• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brake retainers for tuning

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I started some tuning for the season this weekend and found the rubber bands I use for brake retainers are pretty much at the end of their lives.

I need to order some more but I can’t find what size and thickness I bought last time. What is the best size to order?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I also like the bands that come on Marker bindings. If you have a local shop, aski them to save you some.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also like the bands that come on Marker bindings. If you have a local shop, aski them to save you some.
I save(d) most of them….good to have when our rubber bands went missing. Had/have a huge bucket of them.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use bands cut from a bicycle inner tube looped together. Seem to last forever.

Some people use the rubber bands that come with broccoli, but that would require you buy, and maybe even eat, broccoli. Who wants to do that? :huh:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I started some tuning for the season this weekend and found the rubber bands I use for brake retainers are pretty much at the end of their lives.

I need to order some more but I can’t find what size and thickness I bought last time. What is the best size to order?

Cut some 2.2 inner tubes.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I use bands cut from a bicycle inner tube looped together. Seem to last forever.

Some people use the rubber bands that come with broccoli, but that would require you buy, and maybe even eat, broccoli. Who wants to do that? :huh:
Me, every night. Love fresh broccoli. Always have plenty of ski brake retainers.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to use rubber bands doubled up. I'd get a package of 100 or so of the stoutest ones at Staples or Office Depot. They'd work fine, but too often one of the doubled up bands would break like an 18 wheeler blowing out one of the rear trailer tires. Sooo, I finally stopped being so penny-wise and ordered some real brake retainer bands and I have never looked back. They simply last and last and last. No more untimely, deviant snaps of a broken band across my fingers. And, they actually hold the brakes up higher.

These are Wintersteiger

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
or loop some cable ties...

Yup. Infallible, though Grump's rubber bands are also acceptable, save for the occasional exciting blowout.

Sooo, I finally stopped being so penny-wise and ordered some real brake retainer bands and I have never looked back.

These are Wintersteiger

Those make me think the local produce guy started a side business selling broccoli rubber bands.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
These work pretty well too -- stout bendable wires covered in rubber

cf15b192-126b-4c6b-9436-c80c3bee4795.jpg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. Infallible, though Grump's rubber bands are also acceptable, save for the occasional exciting blowout.

Those make me think the local produce guy started a side business selling broccoli rubber bands.

They are much stouter than broccoli bands.

PMorenus

Booting up
Skier
I've tried the rubber bands from grocery store as well as the green Wintersteiger ones. Either kind seems to eventually snap and fly across the basement.

Several seasons ago I purchased a dozen of these FK brake retainers from Tognar. They work well and haven't yet snapped.

Sponsor

Staff online