• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bindings Mounted *Slightly* Crooked

Klik

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum, but anyway...

I've just noticed that the bindings on the skis I bought last season were mounted slightly crooked. Specifically, on both toe pieces and both heel pieces, the front of the binding piece is exactly center of the ski (across the width of the ski, not the length – I’m mounted in standard mount location) but the rear is about 1mm left of center. The mis-alignment is extremely consistent (as best I can measure, all 4 pieces of the binding are exactly centered in front and exactly 1mm right of center in back). While I have no experience mounting bindings, this makes me think the misalignment was caused by the tool/machine/technique used in precisely the same way for all four pieces. The bindings test fine and I haven’t noticed anything weird while skiing them.

For reference, the bindings are 2019 Marker Griffon 13s, mounted to 27.5 Lange RX 100s (316mm) – god I need stiffer boots, these just fit my feet so well - and the skis are 177cm 2017 K2 Pinnacle 105s

A bit of trigonometry tells me this:

(1) The heel piece of my boot is center-aligned and the toe (316mm away) is 1mm left of center, my boot is angled 0.18 degrees left:
Sin(theta) = 1/316: theta = 0.18 degrees
(2) The tip of the ski is roughly 1160mm from the heel of the boot, so, at 0.18 degrees, the tip of the ski will point 3.67mm right of center when my toes are pointing perfectly forward
Sin(0.18)= x/1160: x = 3.67mm

But that’s assuming I measured the 1mm accurately enough (I probably didn’t - it could easily be +- .5mm) and that the rear of the toe binding being off by 1mm causes the boot toe to be exactly 1mm off. That’s probably not exactly right.

Should I be concerned about the alignment? My math above tells me my skis will point 3.67mm (or about 0.15 inches) to the right when my feet are straight. I didn't notice it until I looked at the skis and noticed the bindings looked a little funny.

edit: trig mistake (the boot is along the hypotenuse of the first triangle, but is actually the adjacent of the 2nd triangle, not the hypotenuse, so sin must be used twice - weirdly, the angle is so small that this didn't change the rounded answer)

edit 2: 3.67mm = .15 in not 1.5in... lol

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Your math is a bit crap.. :D 3.67mm is about 1/10th of an inch. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I've mounted hundreds of bindings and probably less than 10% were perfect to less an a mm of difference... Remember, there is also slop in the binding mechanism itself..they're somewhat spring-centrered..

TS
K

Klik

Skier
Your math is a bit crap.. :D 3.67mm is about 1/10th of an inch

LOL wow, looks like I converted from cm to in instead of mm to in =P but yeah, I agree 3.67mm is nothing. Forgive me, it's friday

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Should I be concerned about the alignment? My math above tells me my skis will point 3.67mm (or about 1.5 inches) to the right, and that sounds like enough to care about, but idk. I didn't notice it until I looked at the skis and noticed the bindings looked a little funny.

It doesn't work that way - your body will adapt to the actual position of the edges relative to your leg, so at best/worst there will be slightly unequal tipping angles and/or unequal tension in your lower leg at the same tipping angle. But not really - most ski terrain is uneven enough to mask differences on this scale.

If you're *really* fussed about it, you can slightly loosen the binding screws - not all the way but enough to be able to move the heelpiece- and shift/jiggle/muscle the heel piece into proper position then - while holding it in place - re-tighten the screws. Should work for most ~1mm cosmetic corrections.

Your math is a bit crap.. :D 3.67mm is about 1/10th of an inch. .
*looks at 2.54mm, looks at 3.67mm, waves to pot* ogwink

TS
K

Klik

Skier
Yeah I wasn't sure how to convey it sensibly other than 1/10th! :roflmao: A 7th?? I guess! :D

The right answer is to just not use the imperial system. Idk why I decided to try to convert from mm to in in the OP but that was where it all went wrong

TS
K

Klik

Skier
Actually, as a follow up

@scott43 you said you have a lot of experience mounting bindings. Any idea why each of the 4 pieces of the binding seem to be mounted exactly center in front and exactly 1mm to the left in the rear? The consistency makes my think it's just something about how they mount bindings at that shop

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Actually, as a follow up

@scott43 you said you have a lot of experience mounting bindings. Any idea why each of the 4 pieces of the binding seem to be mounted exactly center in front and exactly 1mm to the right in the rear? The consistency makes my think it's just something about how they mount bindings at that shop
Jig slop or weird sides on the skiis.. You have to keep in mind most guy slap on the jig and drill away..it's far more accurate than marking and manually drilling. So probably the jig is getting old or was manufactured slightly crook. I'm not an expert ski guy..I don't have the technical skill of the best pros at ski maintenance so I was a slap on the jig kinda guy. I wouldn't have ever thought ot measure the holes or bindings if they passed the eyeball test..

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Jig slop or weird sides on the skiis.. You have to keep in mind most guy slap on the jig and drill away..it's far more accurate than marking and manually drilling. So probably the jig is getting old or was manufactured slightly crook. I'm not an expert ski guy..I don't have the technical skill of the best pros at ski maintenance so I was a slap on the jig kinda guy. I wouldn't have ever thought ot measure the holes or bindings if they passed the eyeball test..

Not more accurate, just faster... and leads to the inevitable screw ups when the jig is worn out or damaged and the shop doesn't give a f*ck.

Calling my inner maggot: Mount your own damn skis. ;)

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I’m not going to check your math. But I’ve mounted bindings slightly off by being sloppy with the jig and not noticing the rubber foot fell off when I moved the jig along the ski. Stuff happens and 99% of people never notice.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
A good jig will save a lot of time but it is still a tool that can be misused by someone who either doesn't know what he / she is doing or doesn't care. People don't know what the final product is supposed to look like but they go through the motions and wonder why the boss (me) is standing there shaking his head.

Take something as simple as a quarter round bit in a hand held router; easy to set up and use but set it a bit too deep and you may have ruined your work. LOOK AT WHAT YOUR TOOL IS DOING BEFORE YOU RUN THAT DAMN THING ALL OVER $3000 OF MATERIAL!

You can see it's still a sensitive subject with me! :doh:

Sponsor

Staff online