• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trip Reports Chicago road trip (summer)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
This summer we're hitting the road to Chicago. It's always been a dream of mine to eat my way through the windy city, hit the field museum, etc. Neither of us have ever been.

It's around a 12 hour drive from NWCT. Seems farther but waze ya now. I'd like to stop somewhere along the way to break the trip up plus maybe sight see here and there.

Maybe an overnight in Philadelphia because I love Philly. Not sure whats to see in Western PA after that?

I was thinking the rock n roll hall of fame in Cleveland?

Maybe Philly on the way there and Rock n roll hall of fame on the way back?

Welcome any other ideas.

Thinking July or so. I've a friend who lives in Chicago who suggested we stay in Evanston whiz has easy train access to the city?

Thoughts welcome!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife did the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and a Guardians baseball game a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

I used to go to Pittsburgh for work a lot. It's about an hour closer to CT than Cleveland, depending on how long you want to drive your first day. They have a good zoo (one meeting ended early so we all went in our business suits for a couple hours before the airport). The inclined railway is amusing, but it's a short ride.

In Chicago they have a good aquarium, the Field museum, and river/lake boat rides. One of the cool things about Chicago is how much lakefront they have -- not just the loop, but lots of more affordable neighborhoods. There is a great lakefront walking/biking park that goes for miles, going by several public beaches. We didn't have time to do it, but there are rental kayaks, with or without an associated tour.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Chicago is a fantastic city - particularly in the summer. Unless you are averse to driving into the city, or you can find a much better/cheaper place to stay in Evanston, I'd suggest staying in the city. The train ride is not too bad (45-60 minutes), but if the goal/point of the trip is to enjoy the city and its restaurants, bars, museums, etc. you'll be much better off actually staying in the city. Following up a great dinner with an hour on the train is not my idea of relaxing evening, but I also understand why some people might feel more comfortable staying outside of the city. As for other suggestions, the architecture river tour on Wendella is touristy, but also well worth it for a first time visitor.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Sounds great. I'm fine with some touristy stuff.

I'm fine with driving in a city. It's really parking fees at the hotel I'm trying to avoid which i figurd would be astronomical.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hotel parking will not be cheap - I'd expect somewhere around $50-$75 per day. Sometimes you can get a room package that includes parking at a discounted rate.

The Field Museum is great and I highly recommend. The Art Institute is also worth a stop. They have some very famous paintings, i.e., American Gothic, Nighthawks, Van Goughs, Monets, A Sunday on La Grande Jatte (pointillism is very interesting to see up close). The Shedd Aquarium is also well worth a visit. The Pacific Northwest Oceanarium is unique (and a nice place to cool off on a hot summer day).

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh, and I just saw that this is in the Pugcycle section. As @mdf posted above, Chicago has a fantastic lakefront path. If I remember correctly, it stretches around 20 miles. It almost reaches Evanston on the northside and stretches down to at least the Museum of Science and Industry / Hyde Park on the southside. Plenty of places to rent bikes along the path, or Chicago has a bike share system called Divvy.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome any other ideas.
Have you been to Niagara Falls? Probably not exactly on the way, but no more of a detour than Philly would be. Maybe Philly one way, Niagara the other.

I spent a bunch of time in Cleveland for work awhile back. Not a ton going on there, but worth a day or maybe two. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is pretty sweet. I also saw a baseball game when I was there...super cheap tickets, fun time. Cleveland and the surrounding areas had a surprising number of really good restaurants. I went back in my Google Map pins...Momocho (which was a "modern Mexican" restaurant) and Sterle's Country House were the stand outs...unfortunately, it looks like Sterle's is now closed :( .

Since you mention eating your way through Chicago, I'll pass on this website, which lists pretty much every restaurant that has been on a TV show (e.g. Diners Drive Ins and Dives): www.tvfoodmaps.com. When traveling, I've found some pretty amazing places using it.

I've been to Pittsburg a couple times, haven't done too many "touristy" things there though...all work trips. Mt. Washington is a nice area to walk around, with some good restaurants and amazing views of the city. The Hofbrauhaus is pretty sweet, a good representation of the traditional German beer hall...gets real rowdy on their "college night" haha. Then of course, they're known for their sports, which July is more limited with UPitt, Steelers, & Penguins all out of season but catching a Pirates game is a good time (and similar to Cleveland, super cheap tickets...especially if you're used to New England and NY teams).

In Pennsylvania...I've never been but visiting Hershey could be a good stop too.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's always been a dream of mine to eat my way...
If you are heading down to Philly, Harolds Deli in Edison NJ for the pastrami. South Philly for roast pork/ broccoli Rabe sandwiches. Western PA, I hear the "Rothlesburger" in Pittsburgh is worth trying. I did hit the White Castle in Akron, but that is an aquired taste.

On the way back come up through Rochester for the Dinosour BBQ, best cornbread I have had. Wings in Buffalo. As you are coming accross NY, it you are baseball fan, the Hall of Fame is a must if you have not been there.

applecart

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm in Chicago. I recommend staying in Oak Park. it's just west of the city and has both Metra commuter rail and the Blue and Green line into the city. You could find an air bnb. It's got a hoppin' downtown, is walkable, lots of places to eat, and the Frank Lloyd Wright museum. There's an app called Spot Hero that I use when I go downtown for parking. Lots of very cheap rates.

applecart

Getting on the lift
Skier
Also, don't come during the car race (Nascar? Formula 1) the museum area is almost inaccessible. Taste of Chicago is in July.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
NY Times article today on "The 25 Best Chicago Restaurants Now". I think it's a great list: it reflects the diversity of Chicago cuisine and price points. But I'd definitely change the title to "25 Great Chicago Restaurants Now" and not necessarily the "Best".

The 25 Best Chicago Restaurants Now

Chicago.png

I am gob-smacked impressed with the Akahoshi Ramen place listed in that article----but know that reservations are hard to get and the line for walk-in spots stretch down the block. Also, I think Poochies (in Skokie) serves up a better Chicago dog than SuperDawg...

If you're a baseball fan, don't pass up an opportunity to catch a Cubs game at Wrigley Field. The venerable park is right at the Addison stop on the L's Red Line.

And if you're a jazz fan, Chicago has great jazz clubs! Google The Green Mill,, or Jazz Showcase, Winter's Jazz Club, Le Piano, Constellation or (in Evanston) Space.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Lots of great suggestions here. Thank you to everyone. We're talking about Niagra falls but want to go via the canadian side so that'll be it's own trip next summer perhaps. I also love Philly but it's closer to where we are so I want to get across more of PA before we stop so that's why I thought pittsburgh would be good. My family loves Philly, had a great long weeknd there with them last summer so we'll do that trip again for sure.

One of my favorite local bands is playing at Magic on 6/29 so we'll head up there on saturday to watch Beast Mode and then leave for chicago the next day

Leave June 30th - drive to Pittsburgh, stay at a local Marriot and visit the zoo/acquarium

Leave for Chicago July 1st and get there in the afternoon sometime.

We're staying on Huron at a Home2Suites hotel not far from the water, about 3/4 mile from the FIeld Museum

Plan to go to Field Museum, take a big bus tour and eat/drink... Deep dish pizza is on the menu. I'm not a fan generally but when in Rome, maybe I'll like it more being there.

I read that navy pier has fireworks in the summer so maybe we'll get lucky and get to see that.

There's a mafia tour I'd like to do but Michael doens't have any interest so we'll see.

Checking out July 5th and driving back stopping at rock and roll hall of fame/staying overnight at a local hotel

I've a friend who works at a brewery I like in Bethlehem, PA (outside of Philly) so might stop there on our way

Plan is to come home Saturday, July 6th.

Next trip after that will be to Maine for a long weekend the weekend after labor day. We're staying not far from Lake Darramascotta so an easy long weekend trip for us (Friday to Monday)

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Frank Lloyd Wright home studio in Oak Park (someone already mentioned above). Highly recommended taking the tour. There are several houses in Oak Park designed by him, great to walk around to see those houses after the tour.
Ravinia Festival, an outdoor music venue in summer, similar to Tanglewood, Aspen music festival. Can consider attending a concert performance if it fits your schedule. You can take the train or drive there.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Deep dish pizza is on the menu. I'm not a fan generally but when in Rome, maybe I'll like it more being there.
Deep dish does not exist outside of Chicago. I’ve been to a number of places that claim to serve Chicago style deep dish. None have come remotely close. Also get a Chicago style hotdog at Portillos on Ontario.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Deep dish does not exist outside of Chicago. I’ve been to a number of places that claim to serve Chicago style deep dish. None have come remotely close. Also get a Chicago style hotdog at Portillos on Ontario.

I used to work with an attorney in California who was from Chicago. He would periodically drag us to this Italian restaurant as they had Chicago deep dish there. Owner was from Chicago. I didn't care for it as it was too thick and one slice would fill me up. We'd all usually get something else much to my friends chagrin. That aside I would love to try it again and will try to keep an open mind.

Thanks for the hot dog place, will definitely put that on the list.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Chicago is a fantastic city - particularly in the summer. Unless you are averse to driving into the city, or you can find a much better/cheaper place to stay in Evanston, I'd suggest staying in the city. The train ride is not too bad (45-60 minutes), but if the goal/point of the trip is to enjoy the city and its restaurants, bars, museums, etc. you'll be much better off actually staying in the city. Following up a great dinner with an hour on the train is not my idea of relaxing evening, but I also understand why some people might feel more comfortable staying outside of the city. As for other suggestions, the architecture river tour on Wendella is touristy, but also well worth it for a first time visitor.
+1 as far as an architecture riverboat tour. Don't know about Wendella. I've done Chicago Architecture Center River Cruise twice!. Yes it's touristy, but it's informative and beautiful on a summer (spring or fall) day.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I didn't care for it as it was too thick
That’s what they always get wrong outside of Chicago. The crust on authentic deep dish is not thick, it’s just in a deep pan. I’ve been to a few places in NYC that have the same story - owner/chef is from Chicago and claims to serve the real deal. Sadly, none have been right so if I want Chicago style pizza, I have a frozen pie or two shipped to me. Lou Malnati’s is my go to, but it’s grown exponentially in the last 20 years. Used to be a much smaller, mostly locals place, but not any more. Geno’s is also good - just a slightly different crust. The pizza at Uno’s isn’t bad, but it’s always mobbed with tourists, so I avoid it. Key tip - don’t be surprised when they ask for your order before you get a table. The pizzas take 45 mins to cook, so if there is a wait, they get them going while you’re still waiting to sit.

Another Chicago staple is Garrett’s popcorn - particularly the Chicago mix of cheese and carmel corn. If you can manage to get in, Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co between Old Town and Lincoln Park is great. They make pizza pot pies that are fantastic and very unique. But it’s usually packed.

You can have a great time eating your way through Chicago for a couple of days. The low end options like pizza, hotdogs, and Italian beef are fantastic. But Chicago also has plenty of amazing high end options as well. One of my favorite cities.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
That’s what they always get wrong outside of Chicago. The crust on authentic deep dish is not thick, it’s just in a deep pan. I’ve been to a few places in NYC that have the same story - owner/chef is from Chicago and claims to serve the real deal. Sadly, none have been right so if I want Chicago style pizza, I have a frozen pie or two shipped to me. Lou Malnati’s is my go to, but it’s grown exponentially in the last 20 years. Used to be a much smaller, mostly locals place, but not any more. Geno’s is also good - just a slightly different crust. The pizza at Uno’s isn’t bad, but it’s always mobbed with tourists, so I avoid it. Key tip - don’t be surprised when they ask for your order before you get a table. The pizzas take 45 mins to cook, so if there is a wait, they get them going while you’re still waiting to sit.

Another Chicago staple is Garrett’s popcorn - particularly the Chicago mix of cheese and carmel corn. If you can manage to get in, Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co between Old Town and Lincoln Park is great. They make pizza pot pies that are fantastic and very unique. But it’s usually packed.

You can have a great time eating your way through Chicago for a couple of days. The low end options like pizza, hotdogs, and Italian beef are fantastic. But Chicago also has plenty of amazing high end options as well. One of my favorite cities.

Thanks. I'll do my best to check them all out. One of my friends has gone there for business and her meals have looked amazing so I know they have so much great food outside of pizza.

Before our trip I'm going to go through this thread and put the names/suggestions into my phone. Going to try to do a mix of low end and high end eating. Plus a lot of walking so that I don't gain 100lbs lol

James

Out There
Instructor
See the WW2 German U boat at the Museum of Science and Industry. Its capture off Africa was top secret in 1944. Towed all the way to Bermuda and then painted and disguised as a US sub. The Navy wanted to sink it for target practice in the 50’s, but a campaign was started to save it.

Sponsor

Staff online