• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzaks still rule supreme

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I put Hankook Winter Pike on my just sold 2005 Mustang when new for a winter tire, had them on for 9 winters and the still were ok in snow, must have had 60,000 miles on them. I bought a pair for my new Mustang GT hoping for the same

We have very different priorities! My SUMMER tires only last 30k :cool:

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
I picked up an 03 330xi from a customer this fall, I've been nursing it back into shape and finally have it road worthy. Tomorrow I'm going to have Discount Tire put a set of Blizzaks on it. I've been driving a full sized 3/4 ton Chev the last five seasons, it'll be interesting to see how the BMW with Blizzaks does versus the behemoth 4x4 with truck tires.

image.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I picked up an 03 330xi from a customer this fall, I've been nursing it back into shape and finally have it road worthy. Tomorrow I'm going to have Discount Tire put a set of Blizzaks on it. I've been driving a full sized 3/4 ton Chev the last five seasons, it'll be interesting to see how the BMW with Blizzaks does versus the behemoth 4x4 with truck tires.

View attachment 607
You will be amazed how surefooted. this will be with the proper tires.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I got 13k on the last set on my Miata tires.
To be fair, the 30k on the WRX tires was total miles, meaning including the WS80 winter miles!!! :doh:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick update on the Yokohama IG51s since we got our first real snow in Tahoe. Put them on yesterday on my truck just as the snow was starting to fall. 275/55-20s XL rated on a 14 F150 3.5EB, 157wb .

First impressions are definitely good, excellent traction and braking, very positive turn-in and, even with my hooligan tendencies, pretty resistant to sliding the back end around. Seems a better sidewall (on the truck at least) and less squishy than the Blizzak DMV-1. This was of course all in 4H which helps tighten things up but definitely pleased with them so far. I will continue to monitor and update with more miles on them

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Blizzaks back on! Not only am I about double the winter tread depth on those, but my all seasons are still at 5/32. With how little I drive I can absolutely get another summer out of those.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Got the Blizzaks put on today.

image.jpeg

My car had an on rails feel before, it definitely feels looser with the Blizzaks. Looks like I'm going to get the opportunity to drive on snow tomorrow morning!

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Got the Blizzaks put on today.

View attachment 642

My car had an on rails feel before, it definitely feels looser with the Blizzaks. Looks like I'm going to get the opportunity to drive on snow tomorrow morning!

Make sure the shop properly set the tire pressure. I've seen some where they never bled off the bead seating pressure :doh:
Once the pressures are where they belong, you will find much happiness driving in the snow with them :)

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
That was the first thing I checked when I got it back to my shop (I own an auto repair facility, www.advancedserviceauto.com) from Discount. I had a pretty decent set of tires on, I think the sidewallls and lugs flex a bit more than my old tires. I'm fine with a bit looser feel on dry pavement in exchange for charging up the canyon on big days!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:) I can remember getting only 3k miles out of a set of fronts on my 120hp "hot hatch" road car back in the 80s...
We didn't have any 120HP hot hatches here in the US in the 80's...:(

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was also very impressed with the Altimax's. Per....... Personally I haven't had a Blizzak for a couple of seasons, the last pair were the Revo's that were on my 06 Legacy wagon, they were fantastic.

first time I replaced my OEM Silverado tires it was with the Revo 2's, far far better. Next time with Firestone Destination LE2s, these even better given limited amount of deep snow I drive ...

I've. Been using blizzaks for several years for both my wife and myself. Work great but wear wise I usually sold mine after one year.....

Hummed and hawed this year over what to get but decided to roll the dice and try the new Yokohama ig51 for both my truck and the wife's macan. H........ Gonna be interesting to see if I have guessed right!

I'm picking up some Michelins X-Ice Xi2s but was just shy of buying Yokohama IG51s. The issue I have with Blizzaks are that while I'd love to pick em up, they (from most reviews read) are tweaked towards users on snow/ice covered roads. They simply are a bit softer and "squishy" than some others. This in itself isn't bad, simply from reading a trade off. As my driving will mostly be cleared roads, I opted for a quieter tire and one tuned more for a bit more wet handling. Hence the Michelins. The Yoko's were a close second pick. I'd opt to Nokian's but they are really a very pricey premium.

My Blizzaks are on their third year, but they won't last much longer. Two are at 7, and two are at 5. I have probably 24K on them? But so much of that is not on snow. I use them until late May/early June.

Again, Blizzaks are great but very soft and so for colder more snow covered surface. Their newest are opted out for 50% wear with the optimized rubber, after 50% wear they're back to a more standard winter tire rubber and where I'd say I'd buy new. At 7 and 5, presuming your meaning 32nds of a tread (11/32 I think new) is about half gone and your on regular winter rubber. Better than all season and with design that opens up some channeling, but likely if your into the added safety or response .. time for new.

pete
@Ron yeah, very cool you took the course. I am seriously thinking of signing up my kid for the course this Jan ... I love the idea of having added hands on learning for such situations.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally trying out the new Blizzaks in the conditions they were made for. Light, constant snow, temps in the high teens-low 20 & icy roads.

Sponsor