• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I love the idea of a rolling carry-on suitcase but wondering how people manage three rolling items (ski bag, carry-on suitcase, luggage bag) in the airport. The backpack bag has worked since then I am only rolling two additional items...not sure how people roll 3?
:doh:....there may be other options, but I am going to give an answer option for my own question; add-a-bag straps. I have never used these but they seem to be a thing....I obviously don't get out enough, lol.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to have rolling suitcases that would piggy-back on each other. When attached you could roll both with one hand, but it was heavy and a pain in the butt to maneuver/attach/detach. I like having a backpack more.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used to have rolling suitcases that would piggy-back on each other. When attached you could roll both with one hand, but it was heavy and a pain in the butt to maneuver/attach/detach. I like having a backpack more.
I have a large weekender backpack as my carry on. It has a sleeve on the back that slips over my checked suitcase handles. So, boot bag on my back, sportube in my right hand, rolling suitcase in my left, with backpack attached to straps.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an Athalon bag. I just put everything in the outside boot compartments and leave the center empty. It compresses down small enough to fit in the overhead compartment. I can fit boots, pants, base layer, nano puff, gloves, goggles, and beanie. I pack my helmet in my suitcase and wear my jacket. If my luggage gets lost, I can still ski the next day while I wait. I just need to rent skis and a helmet. The backpack is convenient, but heavy. I am looking for one with wheels for future travel. I don't find the carry on suitcases hold as much and they aren't as useful once I am at my destination and traveling to the resort daily.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I have an Athalon bag. I just put everything in the outside boot compartments and leave the center empty. It compresses down small enough to fit in the overhead compartment. I can fit boots, pants, base layer, nano puff, gloves, goggles, and beanie. I pack my helmet in my suitcase and wear my jacket. If my luggage gets lost, I can still ski the next day while I wait. I just need to rent skis and a helmet. The backpack is convenient, but heavy. I am looking for one with wheels for future travel. I don't find the carry on suitcases hold as much and they aren't as useful once I am at my destination and traveling to the resort daily.

Hey Pat! I do like using a backpack boot bag, but I agree it is heavy and when you are at the airport 2 hours early, are hoofing it through security, and around the airport I expect I would much prefer using a wheeled bag. When I ski out west I generally ski with a backpack for hydration, packing lunch, and having space to stuff an extra or no longer needed layer - although I prefer skiing without a pack it works great especially when lunch is not back at the base. At my destination I use it as a boot bag - my larger one has clips/straps on the side where I can clip the boots, but if I travel with my more streamlined one I do the whole velcro the power straps together and sling over my shoulder routine. When I fly I pass off my ski backpack as my purse/briefcase and put it under my seat - my larger one even fits my work laptop for the times when that needs to come.

If you are looking for a wheeled boot bag, I noticed a Sportube Cabin Cruiser is being sold in the gear sale section :thumb:

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
[QUOTE="lisamamot, post: 323487, member: 4238"

If you are looking for a wheeled boot bag, I noticed a Sportube Cabin Cruiser is being sold in the gear sale section :thumb:[/QUOTE]
I saw that, but I want one that works both as a back pack and rolls. I need to carry it on my back while I roll a suitcase and a ski bag. Once those are checked, I’d rather roll. I’m a Goldilocks for sure!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are looking for a wheeled boot bag, I noticed a Sportube Cabin Cruiser is being sold in the gear sale section :thumb:
I saw that, but I want one that works both as a back pack and rolls. I need to carry it on my back while I roll a suitcase and a ski bag. Once those are checked, I’d rather roll. I’m a Goldilocks for sure!

Maybe something like this could be made to work?

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimaxx-Folding-Compact-Lightweight-Premium/dp/B07B3JB89V/

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The first leg home on my recent trip was on a regional jet (didn't think to note what kind). I asked the gate check person for a valet tag for my boot bag. She said she thought it would fit. In reality, I had to take my helmet out to get the bag in the overhead.

My bag is a soft unstructured bag (lower compartment for boots laid flat, pyramidal upper compartment) with a single shoulder strap. (An LL Bean bag they don't make anymore. Dakine makes something similar but slightly larger.) It looks small, especially when it is not stuffed full.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
The small carry-on sized roller is a great way to do this. I use this as my carry-on. https://evergoods.us/products/civic-transit-bag-40l

Very well built, laptop sleeve, versatile, not a one-trick bag.
The carry-on sized roller is my plan for this next trip. I just picked this at Marshall's for $59.99 and it is currently loaded with my boots (size 25.5) and everything else I need to ski for the day other than my helmet...which appears may fit in my Douchebag Slim Jim, otherwise I will clip it to the outside of my carry-on and shove it under my seat. Bonus, it also has a hidden laptop compartment and since I need to bring work with me this time that works out perfectly.
https://www.olympiausa.com/collections/carry-on-1/products/nema-22

Bradley9

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
After years of being tired of hauling a heavy boot backpack around I bought a rollaboard from Burton 5 yrs ago. Its about a max size overhead capable bag. zips in half to put my boots ski socks in one side, and my $$ jacket, gloves, pants and goggles in the other. I arrive with all the gear I really need to ski. I pack the casual wear, long underwear, etc in a small suitcase or my DB ski bag.
Unfortunately they stopped making it. IT is VERY tough, ballistic black with a rubbery full size back panel. Has been checked on the way home a few times. Makes a good weekend roll aboard, but my ski gear just stays there year round...ready to go at a moments notice.

Never going back to a backpack, sore shoulder, banging into people in the airport, tired n cranky.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish that I could dump the heavy boot backpack ... but I need the heated bag to get my boots on my feet in the morning.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
2 reasons I stick with a backpack over a rolling boot bag...

1) I can't wrangle three separate rolling items. When travelling, I have my rolling ski bag (SportTube in my case) in one hand, my regular rolling suitcase in the other, plus my bootbag on my back. If it was rolling too, I'd be out of hands unless I could piggy-back things somehow.

2) I often (as much as possible) use my bootbag to get my things to the lodge to boot-up... a rolling bag wouldn't work there nearly as well

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried something different this year for carrying on boots for air travel.

I bought a Patagonia MLC. The boots pack laying.down instead of standing up so there are no issues fitting in an overhead. There’s enough room for everything I needed for a day’s skiing (except helmet which I check with my skis) plus a lap top, iPad, chargers, and a book. The bag is designed to meet airline restrictions so no hassles taking it on to the plane.

I was really happy with it. It’s comfortable to carry either as a backpack, shoulder bag or by the carry handle like a briefcase. It’s well made, seems durable, and will work well for other travel if I don’t want to take a roll aboard for some reason.

Two thumbs up!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I picked up a Sportube Overheader from Mountainsteals.com for ~$80 on sale. I thought I was getting the green plaid one but they sent me a black and green one that coordinates with my Kulkea ski bag instead.:cool: I haven't gone anywhere with it yet but I loaded all my crucial gear into it to test it out and it's much more comfortable to wear than my old carry on back pack from last millennia and has a more convenient set up.

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
These are your ski boots. Do not check them, buy them a seat.
8E310EF0-6DC4-4FA1-AFF6-93C07320690F.jpeg

pliny the elder

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven't read everyone's posts, but I use the Orvis Nylon Tote. I am generally able to pack everything in my ski bag, backpack and tote. The Orvis tote bag held my 325 boots, goggles, one flannel, Mountain Hardware vest, MH puffy, smart wool base layer, boot warmers, 2 ski socks, and my food bag for four days of skiing. (powerpars annd turkey jerkey). that is my "personal item" and then I also pack an Osprey 50 as my carry on which held books,, work stuff laptop, ski jacket, ski bibs, R1 hoody, Pat NanoAir Jacket and toiletries. The ski bag held everything else.

Sponsor