• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Not exactly. The rate-sensitive damping material is sensitive to the frequency of the inputs it receives. Renoun also told me that it is sensitive to the amplitude of the inputs. The long-chain molecules slide around easily when the frequency of the input vibration is low. As the frequency increases...the chatter gets faster...the molecules lock instead of slide, i. e., the damping rate increases. And as the amplitude increases...the "size" of the knocks it's receiving...the more the damping increases.

"You can mix it yourself with easy to obtain ingredients........."
Can anyone else currently do this: "D3O’s material scientists carefully tune polymer blends to achieve specific properties to the final application such as temperature stability, abrasion resistance or flexibility."
https://www.d3o.com/what-is-d3o/materials/

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not exactly. The rate-sensitive damping material is sensitive to the frequency of the inputs it receives. Renoun also told me that it is sensitive to the amplitude of the inputs. The long-chain molecules slide around easily when the frequency of the input vibration is low. As the frequency increases...the chatter gets faster...the molecules lock instead of slide, i. e., the damping rate increases. And as the amplitude increases...the "size" of the knocks it's receiving...the more the damping increases.

"You can mix it yourself with easy to obtain ingredients........."
Can anyone else currently do this: "D3O’s material scientists carefully tune polymer blends to achieve specific properties to the final application such as temperature stability, abrasion resistance or flexibility."
https://www.d3o.com/what-is-d3o/materials/
There’s a few ways to get there. (Making a non Newtonian material)

Basically he has patented the use of this material as used in Ski construction. It’s a design patent, not a patent on the material unless he patented the exact formula used in the manufacturing of his material as well (note I did not read the whole patent). Which would normally be a patent unto itself. What I saw as I scanned through it was the use of a non Newtonian material in the manufacturing of a Ski. If patent law is as I remember it being from my younger years, that gives him 15 years of exclusivity.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I am not and never have been a racer. But it seems to me that something that bends relatively easily, but becomes stiffer and stiffer the deeper it is bent, could have racing applications?
I'm not sure it changes the flex of the ski significantly. I think it is more of a vibration damper. I could be wrong. All I know is the skis feel different from other skis, even to a relative newby like me.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
One quick question - Does anybody know if Renoun is present in any of the skicamps in Europe (Sölden, Stubai etc.)? It sounds like a ski that i need to get on and spank a little. I am not sure i 100% understand the concept, but a material that get harder the more you push (if i got it right), sounds like the perfect material for a ski.
For those who have been on them: Are they really that good?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One quick question - Does anybody know if Renoun is present in any of the skicamps in Europe (Sölden, Stubai etc.)? It sounds like a ski that i need to get on and spank a little. I am not sure i 100% understand the concept, but a material that get harder the more you push (if i got it right), sounds like the perfect material for a ski.
Simply, Yes.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. It's not just the goo inside, it's the shape too. They just ski wonderfully. I am by no means a fantastic skier but I am better on Renouns than other skis I've been on. I've skied the Z-90's so that's what I'm referring to.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes. It's not just the goo inside, it's the shape too. They just ski wonderfully. I am by no means a fantastic skier but I am better on Renouns than other skis I've been on. I've skied the Z-90's so that's what I'm referring to.
They sound amazing to me, but can't wrap my head around a 98mm as an all mountain for the Alps - Hoping to see them somewhere in the alps this winter, and if really lucky to get on them!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They sound amazing to me, but can't wrap my head around a 98mm as an all mountain for the Alps - Hoping to see them somewhere in the alps this winter, and if really lucky to get on them!
The 98's are the Endurance. I haven't been on those. @Philpug, what do you say on the Endurance lineup?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 98's are the Endurance. I haven't been on those. @Philpug, what do you say on the Endurance lineup?
I like the Endurance 98...not love them...but not for the lacking of the ski, it is the shape. I prefer a little more shape at the extremities and a little less rise but with that said..for the inhernent design and the adition of the HDT, it is the ski the Kastle FX95HP wanted to be.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can mix it yourself with easy to obtain ingredients.........

Corn starch and water mixed, to the consistency of thick pancake batter. Roll into a ball.....release your hand, and it returns to a liquid state. Poke with your finger, and it reacts as a solid. Slowly lower your finger into it, and it behaves as a liquid.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I've skied the Alps twice, both times with thin snow off piste. The Z-77 or Z-90 would be the ski of choice there. My two trips didn't have enough snow to take a guided off piste trip. If there was deep snow the Endurance series would be the choice. Someone said that All Mountain means equally mediocre in all conditions. The Z series would excel on piste and be good off piste. Reverse that for the E series. I'm looking forward to trying the Z-90 in a month or so.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
An "easy" non Newtonian to make is corn starch and water. All sorts of interesting behaviors to observe.
A person can run across a swimming pool filled with the stuff. Just don't stop ;-)

DaveM

Putting on skis
Skier
neonorchid, thanks for the entertaining & educational video posting. The 50/50 (weight/weight) mixture of corn starch in water is well-known. That particular mixture is "Shear-thickening" or "Dilatant" as rheologists say - that is, when it's sheared or "worked", the viscosity increases. There are also YouTube videos out there showing similar experiments as the "Oobleck experiment", a fun thing to show kids. Strictly speaking, the dude in the above video was not walking on water, he was walking on a mixture containing water, as he "kind of" said. So, Renoun is using d3o, a class of materials developed by another company - and those materials are shear-thickening, as well. Yes, Shear-thickening/Dilatancy is a type of non-Newtonian behavior, as @CalG mentioned, above. Running across the mixture involves a high shear-rate, while slowly walking or immersing oneself in the mix is a low shear rate process. Lower shear rate results in a lower viscosity, so the person sinks in. Hey, as long as the Renoun skis let you enjoy skiing & ski well, that's really what matters, right! ...hmmm, what about end-of-season Pond Skimming on a shear-thickening mixture... :roflmao:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
After really stressing over my skis for the season, I made the call to pull the trigger on some Endurance 98's - despite what my closest ski pals advised.

In the summer & fall, I sold off about 10 sets of boards to make the conversation to GripWalk & was basically left with a new custom pair of Renoun 104s that @Cyrus Schenck was kind enough to set me up with as my only alpine skis:

img_1836-jpg.33343

ATs, my beauties & wife's FIS GS boards.

Talking to Cyrus, I set them up at -1cm to have more of a tips up/hauling charger. I was really impressed with the Renoun support in sorting out where / what to mount on the 104's.

After testing a bunch of skis at Mount Hood & even turning down paid skis, I recalled demoing the Renouns plus @Guy in Shorts passion for the E98 as a fellow Killington ripper. It was simple, 104 at -1 & 98 at 0 both with GripWalk / Jester 16 ID's = DONE / PROBLEMS SOLVED!

Now most of my friends say that 98 / 104 is too close, but the differences in mounts plus the Renoun capacity to absorb undulations- it's a perfect quiver!

IMG_1034.PNG

Sponsor