• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_5803.JPG

This is the Lange with boot top covers on the liners. (First time for everything). If you put the boots on your shoulder the bag is small enough.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What are the dimensions of the tote? I love this idea and want to investigate whether anything sitting at home would work.

When we went to Disney we put most of the kids' clothes in cheapo carry suitcases from Target or somewhere like that. Probably have to check with the airline since they're always changing.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My post from this thread : https://www.pugski.com/threads/boot-bag-recommendations.8037/

I really like my Dakine boot backpack. Boots go in the bottom together, with the helmet and goggles on top. So it's narrower than the usual transpack type with the boots separated. It may not hold quite as much (it's 50L) but plenty for me as I don't pack much in the way of clothes in it.

https://www.skis.com/Dakine-Boot-Pa...fault,pd.html#dwvar_478654P_SwatchValue=Scout

I usually have my boots, helmet, goggles, travel boot dryers, yak trax, 2 or 3 pairs of gloves, neoprene knee braces, balaclavas and neck gaiters, ski lock, water bottle, and maybe a couple other odds and ends.

I've carried this on to several flights and not had an issue. I have gate checked it a couple of times on smaller regional flights... but those tend to be the ones where they give it back to you on the Jet Bridge, and/or it goes straight out of the Jet Bridge onto the plane. It won't take a laptop - I usually have a separate bag as my personal item for that if I'm taking it.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Since you do not need a boot bag for daily use, I suggest you consider a 21"/22" regular carry on suitcase. The boots easily fit inside along with extra clothing. Airline / airport friendly. Worked great for me on a European Ski Trip. Available for regular travel use when not used as a boot bag.

This works so well. I can take boots, under layers, goggles, socks, pants and gloves in my standard rolling carry on. If my luggage gets lost, I just rent skis, a helmet and go.

I also have a huge Nordica backpack and a double sport tube, I can handle it all easily.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well the advantage of a backpack is if you say take trains or shuttles. You're going to have a suitcase, maybe a ski bag? If so, that's two arms used up. That leaves the back.
I've done the ski bag thing twice in Europe. Not having to deal with it the third time frankly was nice. Even though the demo skis were fairly abominable.

James

Out There
Instructor
I just bought this bag: https://www.ziplineski.com/products...-cup-backpack-customized-embroidery-pre-order which I am going to try to get on a plane this week. It is similar to the Lange one that @James used but it seems pretty sturdy. I think it will fit in the overhead of the plane I am on and if I take the boots off it definitely will. I can check back last week and let you guys know how it goes.
That looks pretty good. Zipline's pole straps are a lot heavier duty than Scott's. The white interior is extremely helpful. My Sync has a light grey one.

This works so well. I can take boots, under layers, goggles, socks, pants and gloves in my standard rolling carry on. If my luggage gets lost, I just rent skis, a helmet and go.

I also have a huge Nordica backpack and a double sport tube, I can handle it all easily.
So, you carry the suitcase portion on your back and roll the other two? Makes sense.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
So, you carry the suitcase portion on your back and roll the other two? Makes sense.

Bingo! I just wear my ski jacket on the plane and pack a lightweight down jacket in my checked luggage. Ski case rolls, carry on rolls, big pack works fine on my back. I don’t need carts or anything and I can pack everything I need for a week without worrying about laundry.

My airline credit card gets my first bag checked for free. I’ve called my backpack a boot bag twice and they count it as one sometimes, no charge! :)

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
IMG_1737.jpg

I've found that if you show up with The Ur-Bag no one will mess with you. This might be because it's 100% collapsible, or it might be because they fear you're a time traveler who's been sent here to start fights with gate agents.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
View attachment 64073

I've found that if you show up with The Ur-Bag no one will mess with you. This might be because it's 100% collapsible, or it might be because they fear you're a time traveler who's been sent here to start fights with gate agents.
+1
I use one like that. Boots/helmet/2 googles/socks/sun glasses all fit under the seat but I have to move it around whenever my feet get uncomfortable. It’s never been questioned.
Everything else goes in a 70 liter backpack. If I rent skis I don’t need to check anything.

dm

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just bought this bag: https://www.ziplineski.com/products...-cup-backpack-customized-embroidery-pre-order which I am going to try to get on a plane this week. It is similar to the Lange one that @James used but it seems pretty sturdy. I think it will fit in the overhead of the plane I am on and if I take the boots off it definitely will. I can check back last week and let you guys know how it goes.
We just met with Zipline at a Media Preview event at OR...The owner is an old hot dogger and reads the site.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
We just met with Zipline at a Media Preview event at OR...The owner is an old hot dogger and reads the site.

After this trip I will give a review of the bag. I took it up last weekend just for a day trip and it was good. I figured there was some freestyle in their background based on their website.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hate negotiating airports with boots on my back... just gets too heavy when you add computer, head phones, water, etc. My MO is to use a standard sized roll on for boots, helmet, shell, gloves, goggles... If I will be booting up at my lodging I don't bring a ski bag. If I will be booting up not at my lodging I bring my Transpak folded flat in my checked duffel.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another vote for just use a 22" carry on suitcase. I can get my boots, knee brace (DonJoy), at least 3 days of ski clothes, other clothes, plus some other items. I put my helmet and goggles in a backpack under the seat.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can confirm that the Zipline boot bag will fit in the overhead of a Jetblue Airbus 320. My boots are resting comfortably over my head while I type this. If forced to I could have taken the boots off and put the bag up top and the boots under the seat in front of me.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
About 17" long, about 9' or so wide, and 15" tall. This one is a soft canvas which makes it easy to squish them around in the overhead. I have several LL Bean bags of the same dimensions, but they are a tad unwieldy in the squishing department.

Best day ever! My boots fit in one of my squishy canvas totes that I got for free for a speaking engagement! Now I need someplace to fly to...

D85DB16E-DAED-4E92-A57D-8AF1E42A3031.jpeg

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I just picked up a sportube overhead pack that I think will be great.

https://www.sportube.com/Overheader-Padded-Gear-and-Boot-Backpack-p/bgsoh.htm

I can vouch for the Sportube Overheader. Carries everything I need to go skiing.

Have you attached your Overheader to a Sportube case? We have two double Sportube Series 2 cases and I am wondering how well the attachment function works.

My daughter and I both have the Dakine 50L boot bag and they work really well; I have never had a problem fitting it in the overhead and it fits a ski shell, ski pants, mittens, and helmet as well. Sadly mine just got damaged coming home from Aspen last week. Good thing I can take hers to Big Sky if needed!

My son and my husband both have the Line Slope pack and it also fits in the overhead. It has slightly less gear room than the Dakine 50L though and they often take the risk of packing their outerwear in their luggage. I would personally clip the helmet on the outside and use that compartment for outerwear but I am risk averse!

I love the idea of a rolling carry-on suitcase but wondering how people manage three rolling items (ski bag, carry-on suitcase, luggage bag) in the airport. The backpack bag has worked since then I am only rolling two additional items...not sure how people roll 3?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have you attached your Overheader to a Sportube case? We have two double Sportube Series 2 cases and I am wondering how well the attachment function works.

Sorry but no. I’ve been using the same no-name padded double bag for about 12 years. So far it’s survived the airline’s continued efforts to destroy it without fail.