• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Considering new skis

UncleE

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’m thinking about some new skis and y’all always seem to have good ideas.

background info... I’m fit, 5’6” (~167cm) 160 lbs. Have a little less than 30 days on skis, I started on rented 140cm Volkls, got 153cm skis 3 days later (Super Joy), and skied them 20 days before I gave them to a friend. They really weren’t giving me the stability I wanted, so now I need new (and again longer) skis. Based on the EpicMix app I’m a solid level 6, middling level 7 skier (but still a relative novice with less than 30 days on skis, so I take all the advice I can get). I like bumps a lot but also like to do fast groomers. I also ski with my wife and 8 year old nieces (that is to say, moseying very slowly, but it’s just as much fun to ski with them). I’m probably 30% bumps, 50% charging down groomers 20% moseying.

I’ve skied a few things since I gave away the Super Joy... Kore 93, Kestle LX85, and my ski instructor’s Head iRally for a while (we had the same BSL and roughly the same DIN setting so we’d just swap in the lift line, that was fun).

I liked the Kestle a lot - very fast ski relative to anything else I had skied, but it seemed a little dead when trying to ski more slowly, and stiffer than I really wanted it to be in bumps.

The rally was fun for kind of moseying around, and also fast, but I didn’t love it when compared with the Kestle.

The Kore 93 may have been my favorite in bumps and was fine going slow, but didn’t really compare to the Kestle on groomers.

So, I’m looking for suggestions on what to demo next... I was thinking maybe Kendo 88 or maybe a K2 Mindbender 90ti but 168cm is probably pushing my comfort limits. Any other ideas?

Feel free to suggest ladies skis too if it makes sense for me (as it has in the past)... I don’t care a whit about whether someone thinks women or men should use them - they attach to feet.

I’m also considering whether getting two pairs of skis might serve my needs better, but I’d rather not schlep around two pair... if I go this route I’d probably want to try to use the same system binding on both pairs, so I can try to get three pairs of skis in one bag (wife’s skis too). I don’t know how feasible that is... thoughts?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If you go with two pairs of skis, get two sets of bindings, mostly because it's just easier, and maybe (depends on plate) so you won't wear out the threads in a plastic plate swapping bindings every other day.

If you want a groomer zoomer that is stable you will have to get an expert level ski. Head Rallie is good on softer groomed snow, Head Magnum for harder groomed snow. I like Fischer: SL, GS, SC, RC and Curve would be good choices. Every main manufacture makes good skis. Just look for width between 68 and 76, length around 165 for skis with a turn radius of around 13 m if you prefer tighter turns , around 180 for turn radius 18 m + if you you like longer turns, and of course in between for a compromise. Try to get as close to full camber as possible for a groomed run ski (less rocker or early rise). Some folk won't advise a beginner to get expert level skis, but I say you'll be fine, so long as you remember to keep pulling your feet back to stay out of the back seat and learn to tip and rip. Beginner skis do not handle speed well.

For your other skis if you go with two pair, you want the opposite: 96 mm or more wide, rockered tips and tails 2nd longest length they come in.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You talk about Kastle, Head, K2, etc. First the Kastle will give more of what you are looking for at a higher price tag. In an average price range the Head Rally will fit your needs. I can tell you it is so much fun to ski and I ski mine on the east coast ice and it holds extremely well. You say a woman's ski would be fine but at 160 LBS you would have to ski them in a longer length and you said 168 CM is a bit much. The Head Joy series are fine skis but at 160 LBS the longer the better. Good luck with your selection.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
If you can demo the following, it will open a couple more possibilities for firm snow/groomers and side stashes.

Atomic Vantage 83 CTI
Head vshape V10
Volkl RTM81 and Deacon 76

Add a second ski in the 105-112 range for actual powder days. Don't be afraid of a 170-177 range ski here, soft snow and tip rocker will make it easier to ski.

The Elan Ripstick 106 is a nice place to start at.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I’m looking for suggestions on what to demo next... I was thinking maybe Kendo 88 or maybe a K2 Mindbender 90ti but 168cm is probably pushing my comfort limits. Any other ideas?

From everything I've read, the Mindbender sounds like a great ski for you to try. Seems very user friendly, accessible, and happy to ski a variety of styles. The Kendo might be a higher horsepower ski than you're ready for now.

A lot of recommendations for carving skis above. On a hardpack day, they make me smile almost as much as a good powder day. But with only 30 days under your belt, it might not quite be time for a true carver yet.

Enjoy the quest!

TS
U

UncleE

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks folks, lots of good comments here, I'll definitely check some of these out.

Would y'all expect the new Kendo 88 is going to be too stiff/too much horsepower for someone at my sort of "advanced intermediate" level, or is that a reference to the old Kendo? A friend also suggested I try a Stockli too (Laser AX, or Stormrider), but this is a more advanced friend I'm guessing these would probably be better skis for him than for me haha!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Would y'all expect the new Kendo 88 is going to be too stiff/too much horsepower for someone at my sort of "advanced intermediate" level, or is that a reference to the old Kendo? A friend also suggested I try a Stockli too (Laser AX, or Stormrider), but this is a more advanced friend I'm guessing these would probably be better skis for him than for me haha!

yes on sketchy terrain/snow, and yes (good insight). If you pick just exactly the right length of any of these skis they will probably be completely skiable for you - their envelopes are that wide - but you're also paying premium for stuff you won't use anytime soon.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Thanks folks, lots of good comments here, I'll definitely check some of these out.

If you like bumps, need to smear to ski with kids, but also enjoy tipping and ripping, there is also another ski that would be a leap of faith since you can't demo it any longer. It's called a Blizzard Latigo and you can still find them on ebay in the 170cm range. They have a shape close to the Brahma but they are only 78MM underfoot. If I'm going to be hitting both groomers, side stashes of trees and bumps, it's my go to ski. I still see instructors with them, there is a reason for it. :)

They are a solid platform to grow with, and are much easier to get up on edge than the 88MM+ categories.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Would y'all expect the new Kendo 88 is going to be too stiff/too much horsepower for someone at my sort of "advanced intermediate" level, or is that a reference to the old Kendo?

That would be the outgoing kendo. The new one is excellent off piste, and favors a more 'middle' stance on piste as the tip shape doesn't hook up aggressively at all. For some, this is NOT good, but for many many skiers, this will be a very solid easy going ski that happens to rock off piste.

Sponsor

Staff online