• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado one-ski(ish) quiver carving ski

Mr.Malinois

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello friends, I hope you can help guide me in my next ski purchase, which will be my new daily driver ski for 90% of days and conditions. I will use my current skis for big dumps and late spring.

I live in Colorado and ski 5-15 days a season, mostly at Keystone, Vail, and A-Basin, with an occasional foray to UT. I am a 53 years old male and have been skiing for 40 years. I am an advanced-intermediate, maybe even an advanced skier. Height is 5’7” (170cm); weight is 135 lbs. (61kg).

My formative years were spent chasing friends who were much better skiers and skiing off-trail terrain that was above my ability. Over the past several years, I have primarily stayed on-trails, focused on improving my technique, and now mostly enjoy carving small to medium turns at decent speeds.

Current ski is a (2013 or 14) Salomon Rocker 2 90, which is a rockered, all-mountain ski with no metal. At 169 length, it has an 88mm waist and 15m radius. I want a big jump up in ski performance, and want something narrower, quicker side-to-side, turnier, damper, and grippier on hard scraped off and ice. I want to feel like I am on skates.

I think I should be looking at “piste” skis, between 70-80mm, with around 13m turn radius, which are focused on frontside carving, and also have some capability to handle fresh snow, back bowls, and easy bumps. With my diminutive size, I think I should look at skis in the 160cm length range.

Based purely on ski reviews (and that I can find these skis coming up on sale locally), I have come up with the following options:
  • Volkl Deacon 80 – 162 or 167 cm (80mm, 12/13m)
  • Head E-Rally – 163 cm (76mm, 12.8m)
  • Fischer the Curv GT – 161 (76mm, 14m)
  • Blizzard Thunderbird R15 WB – 158 or 166 cm (76m, 13/14m)
If you can provide any insight on these skis, or other recommendations, based on my ability, size, location, normal terrain, etc… I would very much appreciate hearing your thoughts. I am not going to demo these skis. I am just going to pick a ski on sale in the next month or so and start skiing them. Thank you.
-Mr. Malinois

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your list looks pretty good. I would favor the eRally or the Curv GT as you can slide a Protector binding on there and maybe save your ACLs. Another ski to consider that I really like this season is the Atomic Redster Q9.8 (84mm) or you could drop down to the Q9 (75mm). And if you’re leaning more off piste, but still want a lot of carving chops, take a look at the Fischer RC One 82 GT. They are going extinct next season and you might be able to find some deals soon. Though, I must say, my personal favorite for this type of skiing is the Ogasaka KS-XX.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We're pretty close in age, height and weight. I probably ski 2-3 times more than you and ski more terrain than you at similar CO resorts. My narrow all mountain carver is a Liberty V76 in 165cm which would be pretty much perfect for you. However, it's no longer made. If you can find a lightly used one, consider getting it. With that being said, something like the Stockli Laser AX for sale here would work really well too.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Blossom AM77 is a darling amongst SkiTalkers and would probably be perfect for you. Plus it comes in 164cm. Might be hard to find since there’s no longer a US Blossom distributor. Maybe find a used one from someone on SkiTalk who has a huge quiver and is willing to unload it.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
You did a great job naming thie metrics. I own the Blizzard and I'll tell you it is one fantastic ski but I would call it a little more on the upper end in terms of speed and abilities. Still it might be a ski you for you if you're going to stay on piste.

TS
M

Mr.Malinois

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Is nobody going to suggest that I buy an FIS slalom ski? I'm not worthy.

I do appreciate the suggestions. Narrowing my list further, can anyone compare the Deacon 80 and Rally? Thanks.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is nobody going to suggest that I buy an FIS slalom ski? I'm not worthy.

I do appreciate the suggestions. Narrowing my list further, can anyone compare the Deacon 80 and Rally? Thanks.
You're worthy. You're just sensible. Your direction here is well thought out, so just keep going with it.

@aveski is about your size and just bought a Deacon 80.

Realize that a bumps and tree ski is next. ;)

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Deacon 80's are an awesome ski for the East. I'll have a better idea how they are in softer snow after the gathering. I got the 167.

Gibby

Booting up
Skier
If you’re in the Denver area, check out Meier skis. Showroom and factory on South Broadway.
My wife is on their most popular ski, the QuickDraw. I am on the Wrangler.

Sponsor

Staff online