• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carpooling and parking safety concerns

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Be careful what you ask for. I'm pretty sure the experience of A-Basin will be diminished if they add capacity of parking or mass transit to the point where the lifts or the runs are overcrowded. The ski areas on Mt Hood where I ski are limited in parking and I like it that way. The lots get full, they turn people away and the lifts and runs are not crowded. I don't want them to increase the crowds on the hill, I'd rather the crowd be limited to the parking area.

We already see it after other resorts close and they start shuttling people from Keystone and there are people parked illegally both up and down highway 6 from Abasin. IMHO I think there’s a balance. Most of the time I think Abasin could handle a few more than it’s lots currently can, especially with the expanded terrain so adding a reasonable size lot then cutting off when that is full makes sense to me.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sometimes more parking isn't feasible based on limitations in the National Forest. Stevens has horrendous parking (they keep a separate, dedicated twitter account just for parking updates), and parking along the highway is illegal, but they've had a lot of issues getting parking approved.

It's a lot easier to expand terrain - adding a few lift lines and a patrol shack generally doesn't have much of an impact on erosion, water drainage, animal habitats, etc, but it takes a lot more engineers and surveyors to build out a parking plan that gets FS approvals to build.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
3 or more is realistic...4 or more? Not sure.

Unless u have one of these...

images.jpeg

:D:D:D

Sponsor

Staff online