Blizzard Bushwacker vs. Liberty V82

Discussion in 'Hardgoods: Skis, Bindings, Poles, and More' started by Big_Al, Oct 11, 2019 at 8:32 PM.

1. Big_Al

Big_Al Booting up Skier

Advanced/Expert all-mountain skier looking for an East coast ski that has good edge grip, carves well, and can ski bumps. I enjoy high-edge angles on the groomers and zipper-lining bumps. Not intending this pair to be used much for trees or powder. 80-90mm is the sweet spot for me. My research has led me to these two. 5'9", 175 lbs, looking at a 179 length.

Was thinking the Bushwacker might be a little more versatile given the extra width but might give up a little on edge grip.

Thoughts?

2. Wendy

Wendy Trying not to face plant Skier

“High edge angles on the groomers” points to the V82, IMO.

GregK likes this.
  3. GregK

GregK Out on the slopes Skier

Short answer, correct but not solely because of the width as it’s more to do with the shape of the skis. The V series has very little tip and tail taper which will pull you into turns easier on harder snow and finish/lock into the turn with more authority. But that lack of tip taper is less forgiving off piste or in grabby snow.

Flex and weight are similar between the two so more the shape that is hard snow biased in the V series(but still good in soft as the tips and shovels are quite soft flexing) or more all mountain biased in the Bushwacker. Both would do well in moguls with their flex but I’d give the slight nod to the Bushwacker in grabby, heavy snow bumps with the tapered tip shape and higher tip splay able to pass over crud mounds easier. Firmer moguls both would be great.

So for your use, agreeing with @Wendy for the V82.

Tony S and Wendy like this.
  4. Wendy

Wendy Trying not to face plant Skier

@Big_Al Don’t confuse the “V series” I mentioned (Liberty V82) with the Head V series.....the Heads have way more flared tips and tails....a forgiving ski that will pull you into the turn like the Liberty V82, but will be catchier in bumps and crud due to all that excessive (IMO) shape.

Tricia likes this.
  5. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

The Bushwacker is definitely more of an off piste biased ski, while the Liberty V82 is a great all mountain ski that goes off piste really well.
    The Liberty Evolve 90 is a better comparison to the Bushwacker. But the Evolve 90 is a better all around ski IMHO.
    @Philpug @Andy Mink and @Drahtguy Kevin have a good idea in their reviews about these.

Tony S, Wendy and Ken_R like this.

6. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

Agree. Loved the Evolv. It does have more beef than the Bushwacker, but/and is smoother.

If you want to privilege carving enough to be considering the V82, there are definitely others in that category worth looking at too. The Elan Wingman 82 cti - you knew this was coming - is lighter and a bit more forgiving than the V82 in bumps. Both very good, just different snow feel. I preferred the Elan for the quality of feedback. The Liberty is slightly snappier arc to arc.

Tricia likes this.
  7. DocGKR

DocGKR Putting on skis Skier

Perhaps it also might be worthwhile to think about the Blizzard Brahma 82, Head iTitan (81mm), Renoun Atlas (80mm), and maybe the flat Nordica Spitfire 80 RB. I also would not discount the Rossignol Hero Plus Ti (78mm), as I find mine offer great edge grip, carve very well, and can ski bumps nicely, as well as being fine in both shallow fresh snow and spring slush.