• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Communication on internet forums ...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Maybe this helps:

main3.jpg

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
"People are mad at me again because they don't read carefully."

Have to confess I so so so SO relate to that. Josh and you too, I suspect.

After all, if I didn't want to take the time to write what I mean and mean what I write, I'd just f-ing TALK with people. But we all know how imprecise THAT can be. Jeez, what a cluster conversation is. So little space for polish and revision. Remember that horrible period in human history when mail order effectively became phone order and you had to talk with a human to get your stuff? Thank God e-commerce came along!

Anyway, Yes. It took me a half hour to write those four sentences. The least you can do is take four minutes rather than four seconds to read them!

No i am pretty sure that when I asked to disprove the easter bunny as a companion thread to outside to outside ski people actually were mad, the entire point of posting that thread was that in an objective logical debate, the burden of proof always lies with the person that claims. That thought experiment has far reaching consequences at objectively disproving many myths, but my main goal was an attack on the people posting in outside ski to outside ski, who were not posting proof,

Mad isnt word I would ever use to describe me reading people's post anymore. Most post I simply ignore, even people who I am seem to get heated with, honestly I am just trying to out think them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
interpretation is irrelevant. whats right is right because its right, and whats wrong is wrong because its wrong.
In many cases (not all) there is a grey area when the black and white meet in the middle.
Sometimes its about understanding why the person we're communicating with doesn't see it the same way, even if we're right and they are wrong.

Interwebs is a terrible communication medium for nuance.
One of the things that I find nice about meeting so many of the members face to face when possible, is that once you meet them and understand their expressions, you read their posts differently.

When @James posts, I can hear his voice in my head and sometimes I can almost see his pause as he continues on after he brushes his Kennedy like hair from his forehead.
:D

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
One of the things that I find nice about meeting so many of the members face to face when possible, is that once you meet them and understand their expressions, you read their posts differently.

+100

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hey, a Corgi wagging its tail is never a bad thing!

Yes it is. It means they are either going to try and gnaw your feet off or are going to jump on you and shed. We had Pembroke Corgis which don't have tails and kind of wag their entire rear end but I guess this is too challenging for the emoticon artist. Great dogs but the shedding was a deal breaker when it came to getting a new puppy. Too lazy to do whatever I need to do to rename myself Doodleski.

No, this is not thread drift. I am demonstrating the role of the random obnoxious poster who butts in on threads despite having nothing relevant to say.:D

Last edited:

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
"People are mad at me again because they don't read carefully."

Have to confess I so so so SO relate to that. Josh and you too, I suspect.

After all, if I didn't want to take the time to write what I mean and mean what I write, I'd just f-ing TALK with people. But we all know how imprecise THAT can be. Jeez, what a cluster conversation is. So little space for polish and revision. Remember that horrible period in human history when mail order effectively became phone order and you had to talk with a human to get your stuff? Thank God e-commerce came along!

Anyway, Yes. It took me a half hour to write those four sentences. The least you can do is take four minutes rather than four seconds to read them!

I get your wit and (dry) humor. I also think @James is in the same category. Keep it up guys!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
"This is what happens, Larry!"

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah but there's always Chappaquiddick...

It's getting really hard now to change my driver's door to a hand crank window. But I've got one of these bolted to the roof.
IMG_5106.PNG

Wait, I need more than one?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not recognizing the existence of James for a while because of all the swooning over his Kennedy-like hair.
But...did you make us bread?
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 7.39.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 7.39.48 AM.png

Last edited:
TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
*cry*

Also, can you embed google drive photos as well as video? Inquiring minds ...
I think you can if your google drive setting is public. I'll ask @Dwight, he's much smarter than I am.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
google drive would need to be made public, at least the file. Google photos isn't much better. Google doesn't like to share nice. :)

Yeah, that was my impression last time I tried - but "google" showed up when I quoted Tricia's post, so I wondered. I'm leery of their photo URLs being permanent, as they're not designed to be shared individually.

Sponsor

Staff online