• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bluetooth ski intercom system opinions

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think in theory they are a great idea. I have not seen many reviews out there on them but they seem to work well in the motorcycle world.

anyone have experience with these.

I am looking hard at the Smith X Aleck.

opinions or suggestions?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maube you can describe what need you are trying to fill?

it only is a great idea if you really have a need for synchronous communications like if you're filming or doing something sketchy or need immediate instructions like turn left now.

if youre just split up skiing in different areas of the resort you are probably better off just with asych text messaging to coordinate
I don't really see the need to be in someone elses ear unless you are like coaching or something?

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think in theory they are a great idea. I have not seen many reviews out there on them but they seem to work well in the motorcycle world.

anyone have experience with these.

I am looking hard at the Smith X Aleck.

opinions or suggestions?
What are you trying to do?

Bluetooth has a range of about 30 feet. Maybe 60–100 without interference and with line of sight. It’s designed as a personal area network, not for long range communication.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Bluetooth has a range of about 30 feet. Maybe 60–100 without interference and with line of sight. It’s designed as a personal area network, not for long range communication.
The bluetooth is to connect to your smartphone;
the Smith product OP quoted is primarily wireless speaker chips for you to listen to music and take phone calls from your helmet.
The intercom and group features is more a secondary feature provided by their custom smartphone app that will utilize your phone's communication features (e.g. wifi or cell service).
I don't think these will allow you to communicate without your phone's built-in data/communication features.

There are other devices meant for off-grid/backcountry remote communication that do use a secondary radio to form a mesh data network that don't using the cell frequencies already built into a phone; but that's something different...

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The bluetooth is to connect to your smartphone;
the Smith product OP quoted is primarily wireless speaker chips for you to listen to music and take phone calls from your helmet.
The intercom and group features is more a secondary feature provided by their custom smartphone app that will utilize your phone's communication features (e.g. wifi or cell service).
I don't think these will allow you to communicate without your phone's built-in data/communication features.

There are other devices meant for off-grid/backcountry remote communication that do use a secondary radio to form a mesh data network that don't using the cell frequencies already built into a phone; but that's something different...
Careful as terrible reviews on the OP system. I use this for music and phone. Works perfect but intercom app funct is sketchy at best.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you just need an app to keep track of where your group is; there are a lot of those that already exist.

If you're skiing at a resort, you might as well utilize the resort's app and give them your data; it will usually give more detail about the named Run or Lift overlaid on the trailmap plus lift status all in one place.

If you're skiing Vail resorts, the Epicmix app will give you those features.
If you're on Ikonpass , the big resorts on that network usually an app based on the skilynx platform:

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Basically I’m trying to communicate with my wife. She will be immediately in front or behind me on runs.

Using the device to chat or give directions/run suggestions real time.

we do get into some sketchy stuff and the bottom of some of the resorts can get messy so last second lift changes, stopping points and trail suggestion in real time would be awesome

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Maube you can describe what need you are trying to fill?

it only is a great idea if you really have a need for synchronous communications like if you're filming or doing something sketchy or need immediate instructions like turn left now.

if youre just split up skiing in different areas of the resort you are probably better off just with asych text messaging to coordinate
I don't really see the need to be in someone elses ear unless you are like coaching or something?
Ray, the use will be exactly as you described first. Real time comes for directions

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier

gotcha. The limited range should be ok for my use. Ie within a couple hundred feet max

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've tried a few different systems and they've never performed as advertised. I had high hopes for the mesh based system but as soon as my son went around a trail bend the network failed.

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
I use the BCA radios with my two kids for the last two seasons - even though it is all resort skiing - and have been extremely happy with the over the should mics setup. It allows real time communications without trying to scream across the hill. We can get off the lift - and split up - and coordinate to meet again at a juncture half way down the slope very easily. Also - in a foggy situation - comes in handy as well - if we need to decide to change course. The service & warranty from BCA have been superb as well.

Brenda A.

Booting up
Skier
I've had really good results with the Sena helmets, probably 1/2 mile in resorts, and longer in bowls. Super easy setup, on/off features, but the sizing is a little odd. They are a motorcycle helmet company usually, and I added a boa helmet dial to make the fit more traditional for a ski/bike helmet.

Also - I'm still waiting for a pair of Milo -- the mesh network communicator on kickstarter. I'm looking to use it rock climbing, and maybe mountain biking with groups, or skiing with new people. It looks really promising and can have a lot of applications in the outdoors, like even kayaking or paddle boarding. Granted, it was supposed to be shipped last December, so I wouldn't hold my breath but it was fully funded leaps and bounds given the popularity, and I still get updates for where they are delivering to early adopters. It is probably the most versatile option for general outdoor enthusiasts, and doesn't require cell coverage.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Careful as terrible reviews on the OP system. I use this for music and phone. Works perfect but intercom app funct is sketchy at best.
I've tried the ODT chips for a bunch of Bluetooth head sets.
The walkie talkie feature is not seamless.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Marcia and I used the UCLEAR briefly and it worked pretty well for what the OP is looking for. The unit is not inconspicuous and connection would drop periodically.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've tried the ODT chips for a bunch of Bluetooth head sets.
The walkie talkie feature is not seamless.
Agreed. I meant ODT Chips. After so many years on the market you would think that they would have worked out the kinks in this system. It's great for music and calls. Lots of bass and plenty of volume due to large magnets but still so many issues w/ their intercom system.

Sponsor

Staff online