• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comet Neowise

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
12:01 am Thursday night/Friday morning over Chewelah, WA (near 49° North). I bet the view from the mountain was better.

neowise.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've looked the past two evenings around 10pm here. Too much light polution :-( But it might be visible later in the month when it's higher above the horizon??

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am searching for a spot with less light pollution as well. However, I did see a satellite the other night and we can see the ISS nightly from our backyard.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We also get good views of ISS when we know where and when to look.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@textrovert got a great early morning shot last week, I saw from instagram.

I caught it Sunday morning, but there was too much light pollution. Will try for an evening this weekend, now that I know how dark it needs to be, now in the NW sky.

Also right now, I think 5 planets are in alignment in the early morning. :)

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I tried @3 am last week but no luck, the past two nights however, have been spectacular, viewing through binocs. I hiked up '1200 to catch it.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Go straight down from the big dipper just after evening twilight. You need a very dark sky. Binoculars help. It is just above the twilight orange band. As it gets darker, it also gets lower so it doesn't improve much.

It is pretty cool. A classic comet. It's just not super bright so you have to work pretty hard to see it.

It is likely to be gone from naked eye viewing once the new moon arrives. So do hurry.

Eric

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
@textrovert got a great early morning shot last week, I saw from instagram.

I caught it Sunday morning, but there was too much light pollution. Will try for an evening this weekend, now that I know how dark it needs to be, now in the NW sky.

Also right now, I think 5 planets are in alignment in the early morning. :)

Wow, that's really pretty.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Saw it last night. Could see it in my peripheral vision with the naked eye, but just enough to know it was there. Needed binocs to really pick up on it.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
It becomes visible just about the same time as the Big Dipper, and will be just below and left.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Went out right at sunset and then about every 10 minutes until 11pm. Couldn't see a comet below and left of the dipper. Scanning with binoculars around below and left of the dipper I did see a faint star like object in that location, tiny, but could not see a tail. I guess I'd have to get outside of the big city area a few miles to see it. Bummed a little because I really tried hard last night. Hale-Bopp was too easy. I could sit on my back porch in north Texas chilling and see that all night long for at least a full week. I guess my kids will have to wait on the next one. But, they don't seem at all interested in trying to find a better spot to see this one.

Last edited:

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Past two nights I went out looked to the North-Northwest and was greeted by lovely formations of clouds. I need a space based front porch.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
It is now in the NW evening sky. It will be a bit above this explanation tonight, but this will get you to the right area. About an hour to an hour and a half after sunset, find the Big Dipper. Draw a line in your mind from the last star of the handle (and therefore part of the dipper bit) to the opposite bottom star of the dipper, so you are going diagonal through the dipper. Extend that line 2 times down, and there, last night, was the comet. It’ll be a little bit higher in the sky tonight, but this’ll get you in the right area. It’s very good with binoculars, but can also be seen with the naked eye.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We're on the Oregon coast in Gold Beach. I was able to pick it up with the binocs early, though I couldn't see it bare. As it got darker it was better. Better with the binocs than the spotting scope. Not very clear though, guessing due to low haze. It was much clearer in Cave Junction the night before.

Sponsor