• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Buy near home or at mountain

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m considering getting properly fit for boots for this season, and am weighing pros and cons of getting them near my home in So Cal (seems to be a place in LA with a solid reputation) or waiting til I’m in CO. Not having to spend some of my vacation time in the shop is appealing, but then again I was thinking that getting them while on an extended trip gives me the ability to make changes on the fly if needed rather than having to wait until I’m home to deal with any issues. Anyone else have input on this?

Thanks.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
I’m considering getting properly fit for boots for this season, and am weighing pros and cons of getting them near my home in So Cal (seems to be a place in LA with a solid reputation) or waiting til I’m in CO. Not having to spend some of my vacation time in the shop is appealing, but then again I was thinking that getting them while on an extended trip gives me the ability to make changes on the fly if needed rather than having to wait until I’m home to deal with any issues. Anyone else have input on this?

Thanks.

Please visit Claude at ski net sports

And break your boots in locally before you go on a road trip.

Claude knows his stuff and it's best to get it done soon while he has the best inventory

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Thanks.

Honestly its hard to get boots dialed without testing them. Its best to get fit at the mountain, go for a few runs (or a lot!) and make adjustments as needed.

TS
ChrisFromOC

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
If I go local, it would be Claude. We have a trip just after Christmas to Breckenridge and I’ve taken two of my girls to Racer’s Edge with great results, so maybe time for me to give it a shot.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At the mountai works..if that is the mountain you will be skiing regularly. I would trust @Near Nyquist's confirmation that Claude is good. I would start there and explain that you will be going to Coloardo for your first trip. Explain that you want the boots "slope ready" what mean by that is, sometimes bootfitting can be a back and forth process, tweak...ski...tweak..ski, baby steps. Some people are fine with that, in your case you do not have that luxury, you will need the boot 95+% when leaving the store, going in, if he knows that he should be able to accommodate you.

TS
ChrisFromOC

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
At the mountai works..if that is the mountain you will be skiing regularly. I would trust @Near Nyquist's confirmation that Claude is good. I would start there and explain that you will be going to Coloardo for your first trip. Explain that you want the boots "slope ready" what mean by that is, sometimes bootfitting can be a back and forth process, tweak...ski...tweak..ski, baby steps. Some people are fine with that, in your case you do not have that luxury, you will need the boot 95+% when leaving the store, going in, if he knows that he should be able to accommodate you.

Well, I figured that would be no “right” answer to this. Claude is up in LA which is not the easiest place for me to get if I may need multiple visits. I get to Breckenridge a few times a year, and our trip over the holidays is for a week so getting to A Racer’s Edge is quite doable too. And the kicker is that I have really bad feet and toes before I even squish them into my boots.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The best place is at the mountain because you can try out any adjustments right away, but where ever you buy them, you need to be able to bring them back to the original seller. If you buy in town and try to get the mountain shop to fix them (or vice versa), they'll just tell you that you bought the wrong boots. I get mine at a small mountain near my house, which is the best solution.

dm

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The best place is at the mountain because you can try out any adjustments right away, but where ever you buy them, you need to be able to bring them back to the original seller. If you buy in town and try to get the mountain shop to fix them (or vice versa), they'll just tell you that you bought the wrong boots. I get mine at a small mountain near my house, which is the best solution.

dm
Quoted for truth! You are far better served if ONE boot fitter is responsible for the entire works.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I figured that would be no “right” answer to this. Claude is up in LA which is not the easiest place for me to get if I may need multiple visits. I get to Breckenridge a few times a year, and our trip over the holidays is for a week so getting to A Racer’s Edge is quite doable too. And the kicker is that I have really bad feet and toes before I even squish them into my boots.
So, it is basically an inconvenience either way since neither are close. I would then go back track and say Racers Edge since you can go ski from there and you will be there pretty regularly...are have an excuse to get there pretty regularly...Honey, I got to get some work done on my boots...need me to pick up anything while I'm out, maybe a growler from Broken Compass? see you in a week or so...

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January