• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Guys - Its been a long time since I've installed a set of boot heaters. But my wife would like a set for her Dabellos. I don't know much about what the best options are currently and where to find the best prices.

Can ya'll school me on the current quality options?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The latest trend for keeping the feet warm electrically is heated sock. Lenz, Hotronic and few others have products out there.
I don't feel they are quite there yet in terms of pricing and design. The old tried and true boot heaters still keep my feet warm.

Hotronic and Thermic are two of the popular brands. They are very similar in both concept and design. My family used Hotronic exclusively. Don't have any experience with Thermic.

Hotronic sells two different packages. The S3 & the S4. The are exactly the same with different sized batteries. The S3 uses a smaller battery.
Currently, the S3 can be found on the net for around $130. S4 for $190. Prices are much better in the summer.

Start Haus video on installation.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We just got the Sidas foot warming system in our ZipFits last week, we go the PRO version is that is a thing.
D316686F-9589-46B1-AC24-499C03EDF22B.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am happy with my Sidas footbed heaters. They have Lithium batteries, some other brands do and some don't

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I suggest for starters using neoprene Dryguy Bootgloves. They cost only about $35.00, they go over your boots, and they work about equally to the Hotronics footbed warmers, in my experience. Because I find the Hotronics footbed warmers to only partly work, I've been using both at the same time, bootgloves and footbed warmers - with good results.

I've used the s3 Hotronics in multiple boots, for the past four years or so. (I'm an older guy with poor circulation - previously I never needed them.) To me they are just so so, by themselves. Using only them, on really cold days my feet still get cold - maybe less cold, but cold. And my biggest problem with them is that on low volume, more race-type boots, they distort the feel and flex of the footbed, and my feet start to hurt. (With more freestyle boots, softer flex boots, and higher volume boots, this is less of a problem, I gather.)

I've found that folks with race boots or low volume boots often use the heated socks, without problems.
Both Lenz and Hotronics seem to work about equally, except Hotronics offers a second type, that wraps around the toes and heats both the top of the toes and the bottom. People I trust tell me that if you have enough space for the wrap-arounds in your toe box (and even many racers do), then this is the superior product - it really heats more effectively. Because I do not have that extra space, I'll be trying the heat from the bottom only socks, and hoping they are at least equal to the footbed versions. Along with my bootgloves.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Because I find the Hotronics footbed warmers to only partly work, I've been using both at the same time, bootgloves and footbed warmers - with good results.

I have always found that on the really cold days the neoprene Bootglove would allow me to stay out for an extra run before needing to come in vs not wearing anything over the boot. I have also found my Sidas footbed heaters to be way better than Bootgloves but the Sidas footbed heater is almost 10 times mores expensive than Bootglove.

OTOH the idea of wearing both boot heater and neoprene Bootglove sounds intriguing and would certainly help the batteries last longer as I find they sometimes don't quite last until last chair, but then again on the cold days neither do I.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My daughter has Sidas and reports they work well. I just installed Sidas in my antique boots, but only have one spring day on them. They're great for spring skiing. They're great for southern Ontario. I'm not so sure they would keep my toes toasty bell to bell in my race boots on a cold Sudbury day. Maybe I should look into an extra set of batteries? Time will tell.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
Personally, I start the day with a warm boot from my Kulkea Heated Trekker bag then I also use the Thermic Boot Heaters, the IC1200. I find this combination works well and keeps my feet from getting cold. I will remind that these really don't heat the boots but help neutralize the cold.
My son's G/F struggles with cold feet, uses the Hotronics, and reports the same thing - she has to start them in warm boots to keep the cold at bay. If she doesn't start them first and her feet get cold, the heaters won't bring them back on the hill; she has to go in, warm the boots, and start over.

My feet only suffer when it's really cold, like single digits f and below. Last year we had some days like that. I remember on one of those (-5f and windy), it was three runs and into the car to blast the heat on the toes (the lodge wasn't warm enough to do it, lol). I was one of only a few people dumb enough to ski that day but at that temp, the snow was amazing. One of my local shops had S3s on sale for $50 so I bought a set. Will give them a try. If they let me be comfortable or ski longer on those brutal days when I might not otherwise, I'm all for it.

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had always had cold feet and was looking at some of these heater options . One day I tried 2 socks (like we wore as kids), and it made a huge difference. I now wear two socks. 1 super thin sock (Smarwool Ultra Light) and 1 thin sock (Smartwool Light). I am comfortable all day long.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a type 1 diabetic and have circulation issues; my feet were always cold. I was planning to get a boot heat system when I got new boot last year; my bootfitter suggested I try heated socks. I bought the Lenz 1.0 slim fit heated socks and am very happy with the results. I have never run out of battery as long as they are fully charged. The batteries click into terminals in the sock and are folded over in the top of the socks, and they stay out of the way, so no special tricks needed to keep them from knocking out of place with chairlift issues, and no footbed modifications needed for wires. The wiring and heating elements are all encased in a panel running the length of the sock (underfoot from the toes to the back the sock). It takes about 5 minutes to get used the thickness underfoot, then you forget about it. You can control the heat with 3 settings on the batteries themselves, or with 10 settings on their smartphone app, which also displays percentage of battery life remaining (Bluetooth paired).

Plus, you can use them for hiking or for any other other activity for that matter.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Would people wearing these socks talk about how you keep them clean when you skiing a bunch of days in a row (say 6-8 days)? Do you hand wash and dry them every night? Will they dry easily? Do you buy 4 pair and do hand washing every other night? These heated socks are not cheap.

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
Anyone have thoughts comparing the Hotronics with Lenz heated socks?

I have the Sidas Pro in three sets of boots in my family. I did all the installs in a similar fashion to the video posted by Start Haus for race boots. Mine are installed in full custom footbeds in a race fit Lange RS130, and all I can say is if you do it right with the cover over the element, you might notice they're in the footbed when you first slide your foot in the boot, but it's so subtle you don't notice it after 10 seconds. And this is while wearing very thin socks. I wouldn't say it takes up any perceptible volume. The heat works great. Inside you can feel warmth when you first turn them on, but once outside for a little while, you don't notice warmth, you just don't get cold.

As for the socks, I looked into them as an option for the non racer in the family, because they're cheaper than the lithium in boot systems, and they're pretty thick. I've never had them on my feet but handled them out of the packing next to Smartwool medium and race socks. If you normally wear something like the medium sock and have enough room in your boot it would probably work fine, but there is absolutely no way I could get those socks in my boots. Hope this helps

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Would people wearing these socks talk about how you keep them clean when you skiing a bunch of days in a row (say 6-8 days)? Do you hand wash and dry them every night? Will they dry easily? Do you buy 4 pair and do hand washing every other night? These heated socks are not cheap.

Last year I bought the socks and batteries and charger set, one pair. I can wear them about twice before I really need to wash them. The cleaning instructions on the socks label are to wash inside out. The instruction booklet that came with them suggest machine washing, inside out. I’ve never put them through a dryer, they dry pretty well hanging overnight.

I am planning to buy a second pair this season.

As far as fitting my boot, I bought Intuition liners and the socks around the same time and took them to my bootfitter for adjusting my Tecnica Mach 1 LV’s, so my liners are cooked to work with the thickness of the socks. Also Lenz makes different thicknesses of socks so that could make a big difference when you’re making comparisons. The Lenz 1.0 are the thinnest and not much thicker than Smartwool Ph.d ski socks or Point 6 ski socks, so I don’t really notice much difference when I wear different socks. Then again, I’m not looking for a race fit.

Last edited:

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
As for the socks, I looked into them as an option for the non racer in the family, because they're cheaper than the lithium in boot systems, and they're pretty thick. I've never had them on my feet but handled them out of the packing next to Smartwool medium and race socks. If you normally wear something like the medium sock and have enough room in your boot it would probably work fine, but there is absolutely no way I could get those socks in my boots. Hope this helps

Yeah, I was wondering how thick the socks are. The beauty of the sock concept is the flexibility of any shoe. I have Hotronics heaters in my old boots - but just got new ones and haven't transferred them yet, as I want to see how warm the stock liners are, since they do have some Primaloft in them.

As far as fitting my boot, I bought Intuition liners and the socks around the same time and took them to my bootfitter for adjusting my Tecnica Mach 1 LV’s, so my liners are cooked to work with the thickness of the socks. Also Lenz makes different thicknesses of socks so that could make a big difference when you’re making comparisons. The Lenz 1.0 are the thinnest and not much thicker than Smartwool Ph.d ski socks or Point 6 ski socks, so I don’t really notice much difference when I wear different socks. Then again, I’m not looking for a race fit.

Oh, that's good to know. I'll have to take a look if my toes are still cold.

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Wow. Thanks for all the info. I think I want to try the boot toe heater before the socks. I finally found her smart wool socks she likes last year; took a lot of socks to find the right one and I’m not ready to go thru that again.

As for keeping the boots warm before putting them on, that’s not a problem, our weekend place is walking distance to the lift. So no cold cars etc for the boots to cool down.

Sidas & Hotronics both seem popular here. Is there a big advantage to the lithium vs the Nicad battery?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been contemplating the purchase of a second pair of Sidas batteries so I liked the idea earlier in this thread suggesting using Bootgloves along with heated footbeds to help extend battery life. But now I am thinking about heated socks and heated footbeds together and then no need for extra batteries, just turn on the second heat unit when the other heat system batteries wear down. Expensive? Yes, but this is no time to get cold feet.:D

Sponsor

Staff online