• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Books on Ski Instruction

strix

Terminal Intermediate
Skier
Hi all,

I have a lot of friends that keep asking me how they can improve their skiing. Whenever this happens I’m either stuck reasoning from first principles, or echoing advice I was given 20 years ago (which is not super useful). Reasoning from first principles (particularly with video) has been pretty effective at identifying problems, but I lack the tools to help them practice better technique. I can tell them about better ski technique, but not how to get there.

Obviously, I can tell them to take a lesson, but that’s a non-answer. Are there good books/resources on ski instruction and technique? I assume people learn ski instruction from more than just word of mouth.

Cheers

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
While a bit dated, the information in the following books still hold today. I refer to "The Athletic Skier" and "How the Racers Ski", both by Warren Witherell. When I first read "How the Racers Ski" first published in 1972 I was being taught in the old school, recreational style techniques and dismissed much of what he wrote. What I couldn't yet understand is that the way he was training his skiers was quite similar to how most of us ski today, but with equipment designed to be able to accomplish the same things, but at lower speeds. "The Athletic Skier" (circa 1993) takes things a step further. I don't believe we were quite in the "shaped ski era" yet. There is another book that I'm currently reviewing from a "method" that I don't necessarily subscribe to but can glean parts from. It is metaphorically one that demands "parental guidance" and shouldn't be read without the supervision of someone qualified to dissect it for you. And as such I will not cite it.

But why is "take a less" a non-answer? Trying to learn to ski with a book is no different than trying to learn to dance with one. And the YouTube videos? You don't get feedback on your own skiing from videos either. A skier looking to progress needs a set of qualified eyes on them to analyze what they're doing and what they need to do to improve.

abcd

Putting on skis
Skier
I thoroughly read books by KIPP, LeMaster and Fellows and found them very interesting. My skiing did not improve though. It's like learning quantum mechanics at home without going to college. Possible, bit few can.
As a more manageable task, I would go with CSIA manual generously available here
2 pages on technical objectives from the main manual and exercises from the children's booklet
As long as they don't mind doing exercises prescribed for 6 year old kids :)

TS
strix

strix

Terminal Intermediate
Skier
I like this one... although it most helps to reinforce some things I've learned here and in lessons, versus being a lesson book in and of itself I think:
This came up when I first searched. Looks like a good high level summary of skiing form. Ideally, I'm looking for something targetted at self-teaching or teaching instructors how to teach. Rock climbing has many high quality books of this form, but they are noticably lacking for skiing. The other oft-cited book is "All-Mountain Skiier".
While a bit dated, the information in the following books still hold today. I refer to "The Athletic Skier" and "How the Racers Ski", both by Warren Witherell. When I first read "How the Racers Ski" first published in 1972 I was being taught in the old school, recreational style techniques and dismissed much of what he wrote. What I couldn't yet understand is that the way he was training his skiers was quite similar to how most of us ski today, but with equipment designed to be able to accomplish the same things, but at lower speeds. "The Athletic Skier" (circa 1993) takes things a step further. I don't believe we were quite in the "shaped ski era" yet. There is another book that I'm currently reviewing from a "method" that I don't necessarily subscribe to but can glean parts from. It is metaphorically one that demands "parental guidance" and shouldn't be read without the supervision of someone qualified to dissect it for you. And as such I will not cite it.
I'll take a look at those, but all the reviews seem to say "this information is dated". I may be able to read between the lines, but I'd obviously prefer to read something more modern. Particularly something post-shaped-skis.
I'd consider myself qualified to make that decision for myself. What is the book you are refering to?
But why is "take a less" a non-answer? Trying to learn to ski with a book is no different than trying to learn to dance with one. And the YouTube videos? You don't get feedback on your own skiing from videos either. A skier looking to progress needs a set of qualified eyes on them to analyze what they're doing and what they need to do to improve.
I've already given them that advice (admittedly half-heartedly), and they respond with the obvious "lessons are hundreds of dollars". I've had such mixed experiences in lessons that it's hard for me to try to sell people on them with a straight face at that price point. If the only route to improvement were lessons, they would probably just drop skiing and pick a different sport.

TS
strix

strix

Terminal Intermediate
Skier
I thoroughly read books by KIPP, LeMaster and Fellows and found them very interesting. My skiing did not improve though. It's like learning quantum mechanics at home without going to college. Possible, bit few can.
As a more manageable task, I would go with CSIA manual generously available here
2 pages on technical objectives from the main manual and exercises from the children's booklet
As long as they don't mind doing exercises prescribed for 6 year old kids :)
This looks exactly like the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks!

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Maybe, if you can find a source, the PSIA manuals instructors use in their training for certification

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK boomer, what's this "book" thing you all are talking about. It's all about youtube now.
There's plenty of youtube ski instructions and video series available for free.

At a minimum, even if it doesn't have a feedback loop, the youtube videos will be a better format to demonstrate drills or skill exercises compared to a book, that your friends can at least attempt on the slopes.
PSIA even has a youtube channel.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
But why is "take a less" a non-answer? Trying to learn to ski with a book is no different than trying to learn to dance with one. And the YouTube videos? You don't get feedback on your own skiing from videos either. A skier looking to progress needs a set of qualified eyes on them to analyze what they're doing and what they need to do to improve

^^^Yup, nailed it. The great ski instructors are the ones with a great eye.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I don’t see how a book is going to help you develop a critical eye for MA, and understanding the deep, root issues that may be occurring. Maybe start to work as an instructor at a hill with and awesome development program?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have a couple of friends, new to skiing at the time, who years ago took a 3 day level1 ski instructors course, not because they wanted to be ski instructors but because they wanted to fast track their skiing prowess.

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
I'll take a look at those [Witherell books], but all the reviews seem to say "this information is dated". I may be able to read between the lines, but I'd obviously prefer to read something more modern. Particularly something post-shaped-skis.
I'd consider myself qualified to make that decision for myself. What is the book you are refering to?
Of course the books are "dated". But you know, I've been teaching this stuff for, let's say in excess of 30 years, and a lot of the "current" information is a rehash of the same stuff, with a few tweaks. As an example, in the late '70's PSIA had a system known as "Centerline". For some reason they abandoned it for "Stepping Stones", which IMO was the wrong direction. Now they're off in another direction (I don't even try to keep up with the new stuff as I have my own approach with works incredibly well and takes students beyond the lesson). There is pure gold in Witherell's books. You just have to mine for it. If you look for the similarities you'll recognize them right away. Nothing has changed, except equipment making it easier to accomplish what Witherell was saying back then. I think what people overlook is that solid technique hasn't changed all that much. It's just the equipment caught up to it to allow newer skiers to adopt it. Anyone serious about skiing owes it to themselves to at least buy "The Athletic Skier".

I've already given them that advice (admittedly half-heartedly), and they respond with the obvious "lessons are hundreds of dollars". I've had such mixed experiences in lessons that it's hard for me to try to sell people on them with a straight face at that price point. If the only route to improvement were lessons, they would probably just drop skiing and pick a different sport.
Maybe they should pick a different sport? Good, safe skiing involves EVERYONE on the mountain; not just that individual skier. It's not just about safety and fun for that individual but for his potential victims as well. If you've ever been hit by a skier who didn't have control on the slope he/she was attempting, you know what I mean. A lesson will also teach judgement, snow conditions and how to adapt, something no book or video will really teach you.

Skiing is largely counter-intuitive. There is an adage, "20 minutes to learn a bad habit. 20 years to unlearn it". You have no idea how many skiers I have to get to "unlearn" stuff that they have habituated so that they can improve. It can be movement patterns or even sequencing of movements, all of which require a trained eye and experience on how to overcome the issues. You've heard the term "terminal intermediate"? It's no joke.. but there is no reason for it if trained properly. You won't get bad habit prevention from a book or YouTube video. And even then, the quality or experience of your instructor can vary. I get it. It's a tough call with so much money involved. But if you find the right instructor, even a single lesson is well worth the money. I could write a ton more, but I'll stop here.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes but for every “right instructor” there are many dozens of wrong ones even at a major destination resort like PCMR. And novices really have no way of knowing which is which. Consider “instructor” guy cruising lazily down Claimjumper, leaning back on his heels and swinging his shoulders to start each turn. And following him his little train of pupils imitating him to perfection! What would be worth the money is paying the resort not to be exposed to this crap.

There are some basic principles that one can glean from books on skiing that at least help a reasonably smart learner not be sold an entire bill of goods.

lurking bear

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've got 4 favorite ski books:

Brilliant Skiing, Every Day by Weems Westfeldt
Everything the Instructors Never Told you About Mogul Skiing by Dan DiPiro
John Clendenin's Ski Method by John Clendenin
breakthrough on the new skis by Lito Tejada-Flores

I could have sworn I had a copy of Complete Encyclopedia of Skiing by Bob Barnes, but I sure can't find it.

Most of these have some videos online if you search.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here is the simple difference between old school and new school (straight vs shaped). In the end at the top level both learn the same things with some minor variations (won’t get into an argument here) just the sequence in which they are learned and required is different.

With modern equipment there are a lot of skills (about half that you learned as a straight skier as intermediate/advanced skills) that you learn early on in the progression, this is driven by the equipment. The stuff that you used to have to learn to progress is usually missed until you become a modern advanced skier (see it all still needs to be learned).

So if you are looking at older books look at the skill and not the level its aimed at. Modern texts are sequenced in how we learn now with the new equipment.

Remember this is just a very general observation but it should give you an idea as how to apply different vintages of books and teachings.

Hopefully this helps.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One other thing, if you are teaching you are going to learn (you will or you can’t teach) as you explain, demonstrate and analyze actions of your student. You learn as you insight trying to bring this concepts across to your student. The more you teach the less this happens, but the even the most experienced instructors still learn something new just less often that new instructors (in some cases its reminders of something long forgotten).

Approach it this way and you be surprised how much you’ll advance in short order as you teach.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
"The skis are designed to carve an arcing path through the snow when they are sufficiently rolled on edge, and when sufficient pressure is applied to bend them into reverse camber."
"If you stand correctly on your skis, they will turn for you. If you apply correct edge angle and pressure to a ski, the ski itself will provide most of the required turning force." Or something like that ...As true now as it was back when Warren Witherell wrote it.

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
This attitude seems surprisingly elitist and makes me a bit sad. I feel like you must have been pretty burned by inexperienced folks to feel this way :(

I'm sorry you feel that way. I've been run over by out-of-control skiers multiple times as have my children, simply because the perpetrators involved were not taught properly. I've had shoulder sprains that took a year to heal from yahoos that didn't think they needed a lesson. With all the ski books out there, there are few that teach "the rules of the road" in terms of courtesty, right-of-way, skier avoidance, stopping in the correct, safest places. Books can't show you how to judge snow conditions. You don't have to go to a resort where they charge $800 for an all day lesson, but learn somewhere where you can afford a lift ticket and a group lesson. I am a Level III Certified instructor, and still even I not only go to clinics, but when I go to other places I'll take my pin off and pay for a group lesson, just to see how other teachers teach to make me a better instructor. I cannot tell you how many lessons I've given over the years FOR FREE because I'm aware of what it costs and my way of paying it forward- and know many instructors who do the same. With sports like basketball, baseball, tennis, golf, archery, you play with a projectile... but with skiing you ARE the projectile. One more thing... Skiing is not free of mortalities and critical injuries. I'm sorry my friend. That's not elitist- but common sense and an effort to make skiing a mutually enjoyable experience.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online