• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Changing lightbulbs in cathedral ceiling fans

Kevin should...

• Hire someone to change his light bulb

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Hire someone to change the fixture so he can change his own light bulb in the future

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Buy a bigger ladder so he can change the lightbulb safely

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Buy scaffolding. He'll probably need it for other projects anyway

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Call Jersey Skier's wife to get a referal

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That fan looks really nice. Great upgrade for your home.
Now, if I could convince @Philpug that we need a new fan.
Yep! New fan was installed on Tuesday.

The electrician had come out earlier for an estimate, measured the ceiling (18 feet) and said he'd need a 14' ladder... And then he came out on Tuesday with a 12' ladder which he made work, but admitted that it was "quite unsafe". Why didn't you bring the 14' ladder like you originally thought you'd need then? Whatever. Glad he didn't go "splat".

This new fan moves some serious air; I never felt a breeze from the old one, but the new one sure produces a breeze.

The fan light by itself does a "meh" job of illuminating the room, but coupled with the floor lamp, it's fine.

View attachment 141305

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Or maybe even when he comes home and it's already installed...
Well, I did install the ceiling fan in the guest bedroom.
However, the same desire to perform tasks at heights that inspired me to hire my window washing out to a pro would likely inspire me to hire someone to do this. Also a reason that we won't likey change it any time soon.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That fan looks really nice. Great upgrade for your home.
Now, if I could convince @Philpug that we need a new fan.

Next time he goes on a business trip have a new fan installed. When he gets home tell him you wanted to get him a gift to aid in his relaxing at home.

James

Out There
Instructor
Are you British?

(And agreed on the sticks... what are you buying @KevinF ? :) )
Comes in handy sometimes.
No, I would’ve said “A and E”, but most Brits know we view that as a cable channel and it’s never used here.
Worse is “surgery” to refer to the doctor’s office.
“Engineer” to refer to a mechanic kind of makes sense, but what do they use for our person with an engineering degree?

Surprised no one has a fan with some sort of projection device on the floor. Compicated or simple - at least for entertaining the cat. Instead of using the laser sight on a gun and having it go off into someone.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Using engineer in Ontario when you're not an actual engineer is an issue... Every one in a while the is some ugliness around this...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I didn't read the rest of the posts; apologies.

Just last week we had two ceiling fans and one chandelier replaced in lofted ceilings. The chandelier in particular is in a 20' entryway; very narrow. It took me a while to find a handyman willing to take on the job. We've done ceiling fans, but my guy doesn't like heights, and my shoulders suck, and dang it this is what money is for.

Anyway, it took them like all day, but they charged a flat fee, totaling about 2/3 the price of the actual fans and lights. Clearly they were learning some stuff, but it was well worth it to me to pay 20-somethings to spend 6+ hours learning that stuff at the top of ladders with their arms in the air. (I do think that I'm going to buy something like their nifty standing ladder that converts to extension, because that thing was awesome - and yeah, I'd be willing to swap bulbs, I think.) Electricians weren't interested because there wasn't any wiring to do, just install (but see thread I'm about to start).

James

Out There
Instructor
Rent one and the person to use it safely.
09C01700-78B8-4026-ADCA-147C261FBC6F.jpeg

Or you can go full scissor, but they weigh at least twice as much, 1500-2000lbs, instead of 700-900lbs.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Comes in handy sometimes.

“Engineer” to refer to a mechanic kind of makes sense, but what do they use for our person with an engineering degree?

that has always been a bone of contention for professional engineers in the UK! Trust me I know it well having endured it for so long!. In general the UK tends to think of an engineer as some sort of mechanical technician or a guy who can fix your TV! This perception was also partly responsible for salaries for professional Engineers being consistently well below those for other recognized professions. The closest thing to the US PE is Chartered Engineer (C. Eng.) in the UK which is similar in terms of education and accreditation. There are also various levels of membership status in the Professional Engineering institutes - typically Associate, Member, Fellow in ascending hierarchy -although most of the public would not have a clue what you were talking about. (full disclosure, I am actually a C.Eng and Fellow of IET although it is a looong time since I have been in any technical role)

And of course in the old saying....

"Six munce ago I couldn't even spell ingeneer, now I is one" :ogbiggrin:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Frankly, engineering is kind of a crap profession, and that's my background. There is a lot of liability and the salary is not really commensurate with the length of education and liability. Having said that, if you're an engineer type person, you know it and there's nothing that can stop you from doing it.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Frankly, engineering is kind of a crap profession, and that's my background. There is a lot of liability and the salary is not really commensurate with the length of education and liability. Having said that, if you're an engineer type person, you know it and there's nothing that can stop you from doing it.

yeah there is a reason I'm not a techie!! Commercial roles and M&A and consulting has been much more rewarding - both financially and professionally! Having said which, an engineering education can also give you a great grounding for other things

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like you guys are using "engineer" very specifically for mechanical/civil.

As a computer engineer, I'd say in my experience it's a much more general term for anyone with an engineering degree - electrical, mechanical, civil, industrial, chemical, bio/bio-medical, computer, materials, etc. If I tell someone I'm an engineer, they're likely to say "what kind?"

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
And my job description was "software engineer" for a long time, but people who got "real" engineering degrees tend to scoff.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like you guys are using "engineer" very specifically for mechanical/civil.

As a computer engineer, I'd say in my experience it's a much more general term for anyone with an engineering degree - electrical, mechanical, civil, industrial, chemical, bio/bio-medical, computer, materials, etc. If I tell someone I'm an engineer, they're likely to say "what kind?"

definitely not!, mechanical/civil are the bottom rungs are they not? :popcorn: I am EEE originally, sort of the pinnacle IMHO... :ogbiggrin:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
And my job description was "software engineer" for a long time, but people who got "real" engineering degrees tend to scoff.

How about me? I'm an Audio Engineer.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

Yep, software engineer / computer science.

“Real” engineers say it’s not engineering and “real” scientists say it’s not science.

I usually describe my profession as “software engineer”.

Spam16v

Zac
Skier

Link will only last a day, it’s an Instagram story.

Sponsor

Staff online