• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carbon fiber frame questions

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I... Respectfully... Suggest.... You don't do that. :) these days wheels at that level are pretty well prepared from the factory. I'd work with your shop to sort out the wheels.

Given Tony's amusement with the thought and your advice I think I'll just let them do it. Thanks for the suggestion.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Given Tony's amusement with the thought and your advice I think I'll just let them do it. Thanks for the suggestion.
:thumb: With normal wheels, you have usually 32 spokes and it's easier for the average person to work with them. The tensions are lower, more spokes to adjust things. The newer wheels, especially the 20-24 hole wheels, have very high tension, which means it's very hard to actually turn the nipples. And the adjustments have a greater effect on the wheel. God speed Architect!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When I was a teen-ager my dad had a bike with a damaged wheel. I think the rim was trashed when a car carrier was mounted too low on the lift gate.

It wasn't a fancy bike - steel rims. The bike shop told him to just get a whole new wheel. This irked his depression-era sense of economy, since "that hub is still perfectly fine!"

So he read up on wheel building. At the time, of course, this meant going to the library and getting actual paper books and reading them.

"I can do this," he said. So he got a new rim and spokes and built up a new wheel. No issues, tight and true. Rode on it for the rest of his life.

He had comments along the lines of, "I don't know why they make such a big deal of that." What he failed either to understand or to admit was that he was a bit of a mechanical genius, and knew how to approach the project in just the right "go slow" way, that 99% of people would not have been able to manage.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
When I was a teen-ager my dad had a bike with a damaged wheel. I think the rim was trashed when a car carrier was mounted too low on the lift gate.

It wasn't a fancy bike - steel rims. The bike shop told him to just get a whole new wheel. This irked his depression-era sense of economy, since "that hub is still perfectly fine!"

So he read up on wheel building. At the time, of course, this meant going to the library and getting actual paper books and reading them.

"I can do this," he said. So he got a new rim and spokes and built up a new wheel. No issues, tight and true. Rode on it for the rest of his life.

He had comments along the lines of, "I don't know why they make such a big deal of that." What he failed either to understand or to admit was that he was a bit of a mechanical genius, and knew how to approach the project in just the right "go slow" way, that 99% of people would not have been able to manage.

I take nothing away from your story by noting that the best way to learn to true a wheel is to ...build up a new wheel.

scott43

Skier

It's not rocket science, but there is nuance and care required. Stress relieving, proper lace hole alignment, even tension, tightening sequence. It can take practice. And the margin for error is a little lower with less spokes.

scott43

Skier
This is how I learned 40 years ago...
1692389380392.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
which means it's very hard to actually turn the nipples

Spokey spoke wrench FTW. Accept no substitute!

It's not rocket science, but there is nuance and care required.

Respectfully, wheel building is simple, requiring a bit of reading, adhering to a few basics, AND DON'T HURRY, EVER!

That said, I let a friend that builds them for a living do mine these days. Why fight the flow?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I think today with very low spoke counts it's harder.
That's the problem! I mean, MY problem.

I've been riding for decades. Keeping my wheels true had always been a no-brainer. But at some point, the new wheels that came with my bikes were having fewer and fewer spokes. And keeping the wheels true got harder and harder.

I thought I was losing my "touch" in bike maintenance. But it slowly dawn on me newer bikes have lower tolerance to imperfection. 12 speed chains, 12-16 spoke wheels, tubeless tires, hydraulic disc brakes...

(my new candidate to join the stable will have all of the above. I loth to think I may have to do what my clubmates do: drop off the bike at the shop and wait for a couple weeks -- because the shops were "busy")

Last edited:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This accident occurred at 15 miles an hour…
Imagine a 30 mph descent. Do with this info what you will but Boeing isn’t making these bikes, The “ best/newest/ material in the world is only as good as the person assembling it and with this material the defects are hidden. C2BD359E-1A24-46E8-97E1-B09E92114F96.jpeg 9C204B19-BA9E-4145-BC8F-37C50D07CE38.jpeg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This accident occurred at 15 miles an hour…
Imagine a 30 mph descent. Do with this info what you will but Boeing isn’t making these bikes, The “ best/newest/ material in the world is only as good as the person assembling it and with this material the defects are hidden. View attachment 218127 View attachment 218126

The motherf*ckers will get away with it tho. Always can claim there had been previous damage to the bike prior to the accident that lead to the failure and this poor dude can do nothing to prove this wasnt the case.

scott43

Skier
The motherf*ckers will get away with it tho. Always can claim there had been previous damage to the bike prior to the accident that lead to the failure and this poor dude can do nothing to prove this wasnt the case.
I believe giant admitted fault. To be clear, giant is a huge serious mfg of bike stuff. This isn't dude in his basement or some sketch Chinese dirt floor deal.. sometimes QC fails.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I believe giant admitted fault. To be clear, giant is a huge serious mfg of bike stuff. This isn't dude in his basement or some sketch Chinese dirt floor deal.. sometimes QC fails.
Does the article mention what years and models?

scott43

Skier
Does the article mention what years and models?
I think it mentioned the Propel model but nothing more. And likely they'll figure out if it's a systemic issue or a one off. It's tricky with CF as compared to something like steel.

Sponsor

Staff online