• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Budget video cameras in 2020?

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm looking for a video camera for a club program (read: budget-limited). The leading contenders based on browsing Amazon seems to be the Sony HDRCX405 () or the Canon Vixia HF R800 (). I can't find anything else name-brand without getting into the $1,000 price range, and while I'd love 4K resolution (ideally at 60 fps), I don't think it's worth a threefold price increase.

The Sony only charges via a built-in USB cable, which is a significant drawback (I've had to replace those on similar cameras in the past), but otherwise looks solid. The Canon marketing materials focus so much on the "Advanced Zoom" it's hard to be sure what the actual optical zoom is. Both are form factor that allow being put in a small protective case in a backpack and then tucked into a pocket when in actual use, which in my experience tends to be pretty ideal (as long as you don't forget there's a camera in your pocket and chuck the jacket towards a chair).

Any comments on the two above or a recommendation for something I didn't find? A no-name 4K camera with an actual optical zoom is something I'd definitely consider with a trustworthy review, but most of the listings I saw were digital-zoom only.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Links are broken.

One bit of advice: get an extra battery or 2.

TS
S

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is typical for Amazon links, like I complained to @Dwight about in this thread:

Oddly, I'm getting properly rendered Amazon banners for those items. I'm not sufficiently familiar with Amazon's linking to be sure if it's got a referral id appended, though.

And yes, extra batteries are a good idea, although not as necessary as they used to be. With most of the more-recent cameras I've used, as long as you charge it overnight, you can get far more video on that charge than I'd ever want to keyword and upload in one night.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in the same position looking for a video camera. However, i would very strongly advise getting one with a viewfinder if you want useable video. Trying to focus and zoom in and out using the small screen is in my experience a total waste of time. We actually have couple like that in one the programs I coach and i have given up using them as worthless. The other program I coach we have advent video camera with viewfinder and the results are exponentially more valuable.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm looking for a video camera for a club program (read: budget-limited). The leading contenders based on browsing Amazon seems to be the Sony HDRCX405 () or the Canon Vixia HF R800 (). I can't find anything else name-brand without getting into the $1,000 price range, and while I'd love 4K resolution (ideally at 60 fps), I don't think it's worth a threefold price increase.

The Sony only charges via a built-in USB cable, which is a significant drawback (I've had to replace those on similar cameras in the past), but otherwise looks solid. The Canon marketing materials focus so much on the "Advanced Zoom" it's hard to be sure what the actual optical zoom is. Both are form factor that allow being put in a small protective case in a backpack and then tucked into a pocket when in actual use, which in my experience tends to be pretty ideal (as long as you don't forget there's a camera in your pocket and chuck the jacket towards a chair).

Any comments on the two above or a recommendation for something I didn't find? A no-name 4K camera with an actual optical zoom is something I'd definitely consider with a trustworthy review, but most of the listings I saw were digital-zoom only.

What is your intended use? On the hill for Video Analysis?

TS
S

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm in the same position looking for a video camera. However, i would very strongly advise getting one with a viewfinder if you want useable video. Trying to focus and zoom in and out using the small screen is in my experience a total waste of time. We actually have couple like that in one the programs I coach and i have given up using them as worthless. The other program I coach we have advent video camera with viewfinder and the results are exponentially more valuable.
I'd love to find one with a proper viewfinder as well, but it seems rather unlikely in this price range.

I've used similar cameras in the past and been able to manage good video despite the lack of a viewfinder; the biggest advantage to a viewfinder, IMO, is being able to see what's going on with the skiing as you video. I hate getting the "coach, what the hell happened to me up there?" question and having to say "We'll have to look at the video later, all I could tell is that you were suddenly sliding on your butt."

One of the other coaches I work with has mastered the art of shooting from hip level; it seems weird at first, but it usually puts you at a better angle on the screen to avoid it getting washed out on a bright day.

TS
S

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
What is your intended use? On the hill for Video Analysis?
Yes. Primarily for upload for athletes to review later (due to Covid concerns, it doesn't look like we'll be doing any in-person video this year), with gate-fault review in slalom an important secondary use. So being able to slow-mo playback (and ideally go frame-by-frame) is important.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
Sony AX 43 or 53
Panasonic HC vx 1k

These are 4k camcorders under $1000 that I am waiting for a holiday season sale.
At this price range, the view finder would be disappointed even if they come with it.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yes. Primarily for upload for athletes to review later (due to Covid concerns, it doesn't look like we'll be doing any in-person video this year), with gate-fault review in slalom an important secondary use. So being able to slow-mo playback (and ideally go frame-by-frame) is important.

Ok. That is good to know also do not discount the file recording options (video codecs) because that will affect speed of upload / processing and workflow.

TS
S

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok. That is good to know also do not discount the file recording options (video codecs) because that will affect speed of upload / processing and workflow.
That's a fair point. I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure both cameras I linked have Mac-friendly codec options. My general workflow is a little more nerdy than the coaches who will be using the other camera—I pull the files to the computer, rename with the athlete's name, and then strip out the audio from the entire batch with a command-line tool—so I don't have to watch the computer while they process. Hopefully having upgraded to fiber will pay off in the actual upload, too.

TS
S

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sony AX 43 or 53
Panasonic HC vx 1k

These are 4k camcorders under $1000 that I am waiting for a holiday season sale.
At this price range, the view finder would be disappointed even if they come with it.
Between two $300-ish cameras at 1920p and one $800 camera at 4K, our budget and needs point to the former.

knobby

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I had a small Canon similar to the R800 and if you can live without having a view finder and you don't need to shoot video from too far away, it should be fine. For what it's worth, I upgraded to the Sony AX53 and can share some observations if you do consider spending a little more. First, it's physically way bigger so that can be a challenge to carry around in a pocket but the option of going between 4k and 60 fps is nice. I think I settled on shooting 4k@30fps over HD@60fps but it's been awhile since I used it. A mixed blessing with the AX53 is the optical image stabilization. The lens floats in the housing and unfortunately, if you move to quickly, the lens will rock back and forth. The quality is much better overall but it's still not great for long distance shooting - the quality won't be great if you're at the bottom of a course shooting up to the start of a GS race.

TS
S

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a small Canon similar to the R800 and if you can live without having a view finder and you don't need to shoot video from too far away, it should be fine. For what it's worth, I upgraded to the Sony AX53 and can share some observations if you do consider spending a little more. ...

Thanks. At the end of the day, I've been lead to believe that we can probably manage two cheap cameras or one more expensive one. From a utility standpoint, I'd much rather have a camera assigned to our group rather than have to deal with "do you need it this morning? Have you downloaded your files so I can clear the card?"

I forget which model it was, but one of the full-time coaches I worked with last year had a larger-form-factor camera and it was substantially easier to handle when using it, but it took up a lot more space when not in use (and didn't fit comfortably in a pocket). It actually had a good viewfinder, which I found hugely helpful for actually being able to watch the skiing while videoing it, but budgetary realities and all...

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
i just pulled the trigger on a panasonic lumix FZ300 based on a lot of other coaches recommendations so will see how it works out. Does 4k video and available at just under $400 at the moment

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
i just pulled the trigger on a panasonic lumix FZ300 based on a lot of other coaches recommendations so will see how it works out. Does 4k video and available at just under $400 at the moment
we had a couple of these at my old club. They were pretty good (no complaints on my end), I had no idea how much they cost. Pretty good camera, IMO, especially for that price.

Sponsor

Staff online