• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Comparison: 15/16 Head SS iRally vs. 08/09 Nordica Jet Fuel

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
FebTripPC2016.png

Full disclosure: rapidly approaching the end of my 6th decade on this rock, skiing for ~35 seasons but coming from San Diego and having to work for a living I think I've had 4 seasons with over 30 days in them, usually get 20-25 days a season. I prefer groomers (think LeMans over Baja 1000). Really not into bumps, I'd rather save my knees for more seasons and lots of cycling in the off. And, as with sports cars, I'd rather ski a slow run fast than ski a fast run slow. So, with that in mind...

Here are some notes I took on my trip to Utah last week, skied 3.5 days at PC (.5 day was night skiing) and 3 days at DV with my perception of the differences between the two. Mind you, I don't think either one is fantastically better than the other, they're just ... different. And good.

Rally:
  • Can do shorter and longer radius turns with great control.
  • I noticed nicks around the metal at the tip when I got them, apparently other people have the same issue I do with the tips hooking the edge of the other ski; I think it's an uphill ski lead thing plus really wide tips for the waist width (that's how you get a 14.8m radius with a 77mm waist).
  • Excellent stability at speed, but requires more focus (although not at the level of my Volkl RaceTiger SL or GS planks...)
  • Thrilling ride!
  • No pow, so can't comment on that; seemed to work decently enough in the ungroomed stuff I ventured into.
  • 45K vertical feet in a day (w/o night skiing chairs) pretty much sums it up.

Jet Fuel
  • Not particularly good at short turns, 18m radius, but still easy to turn.
  • While I would not describe this ski as "forgiving", it's certainly easier to drive than the Rallys.
  • I've skied these in freshies before, pretty decent ski.
  • No issues with tips hooking, probably because they're narrower than the Rallys.
  • I can't really say that I've ever noticed issues with the bindings, when you're clamped in there's no motion to them.
Bottom line: If I was going to Deer Valley (or other places known for grooming) I'd prefer the Rallys. For Mammoth, maybe Squaw, etc; I still might pick the Jet Fuels.

Last edited:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
The thing that impresses me the most is getting 45K feet a day of vertical when skiing in your sixties. Good on you!

So much is written in ski forums about the magic of new skies, but, I think in the real world of skiers, most continue to do some pretty good skiing on older gear. I've a pair of 5 year old 78 waist carvers that continue to make me smile, just as your Jet Fuels do for you. Sometimes, skis are described as hard or soft snow biased, not sure if your Jet Fuels, at 84 waist, were designed to be a little more all-mounain, but, it's great to have a ski for mixed conditions.

Agree that the Head carvers do require some attention. I like your " they are just different...and good" analysis.

TS
Carl Kuck

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
The thing that impresses me the most is getting 45K feet a day of vertical when skiing in your sixties. Good on you!

Finishing my 6th decade = 59. First decade starts at age 0. :)

One final comment I'll make about those, I think I can see why Head is kicking ass on the WC circuit. And, even as an engineer, I have absolutely no idea how that whole KERS thing works...

TS
Carl Kuck

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I wanted to see if I could do this side-by-side with the Rally video, but couldn't figure that out. Same run, same week, same snow conditions, same old guy driver, different skis.

Sponsor