• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bow leg, hypermobile collapsing arch boot fitting.

imaginarydave

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It's like I have the trifecta! Here's some non boot related context. I'm 45 and can put my foot behind my head and I do nothing in life that increases flexibility. I have searched the forum and interwebs

The past:
I have 8 yr old Solomon imax 120 boots. Had then fit. I have Have custom footbeds, new intuition liners 4 yrs ago. Everytime ive had a boot fit the malleolus on the inside of my ankle is hammered non stop until I get thing "fixed" which has always meant bumping the boot. Theyve Still never felt right making me think the fix was not right.

The current:
I'm a 44 yr old Type 3 skier. The amount of ankle roll and general work in both my ankles, knees and hips when trying to set my edges is significant. Our home mountain is winter park so bumps are the normal and that much work setting the edges makes bumps harder. I ski liberty origin 96s

The future.
I'm looking to start over and need advice.
1. General boot fit advice for my combination of issues so I am well informed. Cant correction, ramp angle adjustments, different footbeds. Boot stiffness.
2. Suggestions for a top notch boot fitter in Colorado. I've been to a few - one highly regarded place put heal wedges in which did not work well and I took out. I later learned was not the right thing to do for me. Preferably from someone who has dealt with similar issues.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
welcome to ski talk, now you are going to get a lot of got see a boot fitter type answers, and being honest it is the best answer anyone can give you, all you have told anyone is you have bow legs and a hypermobile foot, nothing there is going to guide anyone towards the correct boot for you, without having your feet in my hands so to speak it is impossible to direct you to the right boot footbed, level of modification canting or indeed anything. now not being a local of your area it is always hard to get the geography correct, but my go to boot fitters would be either Jack Rafferty at Snowmass or Jim Lindsay (wherever he is) these guys are top level, but remember their boot fit can only be as good as your feedback when they are fitting the boot, any fitter can guide you to the right product but it has to be a 2 way conversation

if this is something that you are planning to do now, consider that it is getting towards the end of the season, so stock may or may not be available in the best option for you, we are seeing a few folks now and we don't have an optimum boot so we send them away, most accept this fact but yesterday i had a client angry that they had driven an hour to see us (they are really local) and we didn't have the appropriate boot, why didn't i tell her.... simply because i didn't know i didn't have it until i had seen her feet

sort out a consult with one of the guys above, go in with an open mind and the attitude that if the right boot is available great, if not wait till next season

TS
I

imaginarydave

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
welcome to ski talk, now you are going to get a lot of got see a boot fitter type answers, and being honest it is the best answer anyone can give you, all you have told anyone is you have bow legs and a hypermobile foot, nothing there is going to guide anyone towards the correct boot for you, without having your feet in my hands so to speak it is impossible to direct you to the right boot footbed, level of modification canting or indeed anything. now not being a local of your area it is always hard to get the geography correct, but my go to boot fitters would be either Jack Rafferty at Snowmass or Jim Lindsay (wherever he is) these guys are top level, but remember their boot fit can only be as good as your feedback when they are fitting the boot, any fitter can guide you to the right product but it has to be a 2 way conversation

if this is something that you are planning to do now, consider that it is getting towards the end of the season, so stock may or may not be available in the best option for you, we are seeing a few folks now and we don't have an optimum boot so we send them away, most accept this fact but yesterday i had a client angry that they had driven an hour to see us (they are really local) and we didn't have the appropriate boot, why didn't i tell her.... simply because i didn't know i didn't have it until i had seen her feet

sort out a consult with one of the guys above, go in with an open mind and the attitude that if the right boot is available great, if not wait till next season
I appreciate the feedback. I dont actually intend to get boots until next spring, and my full intention in asking was to find a bootfitter that would really know what they are doing. I have seen boot fitters and I just dont think they got it right. I would like to find someone closer to the front range (summit county would be fine) as I pretty much never go all the way out to snowmass or aspen and I want to be able to do follow up, but I am trying to find someone and do my homework before crunch time.

I just finished two full days of spring sking in mixed condition crud. it was a blast but I am wiped out. :D I am not sure what other feedback anyone has. I can make these observations. when in an athletic skiing stance. my chins are pushing out on my boots and naturally want to press the ski's onto the outside edges (not flat). all the pressure is on the outside edge of my foot in this stance too. I have to really torque my ankles and knees inward to get the weight onto my inside edge and toward the ball of my foot. its to the point where they are really sore after a few days. It's always been this way and I had just kind of adapted to it after so many trips to the boot fitters but I feel like it could be better. I think I would know more now about what i should feel than I did last time around. I ski about 15-20 days a year. this year only got about 12 in.

thanks again for the feedback. I know these types are questions are impossible to fully answer.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe you need to see a boot-fitter who is also a pedorthist? I'm sure there are bootfitters that have just as much insight, but someone with the additional pedorthist training may be especially equipped to to help you in fabricating the best footbed and helping with alignment.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I’m bow legged. And I also have one foot which the arch collapses.

Except I didn’t know any of it. I just had trouble doing drills properly. Foot beds helped somewhat but not quite, not even close. I didn’t know it, my ski on the side with foot issue? It wasn’t flat on the snow when I was cruising. So I catch edge at the smallest imperfection of snow…

I lucked out with the Foot Foundation guys in Aspen. One wedge (full length of the foot) took care of the collapsing arch issue AND the skis staying flat on snow when I‘m between turns.

Don’t know if it’s just luck. But I‘m fully convinced that’s the right solution, for me that is.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
I hate to say this but …..

Get your boots in the Fall when inventory is strongest

Jim Lindsay - BootTech Aspen Highlands

Jack Rafferty- Thotics Aspen Snowmass

These are the Colorado guys I trust as a fellow bootfitter

Period ….

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
I appreciate the feedback. I dont actually intend to get boots until next spring, and my full intention in asking was to find a bootfitter that would really know what they are doing. I have seen boot fitters and I just dont think they got it right. I would like to find someone closer to the front range (summit county would be fine) as I pretty much never go all the way out to snowmass or aspen and I want to be able to do follow up, but I am trying to find someone and do my homework before crunch time.

I just finished two full days of spring sking in mixed condition crud. it was a blast but I am wiped out. :D I am not sure what other feedback anyone has. I can make these observations. when in an athletic skiing stance. my chins are pushing out on my boots and naturally want to press the ski's onto the outside edges (not flat). all the pressure is on the outside edge of my foot in this stance too. I have to really torque my ankles and knees inward to get the weight onto my inside edge and toward the ball of my foot. its to the point where they are really sore after a few days. It's always been this way and I had just kind of adapted to it after so many trips to the boot fitters but I feel like it could be better. I think I would know more now about what i should feel than I did last time around. I ski about 15-20 days a year. this year only got about 12 in.

thanks again for the feedback. I know these types are questions are impossible to fully answer.

then you have seen boot sellers or "average" boot fitters... don't wait till next spring, do it in the fall when the boot selection is at its best
what you are describing is a really common feeling and one that is resolved by following a basic fitting process, there is no magic sauce that anyone on a web forum boot fitter or not is going to be able to give you to fix your individual issues without first seeing your feet

1 assessment of ROM
2 correct shape size volume shell
3 footbed
4 cuff alignment
5 underboot canting IF NEEDED

if you want front range area then look up Paula Ryan

Sponsor

Staff online