• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comet Neowise

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Saw it last night for the first time from upper rear deck at my house in SE San Jose (from where I can see Mt. Tam when it's clear), even though I have to look over the lights of most of the Bay Area.

I looked once in early morning from Tahoe last week (when Venus was about as bright as it gets and almost on top of Aldebaran, but I was not up early enough to drive to top of Kingsbury where Neowise was probably visible), then tried again in Sat. evening from near Party Rocks above South Lake Tahoe, and at least two previous nights from home without success.

Last night I saw it at a few minutes after 10 using binoculars. I think it helped that smoke from fires in San Joaquin Valley is no longer affecting our area, plus neighbors patio lights were off, and comet has moved higher and a little more NW so trees to N don't block it and it is still up when after sunset light is much less than earlier.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@textrovert got a great early morning shot last week, I saw from instagram.

I caught it Sunday morning, but there was too much light pollution. Will try for an evening this weekend, now that I know how dark it needs to be, now in the NW sky.

Also right now, I think 5 planets are in alignment in the early morning. :)
@textrovert has a knack for getting amazing shots!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
This information suggests that the comet is best seen about 45 minutes after sunset.
But...Textrovert got his shot in the morning.
It was visible last week and before in the early morning just before sunrise. Now it is only visible just after sunset. Darned comet won't stay still and insists on moving around the sun in an orbit (seriously @Tricia that's the reason - because it's moving and right now it's moving fast because it's getting closer to the Sun, it's changing where you can see it).

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was visible last week and before in the early morning just before sunrise. Now it is only visible just after sunset. Darned comet won't stay still and insists on moving around the sun in an orbit (seriously @Tricia that's the reason - because it's moving and right now it's moving fast because it's getting closer to the Sun, it's changing where you can see it).

I believe it has already had it's closest encounter with the sun in its orbit (so there is no danger of it breaking up and quickly going away). It is close to the earth's orbit now. The movement in the sky relative to the earth (and sun) is quick because it is relatively close to us. In a while it will slow its apparent movement (as it gets farther away) and fade (as it gets farther from us and also farther from the heat and light of the sun).

Comets are unpredictable. A big jet might open up and put on a better show - but that usually happens on the way in. They are also infrequent - so go see it while you can!

Eric

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just checked the date of Textroverts image July 10th. I thought it was more recent. Time flies.
Maybe we need to get Gypsy's dog trainer to train the comet to stay ;)

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I believe it has already had it's closest encounter with the sun in its orbit (so there is no danger of it breaking up and quickly going away). It is close to the earth's orbit now.
Ah, you are right Eric, although the point that comets go like the clappers close to the Sun (and Earth's orbit is close to the Sun in those terms) is still true. Hence even going away from the Sun, if moving fast, the position relative to Earth can change a fair amount. However, your bigger point is far more important: CHECK THIS OUT PUGSKIERS - IT'S FUN!

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I went up a ridge last night in North Lake Tahoe. The comet and its tail were about an "inch" long to the naked eye? More of a smear.

It was definitely brighter last week, when I saw it in the morning outside of Sacramento.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Photographer Lester Tsai captured Neowise over Mt Hood in Oregon. Nice photos. Those bright lights on the snow are night grooming operations at Timberline Lodge ski area, and the actual Lodge.

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2020/07/lester-tsai-comet-neowise/

Neowise-Mt-Hood2.jpg
Neowise-Mt-Hood.jpg

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife, two friends and I were out on our place near Terrebonne, OR and got a great view. The best viewing time was about 11:00 with the comet fairly low in the NW. It was visible to the naked eye, good in binoculars, and spectacular in my 5 in reflector telescope.

Also Jupiter and Saturn are in opposition now [as close to the earth as they will be for a long while]. If you have never seen Saturns rings or Jupiters moons now is the time. Look a little south of east not long after sunset.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I went out to our upper patio to see if I could see anything last night and was hit in the face with smoke the minute I stepped outside.
We won't be seeing anything around Reno over the next few nights :(
This is what our view over Reno looks like this morning.

1CA22A39-D5F7-4A21-A0E2-A44CC8038F36.jpeg

Last edited:

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My wife, two friends and I were out on our place near Terrebonne, OR and got a great view. The best viewing time was about 11:00 with the comet fairly low in the NW. It was visible to the naked eye, good in binoculars, and spectacular in my 5 in reflector telescope.

Also Jupiter and Saturn are in opposition now [as close to the earth as they will be for a long while]. If you have never seen Saturns rings or Jupiters moons now is the time. Look a little south of east not long after sunset.
Can’t find Saturn, but got Jupiter and one moon with 40x binocs. Good tip! Neowise looked good too!

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Went out tonight to see the comet, Saturn, and Jupiter. Cloudy until about 10:30. With binoculars, I think I found Jupiter but could not distinguish its colors/stripes. Saturn was a faint blur. And no comet.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's getting pretty washed out by the moon now. Just a fuzzy ball below the big dipper. Still visible with binoculars. It might still be good in a while when the moon isn't dominating so much.

Jupiter and Saturn are striking despite the moon's brightness.

The clear desert dark night skies help.

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid