• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Chamonix

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Same. Drink it when you like. No disrespect to Italians, but it’s definitely in the ridiculous arbitrary rule category.
Agreed. But there are lots of cultural norms like that. Some people I know think is wrong to have pancakes for dinner. Seems fine to me, but it's not much different than the cappuccino thing I don't think.

Reactions: BMC

James

Out There
Instructor
Agreed. But there are lots of cultural norms like that. Some people I know think is wrong to have pancakes for dinner. Seems fine to me, but it's not much different than the cappuccino thing I don't think.
Heh, I sometimes have cereal with milk for desert. Some think it’s nuts. It’s kind of deconstructed ice cream anyway.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Heh, I sometimes have cereal with milk for desert. Some think it’s nuts. It’s kind of deconstructed ice cream anyway.
I assume you mean something like Froot Loops, and not, say, Special K or Meusli?

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
It is always interesting to see how long it takes for a perfectly good thread to get totally sidetracked:huh:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Just needs some discussion of how you can't get a decent sandwich with miracle whip in France yet McDos is their favourite food outlet.

Plus no Superbiggulps. What up with that? ( I brought a 32oz travel mug back with me from the US and found that the cup holder sizing is bigger than Euro cupholders)

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On flight now headed home. Last day was a soaker. Pouring down rain, most of the lifts and runs closed because of rain, makes the snow heavy which increases risk of avalanch. Ski instructors were prepared, long rain coats that dropped below their knees and rubber gloves. My gloves were soaked, I never skied in rain like that. My gortex duck hunting gloves would have worked great. I took my gloves off, I could not get them back on they were so wet. I skied a few hours and called it quits.

Never skied Vallee Blanche, just means I need to come back, which I plan to do. I did have a concern I was not skilled enough for it and I told the guide office that. They recommenced a private lesson first so ski instructor could assess if I'm ready, which I did. First run instructor said I’m more than ready, he made it sound like there was nothing for me to worry about, other than that first hike down the ridge.

First tip I would give is learn the bus system, which I never completely figured out. Someone should do a YouTube on that, I could not find one. Know your bus stations closest to your hotel, this will come in handy when you are trying to get back and not sure which bus to take and bus driver says “what bus station?” My station was “Chamonix Centre”

IMG_9418.jpeg

This is Strava 3D, from my hotel “Park Hotel Suisse” to my bus station, Ski14 to Plan Praz gondola…

IMG_9273.jpeg

Pics from under Cornu lift, a couple nice shoots under that lift thru the cliffs

IMG_9253.jpeg

IMG_9252.jpeg

Strava below, skied with my daughter Brevent in the morning (Ski14), she had enough, so I took Ski15 to La Tour from my station (Chamonix Centre) and Ski2 back. Ski2 I could take back to my station, but going Ski15 is the only option, so the routes are not symmetrical.

IMG_9435.png
Below ski map of La Tour with a few pics…

IMG_9299.jpeg

Pic below top of Les Autannes lift looking down Chamonix Valley

IMG_9303.jpeg

Same spot looking at a L’Aiguillette lift..this whole area is open.

IMG_9305.jpeg

This area below, looks like where they learn to paraglide…

IMG_9437.jpeg

Looks like fun…

IMG_9337.jpeg IMG_9341.jpeg

Looked like someone getting a lesson here, instructor following…

IMG_9340.jpeg

Pic below to of L’Aiguilletteis looking into the La Tour bowl…

IMG_9353.jpeg

Same spot looking at Grands Montets..red circle is top of old cable car

IMG_9361.jpeg IMG_9438.jpeg

This is looking at Grands Montets from Flegera, red circle is top of old cable car.

IMG_9441.jpeg

IMG_9211.jpeg

Zooming in on top of old cable car (top) and TS Retour Pendant lift (bottom left)…

IMG_9221.jpeg

Zoom in on top of old cable car…

IMG_9234.jpeg

And that big rock bottom left, pretty sure the center of it is the glacier cave I skied down from I talked about earlier in the thread with the pics from 40 years ago (pic below).

IMG_9442.jpeg

When I skied Grands Montets this trip, it was white out at the top, visibility bad. So it was nice to get a look at it from La Tour and Flegera.

Attachments

• IMG_9421.jpeg
    IMG_9421.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9299.jpeg
    IMG_9299.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9305.jpeg
    IMG_9305.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9441.jpeg
    IMG_9441.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9226.jpeg
    IMG_9226.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9234.jpeg
    IMG_9234.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
First run instructor said I’m more than ready, he made it sound like there was nothing for me to worry about, other than that first hike down the ridge.
Yep, you’re more than ready.
It’s better if you can get say 3-4 people together and get your own guide. Group guides can be all over the place in terms of what you get for attention.

The last time I did it one of my demo bindings slid on the track during the hike strapped to the pack. I couldn’t get into the ski. Just when I figured out what happened, the guide comes over and insists on moving the wrong part of the binding. I can’t remember which, but he moved the toe instead of the heel let’s say. I tried to tell him but he wouldn’t listen and then there’s no time.

So I ended up skiing with one ski at like + 3-4 cm and the other on the line.

Reactions: Tex
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As soon as I got off the plane, I gotta big ol whiff of American!!

IMG_9443.jpeg

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
On flight now headed home. Last day was a soaker. Pouring down rain, most of the lifts and runs closed because of rain, makes the snow heavy which increases risk of avalanch. Ski instructors were prepared, long rain coats that dropped below their knees and rubber gloves. My gloves were soaked, I never skied in rain like that. My gortex duck hunting gloves would have worked great. I took my gloves off, I could not get them back on they were so wet. I skied a few hours and called it quits.

Never skied Vallee Blanche, just means I need to come back, which I plan to do. I did have a concern I was not skilled enough for it and I told the guide office that. They recommenced a private lesson first so ski instructor could assess if I'm ready, which I did. First run instructor said I’m more than ready, he made it sound like there was nothing for me to worry about, other than that first hike down the ridge.

First tip I would give is learn the bus system, which I never completely figured out. Someone should do a YouTube on that, I could not find one. Know your bus stations closest to your hotel, this will come in handy when you are trying to get back and not sure which bus to take and bus driver says “what bus station?” My station was “Chamonix Centre”

View attachment 230167

This is Strava 3D, from my hotel “Park Hotel Suisse” to my bus station, Ski14 to Plan Praz gondola…

View attachment 230170

Pics from under Cornu lift, a couple nice shoots under that lift thru the cliffs

View attachment 230171

View attachment 230172

Strava below, skied with my daughter Brevent in the morning (Ski14), she had enough, so I took Ski15 to La Tour from my station (Chamonix Centre) and Ski2 back. Ski2 I could take back to my station, but going Ski15 is the only option, so the routes are not symmetrical.

View attachment 230173
Below ski map of La Tour with a few pics…

View attachment 230176

Pic below top of Les Autannes lift looking down Chamonix Valley

View attachment 230177

Same spot looking at a L’Aiguillette lift..this whole area is open.

View attachment 230178

This area below, looks like where they learn to paraglide…

View attachment 230179

Looks like fun…

View attachment 230180 View attachment 230181

Looked like someone getting a lesson here, instructor following…

View attachment 230182

Pic below to of L’Aiguilletteis looking into the La Tour bowl…

View attachment 230183

Same spot looking at Grands Montets..red circle is top of old cable car

View attachment 230184 View attachment 230185

This is looking at Grands Montets from Flegera, red circle is top of old cable car.

View attachment 230188

View attachment 230192

Zooming in on top of old cable car (top) and TS Retour Pendant lift (bottom left)…

View attachment 230193

Zoom in on top of old cable car…

View attachment 230199

And that big rock bottom left, pretty sure the center of it is the glacier cave I skied down from I talked about earlier in the thread with the pics from 40 years ago (pic below).

View attachment 230208

When I skied Grands Montets this trip, it was white out at the top, visibility bad. So it was nice to get a look at it from La Tour and Flegera.
Nice

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see ice in the glass but where is the giant coffee?
I normally drink coffee till noon, half strength. On ski days I drink about 4 cups before I head out and I’m done with coffee, drink water rest of day. I got to have my coffee every morning tho. 4 cups of that French coffee and I’m juiced up pretty good.

James

Out There
Instructor
Pfft you could have had an Americain from Poco Loco and got your frites inside the bun!
Ahh that’s what that place was called. Nah, he didn’t miss anything but waiting in line and sitting in a cramped area.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pfft you could have had an Americain from Poco Loco and got your frites inside the bun!
This place was always packed, looked like a local spot.

IMG_9263.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
He’s from Texas. Doesn’t need a burger the size of a cow patty in France.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What a strange combination of words.
Burger Crepes? I seen a lot of locals walking around eating those, grabbing them after work. It is a local spot. It was always packed, and always had a line.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It's also damn tasty burgers. Grab one and walk up towards the hockey arena and you're almost done with it by the time you get there. Then you can sit near the madman drummer and chant "Mmmm......Chamois!!" for a whole game. Microbrews in MBC after. Perfect evening.

Sponsor

Staff online