• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brake retainers for tuning

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I use toe straps from bicycle pedals..
This is the best idea! (except for co-mingling ski parts and bike parts)
Back when I had toe straps on my bike pedals, I didn't imagine a future where I had to worry about obstacles hanging below/sticking above the bases when waxing, I just had to scrape the excess wax out of the center groove.

I have a bunch of loops of parachute cord for ski-brake ties. Going shopping for something that can be made in my garage in 15 seconds? I wouldn't have thought of that.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use bands cut from tire inner tube, they last forever and can often be obtained for free from tire shops.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Buy some wax and throw a bag of retainers in the cart. Mine are blue.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Velcro straps work great -- adjustable length and easy to apply.

velcro-strap.jpg

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've tried the rubber bands from grocery store as well as the green Wintersteiger ones. Either kind seems to eventually snap and fly across the basement.

Several seasons ago I purchased a dozen of these FK brake retainers from Tognar. They work well and haven't yet snapped.

I love these too. It's nice to have the plastic piece to hold and use to stretch the band out, and the band will never break.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I started some tuning for the season this weekend and found the rubber bands I use for brake retainers are pretty much at the end of their lives.

I need to order some more but I can’t find what size and thickness I bought last time. What is the best size to order?
They are basically giant rubber bands.

Sponsor

Staff online