• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cheap portable tuning table recommedation?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Garbage bag over whatever flat surface you can find.
the last time we had to tune on vacation, we found that plastic shower curtains are cheaper than painters drop cloths. Use cooking pots under the tip and tail to hold the bindings off the table.

edit - and placemats or potholders under the pots so you don't mar the table finish.
Or just stay somewhere with junky furniture.

Last edited:

twomartinis

He who makes no mistakes makes no progress ~T.R.
Skier
My first version was a Workmate
Everyone needs a Workmate! Every man, woman and child.
Can be had for cheap at yard sales, craigslist, etc.
'tis true

Having a permanent bench and the right tools is a game changer. Skip the wobbly folding benches and the vises.
^^^ This guy gets it.

and get some f-clamps to anchor your rig to something fixed: door/casing, newel post, black lab, etc. Having a sturdy rig is a game changer.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just set up my portable unit based on a Kobalt brand folding saw horse. Not really travel friendly, but easy to fold up and put out of the way when not needed. Not shown are 2x4s that I attach at either end to reduce the tendency to see-saw the other end if I put enough downward pressure on it. The sawhorse is $50, top is a 1x6 attached with carriage bolts (holes are already in the top of the sawhorse). It's fairly heavy so pretty stable, even without the "outriggers".
When I use it, I just lay a plastic dropcloth on the floor to catch metal and wax shavings

Attachments

• 20221220_151035_resized.jpg
    20221220_151035_resized.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 42
TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
To finish this off. Got the KUU from @EricG - great price. Ski vises clamped right on and was surprisingly sturdy. Need to scrape of some storage wax. Not sure how trips we will get this year - couple things going on, but will likely pass it down as we won’t be in the apartment forever

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Came here as I'm going to have to start doing some tuning myself. Our local store is closing this fall. I kept all the tuning stuff DH had, but I need a table. Going to look at the Princess Auto table. I just want to be able to put it away when not needed. Should never have moved to a condo. No garage, no storage, no ski room. DH had quite the set up in the garage in the house we owned. I just couldn't keep the house together after he died. So moved to a condo. Lots of thinking before I buy anything again. Garage, storage etc.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Came here as I'm going to have to start doing some tuning myself. Our local store is closing this fall. I kept all the tuning stuff DH had, but I need a table. Going to look at the Princess Auto table. I just want to be able to put it away when not needed. Should never have moved to a condo. No garage, no storage, no ski room. DH had quite the set up in the garage in the house we owned. I just couldn't keep the house together after he died. So moved to a condo. Lots of thinking before I buy anything again.
A folding table from Target or Walmart works surprisingly well.
GUEST_c62a3083-36bc-4515-a520-06d3744a508d

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A folding table is my solution for using my power edger outside (vs my main bench in the basement). On my 3 week trip last year, I needed a bench and couldn't find anything to improvise with. (In the past I've used a 2x4 between two ladders.) So I went to Walmart and bought a folding table and a tarp for around $40, which I'm hoping is stil in the AirBnB's garage when I return.

Table differ in the pattern of the underside and what is near the lip. My table at home is flat near the edge and "just works" but the one on the road had an inconvenient pattern of dips and ridges. I found the metal lids from glass jars worked very well as shims to spread the load and get good clamping.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Find the sturdiest folding table you can at yard sales. Good to have anyways.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anybody need a narrow table. Costco has them 2 pack!
Buy the two pack, put the second one in the closet, it won't take up much room and you have it he need a side table for an event or something ... or sell it down the road. At a point, your time shopping and lamenting cost more than just getting it done.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
A folding table is my solution for using my power edger outside (vs my main bench in the basement).
You gotta get a permanent bench. You can't be setting up a portable bench every time you work, especially when you work outside. You need to eliminate all the wasted motion so that you can finish the job before your hands get cold. I put brackets made from 2X4 scraps on the rail around my deck, or you could make sawhorses that live out in the weather for the winter. The first winter I worked outside I spent more time setting up my Workmate than I did working my skis. That was miserable. With my current set up I can sharpen 2 pairs in 15 minutes, and that includes some inside time finding the right playlist for my bluetooth speaker and getting my toolbox out and putting it away.

dm

Sponsor

Staff online