• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Books on Ski Instruction

Timothy S. Farrier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I think both formats are helpful, the book and videos instructions. You can use hybrid book-video resources, depending on how you prefer to learn in general.:beercheer:

Timothy S. Farrier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I think both formats are helpful, the book and videos instructions. You can use hybrid book-video resources, depending on how you prefer to learn in general.:beercheer:
Top 3 books on ski instruction in my opinion:
  • Unbound: A Story of Snow & Self Discovery by Steph Jagger.
  • Powder: The 50 Greatest Ski Runs on the Planet by Patrick Thorne.
  • Breakthrough on the New Skis: Say Goodbye to the Intermediate Blues by Lito Tejada-Flores.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ski enthusiast, avid traveler, and remote editor. I make a living by giving dissertation help to University students in the U.S (https://edubirdie.com/dissertation-help ) by consulting, researching, assessing, and providing corrective feedback. "There are just three things you have to learn in skiing: first, is how to put on your skis in a right way, second, how to slide downhill accurately, and third, how to crawl along the hospital corridors well' - Lord Mancroft

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I may recall a drill from a lesson by name, or worse by action, but that doesn't mean that I'll recall all of the details to said drill by the time I get home...from that perspective I actually like the books for a reference to drills that I have worked on recently (or even 2 years ago.)

tlougee

Booting up
Skier
Worthy of repeating.
Which is one reason why mountain biking can be a really good off season sport for skiers. In both sports you are the projectile using equipment to manage speed and direction and both sets of equipment can store and release energy.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Imo, the books written by harald harb are by far the best and most consistent with a clear progression path.

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a little nervous about commenting on a thread that died in three pages more than two years ago, because, this:

Basic forum rule, Anything that needs to be said, is usually said in the first three pages.

...that Phil said on another Ski School forum that's now hit its tenth page, but I think this thread is enormously interesting.

I very much like to read about skiing and ski technique. I can't say that books and Youtube videos appreciably improved my own skiing but very likely made me a better ski instructor.

Bendzeekneez

Putting on skis
Skier

This has some great photo montages! Good information and is a great addition to any manuals etc people have

Sponsor