• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Combined Alta Bird/ Jackson Hole Solo trip?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey, I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for a January solo trip to Alta/ Bird and then maybe heading up to Jackson for a few days.

I'm meeting friends Jan. 15 - 19 at Snowbird. I'm looking to head up to JH from there to meet other friends for another 3 days of skiing.

Options? Rent a car and drive up to JH and then drive back to SLC to fly home?
Take public transportation to JH and fly home from there. Is there a bus or shuttle that goes from SLC to Jackson?
Anybody here done this before?

It looks like about a 5 hour drive between the 2 places. Maybe 4.5 from SLC airport to JH.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah I've driven it. 2 routes. I80 to Evanston and north from there or out west via Logan/Montpellier. Both end up in Afton. Drive not too bad until you get into canyons nearer to Jackson. Watch for deer.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Going solo it might be easier/cheaper to just fly SLC to Jackson, if that's the only time you'd need a rental car. - and if that fits with your origin city, you could avoid backtracking that flight leg on the way home.

One benefit of driving between is you could spend a ski-day at Beaver Mountain, and convert a drive day into a drive/ski/drive day. Beaver is on my list of areas to visit, looks like a great off-the-radar powdery place.

Last edited:

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last winter I paid dearly for a 4x4 rental car at Enterprise. When we got there I was offered one of two Nissan Armadas on the lot. Both had terrible, mismatched all-season tires. The rental agent said not to expect any car in their fleet to have actual winter tires.

Years ago when I last made that trip I had a grand time trying to stay out of the way of the local ranchers going 70mph on snowpacked roads in their pickup trucks. I have held an SCCA racing license and have driven in snow all my life but that drive scared the heck out of me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last winter I paid dearly for a 4x4 rental car at Enterprise. When we got there I was offered one of two Nissan Armadas on the lot. Both had terrible, mismatched all-season tires. The rental agent said not to expect any car in their fleet to have actual winter tires.
That happened to me too, I had rented a SUV and the tires were awful, scary awful. the first part of my trip was in Utah with family, so I needed the space and the foraces wasn't bad, but the second part of the trip was to head up to Jackson, Big Sky and Steamboat solo. I returned the SUV and walked the lot to see which car had the best tires and it was a Impreza.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Going solo it might be easier/cheaper to just fly SLC to Jackson, if that's the only time you'd need a rental car. - and if that fits with your origin city, you could avoid backtracking that flight leg on the way home.

One benefit of driving between is you could spend a ski-day at Beaver Mountain, and convert a drive day into a drive/ski/drive day. Beaver is on my list of areas to visit, looks like a great off-the-radar powdery place.
Beaver is a great area. Worth a stop on the way certainly.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Looked at flying SLC to Jackson. It costs right around $200. Hmmm, That is less than renting a car would cost for a 4 day trip and I won't need a car at Jackson.
probably cost ya $200 in gas alone just to drive there and back. i know it would in my truck.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey, I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for a January solo trip to Alta/ Bird and then maybe heading up to Jackson for a few days.
Personally, I'd add those extra days onto skiing Utah... Jackson makes more sense to me as a separate trip. Your timing coincides with the Sundance Film Festival, which has previously been a good time to find lower crowds in Park City and Deer Valley (locals might have more up-to-date information). I doubt you'd be bored by Altabird after just a few days, and there are other great ski areas much closer where you'll have a great time skiing solo, or with new friends.

Sponsor

Staff online