs in my example.

So I thought a bit more and I added ice to the cold drink. Well when changing ice to liquid water it takes 80 calories per gram. While the ice is melting the temperature remains at 0C. So for a good amount of time, the drink remains cold while the ice is melting, once all the ice is melted, then the drink can warm up at 1C per gram per calorie added.

The graph shows this (green line) where the cold drink now reaches room temperature after 10 hours.

My conclusion is that there is no magic in the container. It will keep cold drinks cold for twice as long as keeping hot drinks hot, but only if there is a significant amount of ice.

View attachment 80645

View attachment 80646
I think its awesome you made your own analysis, complete with spreadsheet!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The important part is to realize that hot drinks stay hot longer. i.e.: DON"T BURN YOU TONGUE after hour 2 or 3. :)

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Cold drink = 0C

Room temperature ~= 23C

View attachment 80645

View attachment 80646
You are either a) an engineer or b) someone with way too much time on their hands waiting for ski season to start . . . .

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The ad for the tumbler states that it will keep hot drinks hot for 6 hours, and cold drinks cold for 12 hours.
I want to know who takes that long to drink anything!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The biggest issue most folks have with coolers is A) ice goes in a warm cooler and B) the lid gets opened a lot during the day. A couple of frozen milk jugs put in the cooler for a day or so takes care of A. So does leaving the cooler on the deck at Jackson Hole. To solve B, I guess you have to grab more beer at each opening, thereby reducing the number of openings. And don't drain the water. It also acts as an insulator.

I had points on my Cabelas card and bought one of their 80 qt. coolers. The only thing I dislike are the big handles as they take up a lot of room. They do, however, make it easy to carry. When we go camping I just bring a hand truck to move it. Full, it weighs a lot. Sitting on my deck in cool weather and limited opening it held ice and drinks for over 10 days.

20200306_110724.jpg

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Cold drink = 0C

Room temperature ~= 23C

View attachment 80645

View attachment 80646

Remarkable. There is another question I have often pondered and I'm wondering if you would be willing to do the analysis?

What happens when you attach a piece of buttered toast to a cat's back and drop it from a height?

Sponsor