• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was planning to buy an Orange Fox gate drill this season to replace my existing heavy duty one. The reduced weight of the Orange drill bit is significant and also enables longer battery life on the hill. They are not inexpensive however and i just got my weekly email form Reliable Racing offering some very good deals on the ALU SPEED LIGHT ICE AUGER 32MM BY FISCH® drill bits

These are also pretty light and should perform similarly to the Orange bits. However none of our coaches have any experience with these (lots of experience with the Orange) so I was wondering if any of you coaches out there have used the Alu Speed bits. Thanks!

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
No significant experience, but I want one. I've noticed several people transitioning to them. They're light and cut well. My only concern is whether they build up ice like the old bits, but I guess you could spray with with McLube and that should take care of the problem. The big thing that I've noticed is they spin true. Last year at least half of the new orange bits got sent back because they weren't straight. There are two differences I've noticed and I think which is better depends on how you use it. The Orange bits are designed to eject snow from the hole. You don't have to pull the bit out to eject snow, just get it spinning and drive it in the snow. The blue bits are more of a traditional design and don't eject snow well. However, the tip is designed to go into ice. You don't have to have get the drill spinning before you put it in the snow. You can decide where to put the hole, then turn on the drill. If you are indecisive about where to put the hole, you'll notice the difference. Also, the blue bits are designed for ice and go through it much faster, where the orange bits tend to skate a bit before getting through the ice. I haven't used the blue bits enough to comment on battery life, but if weight is similar, battery life should be too.

So, if you are using it on ice (watered, injected), go blue. If you are mostly in softer snow, go orange (if they can get their quality control back up). If you are in shallow snow often (less than a bit depth), they orange tips have five sides and are easily replaced. The blue tips have two sides and are $55. Personally, if someone gave be an orange bit, I would be happy with it, as long as it is straight. If I had to buy one I would buy blue. Depending on how much I work with masters, I may buy a blue bit because I hate the old heavy ones (they use 32mm SPM, we have 41mm BAW). Also, FWIW, the orange bits do break. The shank only goes in a couple inches, then it's just the plastic. I would expect the blue bits to hold up better long term, but I have nothing to back that up.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
No significant experience, but I want one. I've noticed several people transitioning to them. They're light and cut well. My only concern is whether they build up ice like the old bits, but I guess you could spray with with McLube and that should take care of the problem. The big thing that I've noticed is they spin true. Last year at least half of the new orange bits got sent back because they weren't straight. There are two differences I've noticed and I think which is better depends on how you use it. The Orange bits are designed to eject snow from the hole. You don't have to pull the bit out to eject snow, just get it spinning and drive it in the snow. The blue bits are more of a traditional design and don't eject snow well. However, the tip is designed to go into ice. You don't have to have get the drill spinning before you put it in the snow. You can decide where to put the hole, then turn on the drill. If you are indecisive about where to put the hole, you'll notice the difference. Also, the blue bits are designed for ice and go through it much faster, where the orange bits tend to skate a bit before getting through the ice. I haven't used the blue bits enough to comment on battery life, but if weight is similar, battery life should be too.

So, if you are using it on ice (watered, injected), go blue. If you are mostly in softer snow, go orange (if they can get their quality control back up). If you are in shallow snow often (less than a bit depth), they orange tips have five sides and are easily replaced. The blue tips have two sides and are $55. Personally, if someone gave be an orange bit, I would be happy with it, as long as it is straight. If I had to buy one I would buy blue. Depending on how much I work with masters, I may buy a blue bit because I hate the old heavy ones (they use 32mm SPM, we have 41mm BAW). Also, FWIW, the orange bits do break. The shank only goes in a couple inches, then it's just the plastic. I would expect the blue bits to hold up better long term, but I have nothing to back that up.
I just returned from a glacier week. When we got down to the core ice the Orange was very challenging to use to say the least. Hardly anything happens and you have to pound it down into the hole repeatedly. One day we had a bit softer ice because of warmer conditions and then one of my coach colleagues managed to get the drill stuck and this is not fun with Orange because if you use violence to get it out it will break.

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks guys! appreciated. Did a little more investigation, the "Alu speed light" seems to be a new model this year

https://www.reliableracing.com/detail.cfm?edp=11545118

No replaceable tips on this one. Interestingly though it is billed as "ultralight" with a weight of 21 oz...but the regular Alu speed with the replaceable tips shows as....14 oz.....:huh:

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks guys! appreciated. Did a little more investigation, the "Alu speed light" seems to be a new model this year

https://www.reliableracing.com/detail.cfm?edp=11545118

No replaceable tips on this one. Interestingly though it is billed as "ultralight" with a weight of 21 oz...but the regular Alu speed with the replaceable tips shows as....14 oz.....:huh:
So, "Fixed tungsten carbide insert with locking pin" means you cannot replace it? (english is not my native language)

Angel Fire

USSA Coach
Skier
Purchased the 42 mm / half inch Alu Seed Light Ice Auger (Blue) last season. Previously had a normal steel version. (Well I assume steel, I inherited it.)

1st, I would recommend the Alu Speed shank, it is a quality shank. On the shank I purchased, you can replace the carbide tip.

2nd, Used 5 days a week on snow that tends to go through the freeze/thaw process daily. (Angel Fire, NM)

The first impression was the quality of the shank. When I spun it up it did not have the wobble of the previous shank. Actually I did not realize the previous shank wobbled until I spun up the new Blue Alu shank.

Drilling felt like it was going through butter. No pounding and moving it around in a circle. Again because of the freeze / thaw cycle, I tend to drill through layers of ice.

Battery life was well improved. Though I do plan to move to a 5amp drill for the longer life on those extra long days.

Hope that helps...
Michael
USSA Coach

I was planning to buy an Orange Fox gate drill this season to replace my existing heavy duty one. The reduced weight of the Orange drill bit is significant and also enables longer battery life on the hill. They are not inexpensive however and i just got my weekly email form Reliable Racing offering some very good deals on the ALU SPEED LIGHT ICE AUGER 32MM BY FISCH® drill bits

These are also pretty light and should perform similarly to the Orange bits. However none of our coaches have any experience with these (lots of experience with the Orange) so I was wondering if any of you coaches out there have used the Alu Speed bits. Thanks!

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I'm in the same predicament as Scotskier; all set to order the orange fox and found out about the FISCH one. The fixed tip is about $50 less than orange fox but the replaceable tip is about the same as the orange.

Fixed
upload_2017-10-28_8-49-47.jpeg

Replaceable
upload_2017-10-28_8-52-22.jpeg

The replacement tips aren't cheap either - $50.Though it does look like they can be sharpened and flipped around.

As stated, the shaft should be stronger than Orange Fox, but the split tip doesn't allow hammer drilling (not that I was planning that).

I'm wondering how secure the replacement tips are. The fix tip claims it is pinned and won't come lose to include hammer drilling.

Final question - I was planning on ordering the 41mm Orange Fox, so I can order the split tip in 3/8" 40mm or 1/2" 42mm. I'm leaning towards the 40mm. I mostly just set brushes and stubbies but do set gates now and again. Any recommendations? My thoughts are it is easier to ream the hole wider than make it skinnier.

Thanks,
Ken

L&AirC

Skier
Nevermind. Figured it out. 1/2" 42mm. I'm going to order the replacement tip one.

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Ken, yes, we are looking at the same ones. I think I will go with the fixed top version. What bases are you using that needs a 41mm? We are 32mm SPM

L&AirC

Skier
Thanks Ken, yes, we are looking at the same ones. I think I will go with the fixed top version. What bases are you using that needs a 41mm? We are 32mm SPM

All our gates have brush bottoms. The recommended size for them is 42.

L&AirC

Skier
Came in the mail today. Props to Reliable Racing for processing so quick.

The drill appears well made and come in a case. The case is thin but will keep the drill from cutting things in my pack. The replacement tips are sharp and the bit is noticeably longer.

Almost looking forward to setting gates ogsmile

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am looking for a bit of these dimensions to used a couple of times just to put our flag up. Does anyone know of any alternatives that are not over $100.00?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January