• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Colorado Road Trip

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m a New England based skier and, for the last four years, have travelled to Mt Bachelor with my son for a week of skiing. With so many unknowns surrounding resort operations and air travel I’ve begun to think about doing a road trip this upcoming season. Denver is a doable 2000 miles from home. My son is 20 and loves to drive so I can see us heading to Colorado.

We have the Ikon pass and they describe a road trip that hits all of their Colorado destinations; Arapahoe Basin, Copper Mountain, Aspen Snowmass, Steamboat, Eldora, and Winter Park. Instead of blindly following their suggestion I would love to hear from people who know the region and resorts mentioned. As for preferences, we have always been happy with the terrain offered at Mt. Bachelor. We never made it off the back side of the summit, Northwest and Cloudchaser areas are our favorites.

Trip will likely be early to mid March with roughly 9 days available for skiing and travel between areas. I don’t have to hit all six resorts but would like to include Steamboat and A-Basin. We’ve been spoiled at Bachelor with no significant lift lines at all and would like to avoid crowds as much as possible. Hoping to make the most out of whatever this ski season offers and a road trip should offer the greatest flexibility. Thanks in advance for comments/advice/questions.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen-Snowmass is great for minimal crowds at a major resort. I would say that if you hit A-basin, Steamboat and Aspen, that would be plenty for the length of your trip. You didn't mention budget, lodging and dining in Aspen can get pretty pricey.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
We’ve been spoiled at Bachelor with no significant lift lines at all and would like to avoid crowds as much as possible. Hoping to make the most out of whatever this ski season offers and a road trip should offer the greatest flexibility. Thanks in advance for comments/advice/questions.

Its gonna be REALLY tough to avoid crowds, the front range is FULL of skiers with plenty of free time but still barring a powder day you can find plenty of space most weekdays.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I concur with Bill's suggestion that Aspen is good for lower crowds. Also like his suggestion of picking three destinations. Aspen practically counts as three destinations by itself with great skiing at Ajax, Snowmass and Highlands. Early to mid-March is generally a beautiful time to be in CO, but can be busy, although not so busy that you shouldn't get there if at all possible :ogbiggrin:

I've done east-west drives about 12 out of last 20 winters for as few as 5 days skiing and four days driving (2 out, 2 back). And now for much longer trips of several months. Usually with others, but also several times solo. Have had several great father and son trips. The long drives allow for some quality time with friends/family. And it helps to be able to switch drivers.

To understand your schedule, did you say 9 days in CO, then additionally several days to drive out and back (2 out/2 back)? That sounds like you have two weeks for the entire trip, correct?

You have to decide how much you want to bounce around vs. how much you want to stay in one place. I've done the whirlwind different ski area every day thing, but have found that visiting fewer places and staying longer is less taxing especially considering that you'll already have a demanding schedule with the big drives out and back.

I've skied at all the places you mentioned including Bachelor. Given your enjoyment of Bachelor you should also like the extensive intermediate-advanced skiing at Snowmass, Steamboat and Copper. A-Basin is a more difficult mtn, but if you ski all of the stuff off Northwest chair at Bachelor you should enjoy it too. Aspen Highlands is perhaps my favorite mtn in CO and if you get to Aspen, I recommend you check it out. Some very challenging stuff there, but also some extremely scenic groomers.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
The front range is definitely going to feel more crowded than Bachelor. Skip Eldora... smallish, crowded, and out of the way. If you like the long fall-line runs at Bachelor, I think you'll like Copper a lot, with the caveat that it'll be crowded, especially on weekends. It's close enough to A-Basin and Winter Park that you don't need to decide ahead of time--I'd say do your first close-to-Denver day at Copper, then see how it feels after that. Aspen and Steamboat also seem like obvious picks if they're paid-for... but keep in mind that Aspen isn't included in the 20-21 Ikon Base pass (there's an add-on available).

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
We welcome you to come to Steamboat. Even though the trip will be during a relatively busy time, lift lines should be very manageable. They always are here... The only line will be in the morning but I'll share the "trick" on that if you contact me when you come out. I'll also be happy to share any intel on SB or give you a mountain tour if you are interested.

If you hit the front range resorts maybe target those for weekdays and hit the others (Steamboat, Aspen) on the weekends since you won't have quite the number from Denver to deal with.

Have a great trip!

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I would let weather dictate the exact destination.

Aspen, A-basin (Copper), Steamboat and Winter Park each have different weather pattern.

If similar weather, I’d say Aspen would be my first choice for low crowd and diverse terrain. I’d spend all my 7 (or 5?) days right there if the weather is favorable. Make that the focal point of the trip, and fit the rest of the days around it.

Coming from the east, I’m not sure you’d find Steamboat particularly worthwhile. Unless you hit it on a powder day (or 1-2 days post powder). It’s known for its glades, albeit different kind of glade than the east. Also, March could be hit or miss as it’s relatively low and faces the wrong way...

With only 9 days of skiing, I’d do 2 at Copper, move onto Aspen for 5, then 2 more at A-basin on the way back. Least amount of detour and a decent variety of terrain. But do keep Winter Park and Steamboat in your back pocket for weather related deviations.

Keep in mind storms could derail your plan. So be flexible in your lodging arrangements.

Last edited:

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
My guess is that there will be some great deals for Aspen next winter. I would look for lodging this summer.

Aspen is not nearly as expensive as people think. There are deals to be had and you will rarely wait in a line.

If you are looking to maximize your ski time and minimize standing in lift lines, the Power of Four is for you.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
As advised by others Aspen will offer relief from crowds. If you value mainly north facing terrain drop Steamboat off the list.
Do Aspen on the Friday Saturday Sunday and Monday and leave Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday for Copper/A Basin.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I want to attempt to take into account, at least somewhat, what might happen if Covid 19 requires limiting the number of skiers on the mountain, to allow for social distancing, etc., without letting such considerations take over or get in the way too much. It seems the most likely scenario, at this point, even if it is not required by law. And it seems like something to take into account, to some extent anyway. (Yuck.)

I'd second looking at Copper Mountain as first destination to hit, over the limited number of day (Ikon) locations of Aspen Snowmass, Steamboat and A Basin (with their potentially more limited commitment to Ikon skier access, if there is rationing). And I'd also second skiing there on weekdays. (I've skied all your Colorado choices, but not at Bachelor.) Copper is a bit of a sleeper area that has really great terrain, spread out in a way that makes crowd avoiding possible, in the unlikely event there are mild crowds. And Copper in an unlimited access area on your pass, so it would almost certainly provide you with top priority if day access has to be limited or rationed.

There seems to be some confusion, at least for me, in a few of these posts about Ikon and Aspen. Only one area at Aspen, Snowmass, is included in the full Ikon pass and base pass plus, and none at all in the regular base pass. Highlands and Ajax are not in the picture, except through expensive extra ticket packages, which may be lowest priority in the event of some form of rationed access. I (AND MANY OF THE LOCALS) agree that Aspen Highlands is a favorite Aspen ski hill (over Ajax, Buttermilk and Snowmass) - in terms of terrain, conditions and crowds. But even if you pony up for the extra Highlands ticket package in addition to the Ikon pass, if there is access rationing due to the virus, this may not work out, don't know.

Snowmass itself is a ways from Aspen, maybe almost a half hour drive? (At least 20 minutes.) And since it offers a limited number of days only to Ikon folk (5 for the plus, 7 for the full), if this season they are forced to limit/ration the number of skiers, then Ikon passholders may be second fiddle on the list in priority to get that day's passes, second to the full on Aspen season passholders, who are not part of Ikon. (Hope this doesn't happen.)

That same limiting/rationing, second fiddle problem might arise at A Basin also, but probably not at Copper and Winter Park, which offer Ikon folk unlimited access and thus presumably priority status, rather than a limited number of days. If rationing sets in, this may matter. (It did at A Basin's re-opening at the end of the season this year, when A Basin season passholders got a priority position in their lottery, over the Ikon folk.)

TS
puptwin

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I want to attempt to take into account, at least somewhat, what might happen if Covid 19 requires limiting the number of skiers on the mountain, to allow for social distancing, etc., without letting such considerations take over or get in the way too much. It seems the most likely scenario, at this point, even if it is not required by law. And it seems like something to take into account, to some extent anyway. (Yuck.)

I'd second looking at Copper Mountain as first destination to hit, over the limited number of day (Ikon) locations of Aspen Snowmass, Steamboat and A Basin (with their potentially more limited commitment to Ikon skier access, if there is rationing). And I'd also second skiing there on weekdays. (I've skied all your Colorado choices, but not at Bachelor.) Copper is a bit of a sleeper area that has really great terrain, spread out in a way that makes crowd avoiding possible, in the unlikely event there are mild crowds. And Copper in an unlimited access area on your pass, so it would almost certainly provide you with top priority if day access has to be limited or rationed.

There seems to be some confusion, at least for me, in a few of these posts about Ikon and Aspen. Only one area at Aspen, Snowmass, is included in the full Ikon pass and base pass plus, and none at all in the regular base pass. Highlands and Ajax are not in the picture, except through expensive extra ticket packages, which may be lowest priority in the event of some form of rationed access. I (AND MANY OF THE LOCALS) agree that Aspen Highlands is a favorite Aspen ski hill (over Ajax, Buttermilk and Snowmass) - in terms of terrain, conditions and crowds. But even if you pony up for the extra Highlands ticket package in addition to the Ikon pass, if there is access rationing due to the virus, this may not work out, don't know.

Snowmass itself is a ways from Aspen, maybe almost a half hour drive? (At least 20 minutes.) And since it offers a limited number of days only to Ikon folk (5 for the plus, 7 for the full), if this season they are forced to limit/ration the number of skiers, then Ikon passholders may be second fiddle on the list in priority to get that day's passes, second to the full on Aspen season passholders, who are not part of Ikon. (Hope this doesn't happen.)

That same limiting/rationing, second fiddle problem might arise at A Basin also, but probably not at Copper and Winter Park, which offer Ikon folk unlimited access and thus presumably priority status, rather than a limited number of days. If rationing sets in, this may matter. (It did at A Basin's re-opening at the end of the season this year, when A Basin season passholders got a priority position in their lottery, over the Ikon folk.)
Thanks to everyone who responded and @New2 for the reminder that Aspen is an upgrade using Ikon. With the overwhelming recommendations it looks like Aspen should be a big part of our trip. @Jim Kenney, I agree with your thoughts on staying a little longer at each place we visit rather than trying to hit them all.

@ski otter 2 , you bring up questions regarding subtleties of the Ikon pass as it relates to Aspen and I appreciate your input. I've already sent an email to Ikon asking about the upgrade option and any deadlines or pricing changes. When I hear back from them I'll look a little deeper into the details of what access really means.

Regarding rationing or limited availability at any of the resorts, I'm thinking the process will be figured out long before we leave and that will be a part of the final decision. The road trip offers the greatest flexibility regarding destinations and adjustments as needed to make the most of our trip. If restrictions are too severe we may have to postpone for another season, we'll just see how it plays out.

I spend a lot of time cruising around here on Pugski trying to stay connected to a sport I love and have too few opportunities to enjoy. Planning a trip provides something to focus on and might give me something to show for the hours I burn up. I appreciate the spirit of this community; the willingness to share and help others is awesome.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Here are a few old trip reports involving East-West drives. Had a good time on all of these trips. The only time I had a minor road/travel delay was once on a road trip to Utah. Had to stay over westbound in Rawlins, WY when I80 was closed due to blowing snow. Because we had our own car, we just pushed all ski days back one day and drove home one day later than planned.

Not Colorado, but more recent than above reports:
It's hard to say how next season will play out, but if visitors to CO are way below normal it might make it easier for you to wait to select lodging closer to travel dates.

Last edited:

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
if visitors to CO are way below normal it might make it easier for you to wait to select lodging closer to travel dates.
I think that’s not an “if” but a matter of “how much” (below normal).

Lodging will NOT be your concern. Or the concern becoming how much discount you can negotiate!

Last edited:

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
There seems to be some confusion, at least for me, in a few of these posts about Ikon and Aspen. Only one area at Aspen, Snowmass, is included in the full Ikon pass and base pass plus, and none at all in the regular base pass. Highlands and Ajax are not in the picture, except through expensive extra ticket packages, which may be lowest priority in the event of some form of rationed access...
Ikonpass.com seems to make it pretty clear that Highlands, Ajax, Buttermilk, and Snowmass are all part of "Aspen Snowmass" and share days.

Thanks to everyone who responded and @New2 for the reminder that Aspen is an upgrade using Ikon. With the overwhelming recommendations it looks like Aspen should be a big part of our trip. @Jim Kenney, I agree with your thoughts on staying a little longer at each place we visit rather than trying to hit them all.

@ski otter 2 , you bring up questions regarding subtleties of the Ikon pass as it relates to Aspen and I appreciate your input. I've already sent an email to Ikon asking about the upgrade option and any deadlines or pricing changes. When I hear back from them I'll look a little deeper into the details of what access really means.

While I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy Aspen, if it's going to cost you a few hundred bucks extra it may not be necessary. Copper, Steamboat, and maybe A-Basin or Winter Park are still more terrain and variety than you get at Bachelor, and they're already paid-for.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Ikonpass.com seems to make it pretty clear that Highlands, Ajax, Buttermilk, and Snowmass are all part of "Aspen Snowmass" and share days.

While I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy Aspen, if it's going to cost you a few hundred bucks extra it may not be necessary. Copper, Steamboat, and maybe A-Basin or Winter Park are still more terrain and variety than you get at Bachelor, and they're already paid-for.

I agree. I wouldn't pay the extra $$$ as I prefer Steamboat and Copper to Highlands or Snowmass. Also if you're like me and don't like the 1%er vibe (more like 0.001%er) you're not going to like the town of Aspen either. Though Glenwood Springs down the valley is pretty cool.

Snowmass is good for uncrowded blue groomer skiing, but it's tough to get from pod to pod... There's quite a bit of traversing. Highlands has good long steeper groomers, but the mountain isn't very wide, and I found we kept getting funneled into the same few areas over and over. The Aspen areas had very little tree skiing from what we saw too, as the brush was too dense. This was probably our biggest disappointment as this is our favourite type of skiing.

My friend was at Copper during President's Day last year and lapped the black groomers on the Super Bee chair without any crowds. Like my friend, this is probably my favourite chair in CO. The crowds mainly stick to the chairs serving the blue and green terrain. When I was there, it did seem there was some tree skiing but it was pretty bony that year.

Winter Park is the top mogul ski resort around if you're into that. The Mary Jane side is huge with long steep fall line mogul runs (same goes for the East chair at Copper). The tree skiing seemed good by CO standards... but I was with my 10yo son who was trying to navigate powder for the first time so I didn't really get to sample. The groomer skiing wasn't great as the continuous vertical is limited to about 1500ft in most pods. Like Snowmass, there's a lot of traversing in some areas.

Steamboat is good due to the lower elevation. It might be a good idea to start there while you acclimatize... Especially if you can go early March and maximize the cold. Crowds aren't too much or an issue so you could time this with a weekend arrival.

So, if you start at Steamboat, then work your way back to Copper, WP, and maybe AB, you'll have a great trip.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As for preferences, we have always been happy with the terrain offered at Mt. Bachelor. We never made it off the back side of the summit, Northwest and Cloudchaser areas are our favorites.
Would you mind describing the terrain you like at Mt. Bachelor? I think a lot of us CO skiers have never been there and it would help to better understand your terrain preferences.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Me personally I would play the last minute game and hotwire rooms down the road from these areas. You have the power to be flexible use it. Aspen areas are.gonna give you great diversity in terrain with less people as mentioned.

Dont underestimate the drive...
I've done it twenty plus times, nh to wherever and it's long, great way to see america, but long.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
I personally would not try to cram both Steamboat and Aspen into a 9-day trip. Better to choose one or the other as your farthest destination and add the Front Range resorts (A-Basin, Copper, Winter Park) as bookends to break up the driving. You mentioned Steamboat in your post which I like very much.

If I were planing this trip I would choose one of the following itineraries :

Copper/A-Basin (3-4 days) => Steamboat (3-4 days) => Winter Park (2-3 days)
Total drive time starting in Denver: 6:45
Longest single segment of driving: 2:00
-or-
Copper/A-Basin (2 days) => Aspen (5-days) => Copper/A-Basin (2 days)
Total drive time starting in Denver: 7:30
Longest single segment of driving: 2:15

My recommendations:
=> Avoid the Front Range on weekends; farther from Denver = less crowding
=> The towns of Silverthorn and Frisco make a good home-base for A-Bay and Copper; the scenic 19th century mining
town of Breckinridge is nearby for a fun night out even if you are not planning to ski at Breck.

DRIVE TIMES:
Denver to Silverthorn ~1:30
Silverthorn to Steamboat ~1:45
Steamboat to Winter Park ~2:00
Winter Park to Denver ~1:30

Silverthorn to Aspen ~2:15

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
We're gonna need to be flexible next season. Even road trips will be problematic if your license plates are from a state with an uncontrolled outbreak. If it's me, I'm waiting for the last minute to book lodging.

Summit County will be among the most affected by the virus this year because of the concern about tourists mixing with Front Range people. Salt Lake City may be the same. Big Sky, Jackson Hole or maybe Telluride or Aspen all might be better bets. You need to keep your options open this year.

dm

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Some confusion above, on the changes to Ikon for next year. The 5-day Ikon base pass requires paying an extra $150 to add on Jackson Hole and the 4 Aspen/Snowmass areas (5 or 7 days combined, at Ajax (aka Aspen Mountain) /Buttermilk/Highlands/Snowmass). The full 7-day Ikon pass includes those areas, but with renewal this year was only $200 more --no-brainer upgrade for us..... If you haven't skied CO before, and have limited time, it may not be worth the upgrade cost and extra driving, as Copper, A-basin, WP, Steamboat are plenty for one trip, as mentioned above.

You can add JH and Aspen next-next year, and hope that we'll all be reminiscing about back when the virus kiboshed a decent ski season in the middle of March.... Plus, if you've driven all the way from back east, a better detour would be to hit Taos, NM on the end of your trip for a day or two -- (Taos is included on the Ikon base pass). Staying in the town of Taos will be easier on the budget than Aspen, and easier to book last-minute (Aspen's not all super-glitzy, just mostly). While Taos is known for their epic (oops, I meant to say ikonic) steeps there's a decent amount of good intermediate terrain, if that's your speed.

You could trade drive-time for ski-time, hitting a smaller resort and buying a lift ticket one day, if you're flexible and consider adding Loveland or Monarch into the mix, based on where the snow's flying, and your schedule. Yeah, I know, we all have un-used, already paid-for Ikon days....

We once drove 2 hours on nasty roads to take advantage of a free day (but crowded) on hard-pack at Crested Butte, we found out later that if we'd just driven one hour in the other direction and bought a lift ticket, we could have spent the day skiing 18" of powder at Telluride. But we didn't bother to check the snow/weather reports.... this was in the "dark ages" before internet and OpenSnow. I'll never get that ski-day back....

A bit more info on what type of skier you are, terrain level you're looking for, could be helpful. Glades? Mellow groomers? Steep Gnarly Chutes? A bit of each?
While Steamboat has gotten busier on weekends, it's still a better weekend bet than WP or Summit county, as noted above. Plus Steamboat has some reasonably priced places to stay in-town, easy walk along Main St. to restaurants, easy to catch the shuttle to the gondola (Rabbit Ears Motel, Nordic Lodge-- Hotel Bristol also good for a few add'l $) better than the generic chain places between town and ski area, if slope-side condos are beyond the budget. In WP, Valdez Creek Inn, on the main drag is a good deal, convenient bus to base area.

Summit county has busses, too, but staying in Silverthorne or Frisco usually means driving a half hour in traffic first, then riding the shuttle bus from the outlying Copper parking lots. Ok, but not great like Steamboat's town-to-mountain layout. Don't get too locked in on the drive option - that's a whole lot of vacation ski time mis-spent... (all bets are off for next season tho)-- Steamboat typically has had decent flight access from back east - way better than flying to Denver, then driving a rental in traffic/weather into the mountains on I-70 to Copper and beyond.

Sponsor

Staff online