• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado avalanche death during avalanche course

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is terribly sad news out of Colorado.
A man from Longmont Colorado died Saturday while taking an avalanche safety course in Silverton.

Six skiers were swept away in the avalanche, 5 walked away, except one. Peter Marshall, a 40 year old man from Longmont, the first avalanche fatality of the year in Colorado.

Condolences to his family.

See Denver Post story here

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
Sad. Jan 6 is a bad day for the school. From the Colo Sun article an intern was killed skiing on the same day in 2015.

Wooley12

Putting on skis
Skier
I lost a friend in an avy on another Red Mt. a couple of years back. He'd just taken an advanced avy class on his way to becoming a ski mountaineering guide. Went for a 1500' climb up 45+ deg before going to work and stepped onto a pocket of windblown. I asked a friend who has 1000+ days of guiding what he thought had happened. He looked at me kind of cold stoic and said "I wasn't there." It's always a loss.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Traveling in avalanche terrain is a shitty feedback environment. You only notice when you get unlucky. All the times you got lucky register as "I made a good decision".
I'm not sure I agree with this "all the times you got lucky" thing. As sometimes you actually do make good decision and nothing happened because of that good decision. But on the other side, especially considering there's never, and I mean NEVER, 100% safe terrain from avalanches, unless there's no snow of course, you can also consider this as luck. As even with all the right decisions, you can still be unlucky and get hurt. So maybe you are actually right.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
How did this come about? I would like to see the full report, but until then my suspicion is skiing back country when avalanche risk was high. I've been extremely reckless in my younger days, skiing where I shouldn't have been skiing, skiing terrain beyond my abilities, skiing at ludricrous speed, skiing back country alone no gear other than skis boots, poles and clothing, not even a phone or radio, doing all of these things at once. One thing I never did though, was ski back country when avalanche risk was high.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
How did this come about? I would like to see the full report, but until then my suspicion is skiing back country when avalanche risk was high. I've been extremely reckless in my younger days, skiing where I shouldn't have been skiing, skiing terrain beyond my abilities, skiing at ludricrous speed, skiing back country alone no gear other than skis boots, poles and clothing, not even a phone or radio, doing all of these things at once. One thing I never did though, was ski back country when avalanche risk was high.

I'd wait for a full report before making any presumptions or judgements. This was an Avy level 2 class. Which means participants are expected to have 35+ days of logged bc travel before participating (ie. with forecast, trip plans, observations, etc all recorded in a book.) Plus a level 1. Plus guided by staff from one of the most experienced avalanche schools in America.

Comparisons of what you did in your extremely reckless younger days are probably misplaced.

And for the record, the day of the incident the forecast was "Moderate" at all elevations in the forecast zone. In Colorado, it very rarely goes belows moderate between December and April. Thats a 2 out of 5 on the scale. The following day, with additional snow, it was "Considerable" (3 out of 5.) It was never "High" (4 out of 5) around the time of this incident.

Interestingly, the avalanche problem for the day was persistent slab, on all aspects except SW and S. The avalanche in question was on a S aspect.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure I agree with this "all the times you got lucky" thing. As sometimes you actually do make good decision and nothing happened because of that good decision. But on the other side, especially considering there's never, and I mean NEVER, 100% safe terrain from avalanches, unless there's no snow of course, you can also consider this as luck. As even with all the right decisions, you can still be unlucky and get hurt. So maybe you are actually right.

He wasn't saying that every time you were safe you got lucky. He was saying that there are bound to be some times when you just got lucky, but you don't know whether you did or not. And you might just assume that you made good decisions, rather than got lucky.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
Seems like an excellent report with an attempt to educate rather than just say what happened.

Sponsor

Staff online