• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My app just updated to the Hintertux version. My SkiIQ went up a couple of points!

It's interesting to take a look at last weekend's runs for the new metrics. My early weight transfer, early forward movement and mid-turn balance scores are good. Progressive edge build and G force scores are just OK. If I was going to guess how these would look, that's probably about what I would have thought.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
My app just updated to the Hintertux version. My SkiIQ went up a couple of points!

It's interesting to take a look at last weekend's runs for the new metrics. My early weight transfer, early forward movement and mid-turn balance scores are good. Progressive edge build and G force scores are just OK. If I was going to guess how these would look, that's probably about what I would have thought.

What do you think of the new centripetal G force measurement? (IIRC that was mentioned as a new function in that CARV interview).

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
What do you think of the new centripetal G force measurement? (IIRC that was mentioned as a new function in that CARV interview).

Blog post on it-

the other items that @Wade mentioned are also new for this season. Especially Progressive Edge Build.

Both Progressive Edge Build & G-Force get their own monitor modes too.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Ted is now #1 on the worldwide leaderboard

Screenshot_20231214-150012~2.png

He's pulling 2.9g per the new metric-
Screenshot_20231214-150003~2.png

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Blog post on it-

the other items that @Wade mentioned are also new for this season. Especially Progressive Edge Build.

Both Progressive Edge Build & G-Force get their own monitor modes too.

Yeah - just wanted to hear what the real world thought of it.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Yeah - just wanted to hear what the real world thought of it.
Haven't used it yet, but it does now show up in my reprocessed data. Mine is pretty low. I think the highest I have is 1.6g. it will be interesting to use it in monitor mode and see what the different levels feel like (up to my personal max limit only of course).

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can’t really answer that yet. I haven’t skied with the new metrics, just looking at some of the scores and how I did in those categories on some of my past runs. The G Force monitor sounds like a fun thing to play around with on an empty slope though.

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
Question on the install. I just put them in some Head wcr 140s boots with the liquid fit liners and the fit afterwards was noticeably tighter, which I didn’t mind since I was trying to replicate the feel of my previous Intuition pro tongues, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed a before/ after effect. Probably the fact that I size down gives me less margin than someone not seeking a race type fit.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
The insole is 3mm thick so it will raise your foot by that amount. It was too tight in my RS130 boots, so I lowered my boot board by 2mm (not thick enough to feel 3mm was doable). Much better now.

If you choose to drop the boot board, realize that the shape of it is important to keep. You lower it by removing material from the top of the boot board, not the bottom.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok - so I need some feedback here - maybe should post this in the instruction forum. I finally hit 141 today - good enough to make me a mountain master - but I did it with a lot of short radius turns on my Brahmas (165 cm, 14 m turn radius, 88 underfoot). Attached are some of the metrics and sub metrics. Whenever I make longer radius turns, my ski IQ dips into the high 120’s. One of the prompts that I get on my longer radius turns to let my body cross over the skis early in the turn. It sounds like I don’t commit early enough in my longer radius turns. Does that make sense?
IMG_1453.jpeg
IMG_1453.jpeg
IMG_1450.png
IMG_1451.png
IMG_1452.png

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpeg
    IMG_1455.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 3

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Video would be helpful, but the tell is in your outside ski pressure, I suspect. I'll bet you are creating your edge angle through inclination without much, if any, angulation. And you are likely trying to score in you medium radius turns on a slope that is too flat. You need sufficient speed to allow you to create and use higher edge angles, which Carv craves.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
:snowball:

legit q / no flaming pls - has anything been done w the issues of fragility, privately I hear of ppl going thru 3-4 sets of insoles per season. This is why I didn’t re-new for the season, too much drama w the system.

tia

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor

legit q / no flaming pls - has anything been done w the issues of fragility, privately I hear of ppl going thru 3-4 sets of insoles per season. This is why I didn’t re-new for the season, too much drama w the system.

tia
I have a rats nest of dead insoles. That being said, the current set has probably 60 days on it which would be close to a record...

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

tia
I assume they’ve continued to learn lessons from hardware issues and improved the predict in the same way as they’ve learned and improved on the software side.

Anecdotally, mine have maybe 35 days on them with no issues and no signs of wear - they aren’t permanently installed in my boots and I get in and out of my shells racer style in my Zipfits, so I assume I’m hard on them relative to most users. I haven’t seen many hardware durability complaints in the Facebook group either.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I have a rats nest of dead insoles. That being said, the current set has probably 60 days on it which would be close to a record...
LMAO….

I have one set of boots that still have insoles in em, but no membership. I just keep em so when clients want a hi $core, I plug in their trackers & take a lap.

I still own the domains SkiwithaGrimRipper.com & CarvePerformance Institute.com is anyone wants to make en off. May have to float those on the FB group.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Video would be helpful, but the tell is in your outside ski pressure, I suspect. I'll bet you are creating your edge angle through inclination without much, if any, angulation. And you are likely trying to score in you medium radius turns on a slope that is too flat. You need sufficient speed to allow you to create and use higher edge angles, which Carv craves.
Thanks for responding - Yes, I will try to get some video in a few weeks at Breckenridge, but I suspect you are right — and I just found 5 pages on inclination and angulation in this thread! - https://www.skitalk.com/threads/definition-of-angulation-and-inclination.8043/page-5

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you taking a lesson at Breck? It would help...
I usually take some lessons at Breck - with level 3s - they put me in level 9 - I ski the entire mountain in all snow conditions - trees, bumps, high alpine, with real proficiency- just don’t develop high edge angles on groomed terrain - for the reasons you have stated. Most of the instructors I ski with don’t try to ”mess with me too much” - I have over 60 years of skiing ingrained in me and have adapted my skiing to the technology changes over the years - but still have trouble with being a “banana” or scrunching the tennis ball with my hip. Intuitively, I know what I need to do - but my muscle memory takes over. Maybe I will work on it this year - now that I know I can hit 141 fairly regularly and have a better understanding of angulation.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I usually take some lessons at Breck - with level 3s - they put me in level 9 - I ski the entire mountain in all snow conditions - trees, bumps, high alpine, with real proficiency- just don’t develop high edge angles on groomed terrain - for the reasons you have stated. Most of the instructors I ski with don’t try to ”mess with me too much” - I have over 60 years of skiing ingrained in me and have adapted my skiing to the technology changes over the years - but still have trouble with being a “banana” or scrunching the tennis ball with my hip. Intuitively, I know what I need to do - but my muscle memory takes over. Maybe I will work on it this year - now that I know I can hit 141 fairly regularly and have a better understanding of angulation.
You and I both -- almost 64 years for me. Still, it is possible to learn some new movement patterns and to ski the whole mountain with flow, not just proficiency. It isn't about skiing like a banana, or scrunching with a tennis ball at your hip, but it is about finding the lateral movement of the body to direct pressure to the outside ski. Who do you ski with at Breck? @Nancy Hummel, @Rich McP and I all used to teach there. Not all Level 3s are equal...

Sponsor

Staff online